2015 Season Thread

JC

I don't get it. The thing that's most valuable in baseball is starting pitching, and we had a fucking ace. Yeah his contract would've been massive, but we paid Homer the Horrible like he was Rijo.

Homer is why we could not afford to keep Cueto.  And he is not horrible.

He's just not Cueto.

Reds just traded Leake to the Giants.  Got 2 players in return.  Pitcher Keury Mella (Right hander) 

and Adam Duvall, 1st baseman and 3rd baseman.  

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/139898470/reds-trade-mike-leake-to-giants

Apparently Keury Mella was ranked the Giants top prospect by MLB.com

I don't get Duvall.  He's a horrible defensive 3B and we are locked in at 1B for 8 years or so.

Don't think it happened, but Jay's not in the starting line-up tonight.  Byrd is.  Wondering if Byrd will be an August trade.

Guess they think they can compete next year..

I guess I have to give them some credit for doing what needs to be done, but damned if it isn't depressing watching the starting rotation get dismantled while the underperforming players, their bloated contracts, and the guy who presided over the whole shitshow manage to linger like an ex-gf's perfume.

I admit that I don't know baseball that much, if at all.   All I know is that, once again the Reds are irrevelant in the conversation for competing for a pennant, and once again we have to watch really talented people walk because the Reds can't match what other richer (not to mention more revelant) teams can offer.

At least it seems that the Bengals acually seem to try to make a push for a ring, if the four straight postseason appearances in the last four years say anything about it...

Walt called it a "reboot" instead of a rebuild.  Also said Duvall will be playing left field in L'ville.

Still don't have the pitching to compete next year.

They have the pitching for next year. They don't have the hitting yet. They've got a ton of very good and young arms that will build a very good starting 5 next year.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25275961/reds-trade-marlon-byrd-to-giants

The Cincinnati Reds traded outfielder Marlon Byrd to the San Francisco Giants, both clubs announced Thursday afternoon. In exchange, a 24-year-old right-handed minor-league pitcher named Stephen Johnson heads to the Reds.

Byrd, who turns 38 years old Aug. 30, is batting .237 with 19 home runs and a .735 on-base plus slugging percentage in 388 plate appearances. He has hit 150 home runs over 1,500 career games, though he's something of a late bloomer: 68 of Byrd's career homers have come since the start of the 2013 season, and 110 homers have come since 2009, when he turned 31.

The Giants also are getting cash to cover part of Byrd's salary, which is $8 million this season. He has a vesting option for 2016 that would pay another $8 million, and he needs 162 plate appearances to reach it. The Giants have 42 games remaining, so it's attainable, without a big margin for days off.

• 1 month later...

Seems like Walt's go to move.  $8 million for a washed up left fielder.  Hopefully Winker or Duvall will change that.  

Are we sure we can't simply trade Walt? Or maybe tell him Lassie saw a bat boy from the '04 Cardinals at the bottom of a well & then change the locks when he rushes to offer him a multi-million dollar lifetime contract.

Archived