Pete Rose has filed for reinstatement

Jamie_B

• 2 months later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/sports/baseball/pete-rose-ban-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

Rob Manfred, the commissioner of Major League Baseball, has decided not to lift the permanent ban imposed on Pete Rose more than a quarter-century ago, meaning the player with more hits than anyone else in the sport’s history will continue to be kept out of the Hall of Fame.

The decision by Mr. Manfred, who succeeded Bud Selig as commissioner last January, has not been publicly announced. But three people familiar with the decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because they did not want to be identified discussing a matter that was supposed to remain confidential, said that Mr. Manfred had made up his mind to keep the ban intact.

Mr. Manfred had planned to inform Mr. Rose of his decision on Thursday. But after an inquiry by The New York Times on Monday morning, Mr. Manfred called Mr. Rose and told him that he would not lift the ban.

• 3 weeks later...

All the while Rose is the only player in the history of MLB to do something against the rules, then he should rightfully be kept out of the hall as an example to others. Thinking of taking performance enhancing drugs? Thinking of betting? Look at Pete Rose and be glad you chose the clean, uncorked, money-in-your-account way of life.

All the while Rose is the only player in the history of MLB to do something against the rules, then he should rightfully be kept out of the hall as an example to others. Thinking of taking performance enhancing drugs? Thinking of betting? Look at Pete Rose and be glad you chose the clean, uncorked, money-in-your-account way of life.

McGwire, Sosa, Clemons, Pettite & Bonds all heartily approve this message.  It's about integrity, like it is for Goodell.

Under MLB Rule 21, "Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That rule is on the back of every door of every clubhouse in MLB, and every player, including Rose, looked at it before taking the field before every game.

Pete is screwed, and there is nothing he can do about it; if he ever makes The Hall, his bones will be dust. Justifiably so....

• 2 months later...

Under MLB Rule 21, "Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That rule is on the back of every door of every clubhouse in MLB, and every player, including Rose, looked at it before taking the field before every game.

Pete is screwed, and there is nothing he can do about it; if he ever makes The Hall, his bones will be dust. Justifiably so....

From a league that invested in gambling like draftkings/fanduel. Give me a break lol. The original commish that suspended him had stated he would reinstate him a few years later and then passed away. Selig hated Rose and Manfred is just clueless.

MLB also has used Rose in recent years for events to help promote it and make MLB more money. The whole thing is a joke and it has nothing to do with integrity. MLB hasn't had integrity in a LONG LONG time.

From a league that invested in gambling like draftkings/fanduel. Give me a break lol. The original commish that suspended him had stated he would reinstate him a few years later and then passed away. Selig hated Rose and Manfred is just clueless.

MLB also has used Rose in recent years for events to help promote it and make MLB more money. The whole thing is a joke and it has nothing to do with integrity. MLB hasn't had integrity in a LONG LONG time.

Bart also gave Pete the option of admitting he had a problem and seek treatment for his gambling addiction, with the promise that all would be forgiven and he would return to baseball. Pete told him to get fucked. Rose made his decisions, now he gets to live with them. I no longer have any sympathy for him.

If he did support Sanders he might have a clue.

Fuck Trump.

Truly fuck them all. You nor I have anything in common with them. They all have more in common with each other and that is taking care of themselves. They all suck and if you really think any of them can make a difference or improve things well then I've got a whole lot of shit I'd like to sell you :)

Truly fuck them all. You nor I have anything in common with them. They all have more in common with each other and that is taking care of themselves. They all suck and if you really think any of them can make a difference or improve things well then I've got a whole lot of shit I'd like to sell you :)

Bernie has said he cant do it by himself. But I digress.

Trump is a fascist.

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:35 PM, Elflocko said:

Yup.

And during the time Pete was playing and managing the "permanently ineligible" clause applied exclusively to participating in baseball games.  It had nothing do to with HOF eligibility . 

The "ineligible list" rule was NOT part of the eligibility requirements when Rose and Giamatti cut their deal. The rule was added by Vincent after Giamatti's death, but before Rose was eligible to appeal (one year). Vincent unilaterally changed the eligibility rules specifically to exclude Rose. That's my primary beef with baseball -- changing the rules midstream to specifically punish one player above and beyond the agreement made between that player and the Commissioner of Baseball.

Linky: http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/September-October-2003/webexclusive_mann_sepoct03.msp

"Eight days after the agreement [between Rose and Giamatti] was signed, Giamatti died of a heart attack. A few months later, Giamatti's successor, Fay Vincent changed the eligibility rules for the baseball Hall of Fame to exclude anyone on the ineligible list from consideration for induction."

Rose signed the agreement at a time that the rules did not specifically state that he would be banned from the Hall, but just banned from active participation with baseball. He expected to apply for the Hall just a year later. Yet the rule that the agreement cited was changed soon after by one of the participants in the agreement (Vincent) in such a way that any possibility of Rose's application to the Hall would be absolutely impossible.

I wrote this on a different board twelve years ago.  Thought I'd share:

BTW:  I know I'm coming off sounding like a Rose apologist.  Growing up in the 70s and having the Big Red Machine as my hometown team might have something to do with that.  But let me set the record straight as far as my opinion goes:

I think Rose is either an idiot or a non-repentant addicted gambler.... quite possibly both.  He was brash, arrogant, and treated those around him as competitors -- including friends, family, and the media.  His style rubbed many people the wrong way, and he stepped on many, many toes.  Consequently, there aren't a lot of folks who will stand up for the guy, particularly in the media.

Rose was no choir boy, but he brought an intensity to his on field playing that had never been seen before or since.  He wasn't the fastest runner, he wasn't the best hitter, he didn't have the best arm, yet he worked his ass off to do the best with the talents God did see fit to give him, and man, did he ever do that.  "Charlie Hustle" was an apropos nickname for him.  He ran out every hit or bunt, he dove headfirst, he even sprinted to first when he received a base on balls.  Everything was full bore, balls out, 110% committed, all the time.

Nobody worked as hard as Rose, and nobody can in good faith question that his on-field performance is worthy of enshrinement in the Hall of Fame.  In my opinion, Rose was the greatest player ever to step onto the diamond.

Off the field, Rose had some serious issues.  His gambling addiction caused him to incur huge debts.  He got in trouble with the IRS for under reporting his winnings, and ended up serving time in the slammer for tax evasion.  He probably bet on baseball while managing the Reds.  If so, he committed the ultimate sin against the game, regardless of whether or not those bets included his own team.  He was fully aware of the consequences of betting on baseball -- expulsion.  Every player, manager, coach, front office dude, usher, ball boy, and mascot gets briefed by MLB on a regular basis on that rule.... if Rose bet on baseball, he has no excuse for not knowing what would happen.

But expulsion did not exclude him from Hall of Fame consideration, at least not until then-Commissioner Vincent unilaterally changed the eligibility criteria.  As I have stated previously, I believe Rose fully-expected to be eligible for the HoF when he and Giamatti reached their agreement.  Vincent's decision to change the rules was, to put it bluntly, cowardly and unfair.

I agree that there is sufficient evidence to imply that Rose bet on baseball.  As such, I believe that Rose should not be permitted to be placed in a position where he can influence the outcome of an MLB ballgame.  However, his offenses against baseball were committed as a manager, not as a player.  His performance as a player is inarguably HoF-worthy, and his enshrinement among the game's greatest players should have already happened.  The only reason it has not was because of the action of then-Commissioner Vincent.

Today, there are many indignant sports writers who say that they will not vote for Rose under any circumstances.  That's their choice, but in my opinion, it only serves to show how petty and small they are.  There is no doubt that Rose the player should be in the Hall.  He would have been a unanimous first ballot enshrinee had his name been on that ballot -- the records he set, the statistics he compiled are no different today than they were when he retired from playing.  The only thing that's different is that Pete has steadfastly refused to admit he gambled on baseball.

And what I find particularly irksome, beyond the fact that the Commissioner of baseball changed the rules midstream, is the fact that nobody's considered the possibility that Rose did not bet on baseball.  Sure, the circumstantial evidence may be darned-near overwhelming, but its still entirely possible that Rose never ever placed a single bet on a baseball game.  And if that were the case, then Rose's actions for the past 13 years are completely reasonable.

As far as his "admission" this week.... as I've said, that could be part of a plea-bargain between Rose and MLB.  I don't think it's probable, but it is possible, and the little kid in me who grew up wanting to emulate Charlie Hustle is still clinging to that sliver of a chance that maybe, just maybe, Pete Rose really didn't do it.

• 2 years later...

Archived