Troy Polamalu Retires

Elflocko

HOF player. Dude was something else on the field. Happy I got to witness it even if he was a Steeler. He always seemed like a good dude, and from all I've ever heard, he is.

There was a point a few years back when he started spearing people and doing the usual dirty "Stiller Footbaw!" bullshit.  It was the first or second game of that season and he'd already pulled 2 personal fouls in the first 5-10 minutes. He dove into a guy's knee while he was on the ground, put him out for several weeks at least if not IR.  On the next series someone returned the favor and Troy missed the rest of that season.

So yeah, after that he more or less played within the rules, or at least as much as one can on that shitheel team without getting benched.

That dude was one bad mother. One of the few I genuinely respected. Had the ability to take over a game with just one play. he kind of sucked these past few years but he just absolutely used to destroy Carson.

That's a shame.  For the past couple of years he's been the best player the Bengals had on the field - he was terrible at overpursuing, he would frequently miss tackles trying to go for the "hard hit" rather than just bring the player down, he would fly at receivers and get out of position to do anything to stop completions.

I was really hoping The Hair would be a starter for the Steelers for another dozen years.

HOF player. Dude was something else on the field. Happy I got to witness it even if he was a Steeler. He always seemed like a good dude, and from all I've ever heard, he is.

He really was a good guy.  A friend of mine goes to the same church as Troy, and says he's just one of the nicest dudes you'd ever want to meet.  He'd volunteer to play in pickup basketball games if a team was short, always going out of his way to say hi to people, etc.

And there's a ton of stories floating around about him doing awesome things under the radar.  He was a weakly visitor at the local Children's hospital, always alone, never with a camera crew (aside from team-sponsored visits he took part in).  There's a place he visits in Johnstown, PA (my hometown) during training camp to eat once in a hwile, and he's been known to pick up the tab of everyone in the restaurant when he goes.  

And that's just what I've heard from his work around Pittsburgh.  He supposedly does a ton for kids in the Samoan Islands as well.  

Most athletes have their public persona, and their private persona, which are often very, very different.  But Troy just seems like a very genuine and sincere guy through and through.  I've literally never heard a bad thing about the guy...which is kind of rare for a big-time athlete in a smallish city.  Usually, just when you start to respect an athlete, you get the "yeah, but I ran into him a bar last weekend and was a complete asshole!". stories.  But I have to hear a single one of those about Troy. 

He clearly wasn't the player he once was, and from a personnel and salary cap perspective, this is the best thing that could have happened.  But I'll still be sad to see him go.  

Archived