Donald Trump to launch exploratory committee for a potenital 2016 run

Go Skins

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Interesting.  I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that she wouldn't be, so I'm not sure what he's waiting to see there? Is she going to have some sort of spiritual awakening during an epic DJ set at a Summer festival perhaps?  Donald Trump is the best thing she has going for her.  If she wasn't running against a total shit stain I don't think she'd have a prayer.  Trump's ties to the Clintons are suspect given the circumstances.

That he doesnt want to risk a possibility of Trump. 

Its not like he cant vote how he wants to though. He lives in CA, Trump has zero chance there.

21 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

That he doesnt want to risk a possibility of Trump. 

Its not like he cant vote how he wants to though. He lives in CA, Trump has zero chance there.

I'm interested in seeing where he does draw votes.  I suspect it won't be the typical Red/Blue split.  Much like that 1968 George Wallace vote I mentioned before, it will be a good barometer of where we are as a nation.  A total rejection of his bullshit would be a nice silver lining to being saddled with yet another corporate puppet.  I think a split or at least reform of his party also becomes more likely the worse he does, & that would be wonderful.  So long as we're stuck in a 2-party system it would be good if one of them wasn't pandering to the completely batshit and/or hateful fringe. 

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm interested in seeing where he does draw votes.  I suspect it won't be the typical Red/Blue split.  Much like that 1968 George Wallace vote I mentioned before, it will be a good barometer of where we are as a nation.  A total rejection of his bullshit would be a nice silver lining to being saddled with yet another corporate puppet.  I think a split or at least reform of his party also becomes more likely the worse he does, & that would be wonderful.  So long as we're stuck in a 2-party system it would be good if one of them wasn't pandering to the completely batshit and/or hateful fringe. 

If the R's do split I imagine it would be more towards libertarians vs traditional conservatives. Trump losing will just give the bigots nowhere to go really imo. I think his appeal racits aside has to do with working class whites losing their jobs to nafta and other free trade deals. 

Sanders being opposed to the TPP could draw them in if he would split off from the Dems and start his own part, if the Dems stay loyal to their corporate sponsors instead of the people, I could see the progressives forming their own party too.

32 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If the R's do split I imagine it would be more towards libertarians vs traditional conservatives. Trump losing will just give the bigots nowhere to go really imo. I think his appeal racits aside has to do with working class whites losing their jobs to nafta and other free trade deals.

I think they're simply going to have to distance themselves from the religious far right & racists if they want to win another presidency.  Disenfranchising voters hasn't worked for them, at least not at that level, so they're going to have to appeal to someone beyond angry white folks. 

As far as the Dems splitting - I don't think that happens so long as the Republican side remains what it is now.  Like we're seeing in this election, it's just too easy for them to point across the aisle at someone like Trump and say "at least we're not that!"

21 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Maybe but I think there is a lot of discontent among Democrats and Progressives too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Across the board, really.  Unfortunately it's more likely to translate to apathy & low voter turnout rather than anything substantial. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Either or both major candidates could be forced to withdraw.  Lots of skeletons between them.  Is it crazy to think a former CIA director might know something about them that I don't?

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Either or both major candidates could be forced to withdraw.  Lots of skeletons between them.  Is it crazy to think a former CIA director might know something about them that I don't?

With Trump its obvious why. My guess with Clinton, working in the classified space myself, its her BS answers to the email server stuff.

I think the election will be closer than it shows right now, but regardless of the outcome....in the next election there will be another "Bernie"  and another "Trump".

Establishment politics in both parties has taken a major hit and an "outsider" will eventually win and I believe it will be sooner than later.

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

With Trump its obvious why. My guess with Clinton, working in the classified space myself, its her BS answers to the email server stuff.

That or some old shit.  Her & Slick Willie have done enough dirt; nothing would surprise me.

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I think the election will be closer than it shows right now, but regardless of the outcome....in the next election there will be another "Bernie"  and another "Trump".

Establishment politics in both parties has taken a major hit and an "outsider" will eventually win and I believe it will be sooner than later.

You really think those 2 are outsiders?  Bernie's been in DC for the last 25 years & Trump is the exact type of plutocrat these career politicians have served for the last.. well.

Obviously their policies are night & day but they're both card-carrying members of the wealthy power elite. Let's not kid ourselves.

You really think those 2 are outsiders?  Bernie's been in DC for the last 25 years & Trump is the exact type of plutocrat these career politicians have served for the last.. well.

Obviously their policies are night & day but they're both card-carrying members of the wealthy power elite. Let's not kid ourselves.

But they are perceived to be outsiders.  I think it was amazing how well Bernie did considering the fix was in.  After Obama hijacked the nomination from Hillary in 2008, the Clinton Foundation was going to make sure it didn't happen again.  And I do not think only the millenials were the only ones voting for Sanders.

In the realm of politics it was also amazing what Trump did.  The well oiled and financed Republican machines of the Bushes, Cruz's and Rubio's never stood a chance and the guy barely spent a dime.  And I also don't believe his only supporters are xenophobic, racist white guys as much as the media wants to make it out to be.

I can't believe that the email thing is still being talked about.  Should you use personal email for gov business no.

As for the classified part, they make it seem like it's uncommon for classified info to be sent on the unclassified system.  Don't get me wrong it's not done everyday but when it happened it was a line in daily report that it happened and what cleaning actions were taken.

14 hours ago, RayDoggBengal said:

I can't believe that the email thing is still being talked about.  Should you use personal email for gov business no.

As for the classified part, they make it seem like it's uncommon for classified info to be sent on the unclassified system.  Don't get me wrong it's not done everyday but when it happened it was a line in daily report that it happened and what cleaning actions were taken.

I'll just say this, as the FBI directory alluded to, ..if I did what she did I would be in hot water.

Right, he said he would be in hot water, not fired, no reprimanded.  It would be for using a personal email/server for official business.  He nor anyone has ever gotten in trouble for receiving a classified document whether it was marked correctly or not.  The person who created it on the unclassified network may get slapped around a bit but unless it was done on purpose that's about it.

22 hours ago, westside bengal said:

And I also don't believe his only supporters are xenophobic, racist white guys as much as the media wants to make it out to be.

Not his only supporters, no.  They're just the most vocal, which tells me enough.  His rallies aren't exactly melting pots of friendly diversity, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it wrong for me to throw the Nazi salute at people with Trump yard signs?  I was tempted to flip them the bird but then realized that, as a middle-aged white dude with a shaved head, they wouldn't necessarily know if I was an actual Nazi or trying to insult them.  Figure that might just possibly make them question their support.

I will be shocked if Butler County doesn't go to Trump.  It really is too bad that the DNC decided to go with their business-as-usual corruption instead of backing a candidate that people were actually excited about.  I don't expect many Trump supporters would vote for a Jewish candidate but it might have helped with the 3rd party voter drain at least.  I keep hoping one or both candidates will have to resign from the race.  Both of them are more deserving of a cell than the Oval Office.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-charity-gave-100000-to-david-bossies-citizens-united-that-helped-fund-lawsuit-against-moguls-foe-151337835.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Trump charity gave $100,000 to David Bossie’s Citizens United that helped fund lawsuit against mogul’s foe

Donald Trump’s charitable foundation gave $100,000 in 2014 to a conservative activist group that was used to help finance a federal lawsuit against New York state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman — the same public official who was suing the real estate mogul for fraud over the operations of Trump University.

The size and timing of the donation to the Citizens United Foundation, an arm of the sprawling conservative network run by David Bossie, who is now Trump’s deputy campaign manager, could raise fresh questions about whether Trump has used his tax-exempt charity to further political and personal causes.

It is a claim, actively promoted by Hillary Clinton’s campaign, that got new attention this week after Trump’s foundation acknowledged paying a penalty to the IRS for an improper $25,000 donation to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi’s reelection campaign during a time her office was considering whether to join Schneiderman’s lawsuit against Trump University.

A review of tax returns filed by the Trump Foundation shows that the 2014 donation to Bossie’s Citizens United Foundation was by far the largest it gave to any organization that year, substantially exceeding its contributions to more traditional charities, such as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (which got $50,000), the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute ($25,000) and the Police Athletic League ($25,000).

It was also the first time the Citizens United Foundation had ever received funding from Trump’s charity.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump walks in the rain with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, as they arrive at a campaign rally in Tampa, Fla., on Aug. 24, 2016. (Photo: Gerald Herbert/AP)View photos
Donald Trump arrives at a campaign rally in Tampa, Fla., with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi on Aug. 24, 2016. (Photo: Gerald Herbert/AP)
More
While the donation to Bossie’s group has been mentioned in some media accounts, what has gone unnoticed until now is a major project of Citizens United at the time: a lawsuit it filed that year — since dismissed by a federal judge — against Schneiderman, New York’s Democratic attorney general, over his efforts to require nonprofit groups such as Citizens United to disclose the identity of their donors under seal to the New York State Charities Bureau.

Schneiderman by then had become a major political nemesis of Trump. In 2013, Schneiderman had filed his own lawsuit, still pending in New York state courts, accusing Trump of ripping off students at Trump University through fraudulent and deceptive trade practices, promising to teach them to “make a killing” in the real estate market but, according to the suit, delivering courses that had little if any value.

Trump, in response, launched a public relations and legal counterattack against Schneiderman. He accused him in a Twitter barrage of being a “lightweight hack” who brought the suit for political purposes. He filed a complaint against Schneiderman with the New York ethics agency (since dismissed) over donations the attorney general had solicited from his daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, while his office was investigating Trump University. Trump, in a later interview, described Schneiderman as “a low-life, a sleazebag” who was part of a “cesspool of corruption” in New York politics.

The attack on Schneiderman’s tactics was soon reinforced in the lawsuit filed by Citizens United and the Citizens United Foundation on May 24, 2014, by the lawyer for both groups, Donald F. McGahn, a Republican campaign finance attorney and former Federal Election Commission chair who is now the chief counsel for the Trump presidential campaign. (Citizens United is a “social welfare” organization that is permitted to engage in political activity. The legal battle over its film critical of Hillary Clinton led to the controversial 2010 Supreme Court decision permitting corporations, unions and wealthy donors to spend unlimited amounts on political ads. The Citizens United Foundation is an affiliate “educational” charity that is located at the same Washington, D.C., address with the same phone number. Both groups are headed by Bossie.)

Bossie charged — in a press release still displayed on the Citizens United Foundation website — that he brought the suit because the “First Amendment was under attack by the New York Attorney General.” In court documents, he asserted that major donors had pulled back from donating to his organizations because they feared their identities would become public if Citizens United submitted its list of donors to Schneiderman’s office and this had infringed on Citizens United’s constitutional right to criticize the New York attorney general. As an example, Bossie submitted a draft fundraising appeal that he said he was unable to send out, due to the fears expressed by his donors, that accused Schneiderman of being an “out of control tyrant.” (Another draft fundraising appeal submitted by Bossie in the lawsuit solicited funds for another film that would expose “the real, ruthless Hillary Clinton” and how she left “four Americans to die in Benghazi.”)

The Trump Foundation’s tax return for 2014 lists the purpose of its $100,000 donation as “general” support for the activities of the Citizens United Foundation. The Citizens United Foundation’s tax return for that year lists as, among its three major activities, its “legal research and judicial action program” that included “litigation support in defense of human and civil rights.”

A spokesman for Schneiderman said that neither the attorney general nor other senior officials in his office were aware that Trump’s charitable arm had given money to the Citizens United Foundation until it was brought to their attention this week by Yahoo News.

But after being provided a copy of the Trump Foundation’s publicly filed tax return, showing the donation was made the same year that the Citizens United Foundation filed its lawsuit against Schneiderman, the spokesman, Eric Soufer, said in an email: “If Donald Trump has proven anything over the past three years, it’s that he’ll do anything to pursue his bizarre but predictable vendetta against this office. … Funding a meritless lawsuit against this office would be nothing new for someone like Donald Trump, who has filed baseless ethics complaints, planted bogus stories, and tweeted a steady stream of incoherent insults just to make himself feel better for being exposed as the fraud he clearly is.”

Neither Trump’s campaign nor Bossie responded to requests for comment. But in an email, Michael Boos, Citizens United’s executive vice president and general counsel, said “there is no relationship at all between the gift [from the Trump Foundation] and our lawsuit challenging the New York Charities Bureau’s demand for donor lists from nonprofit organizations soliciting contributions in New York. The timing of the lawsuit was based on Schneiderman’s efforts at the time to gain access to the donor information. … Schneiderman’s claim that our lawsuit is part of a Donald Trump vendetta against him is consistent with our belief that he suffers from delusional paranoia and should never be trusted with access to confidential donor information.”

Late last month, U.S. Judge Sidney H. Stein in New York dismissed the Citizens United lawsuit, concluding that its complaint “states not a single plausible claim upon which relief can be granted.” Boos of Citizen United said the organization is now considering whether to appeal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived