anyone order an Apple Watch?

I'm having a hard time figuring out the need for a smartwatch, apple or android. I guess for women/people that keep their phones in a purse or bag it would be convenient. Or maybe as a replacement for the workout tracking watches. For me, I'd rather just pull my phone out of my pocket.

I haven't really compared features, but I think the best looking is the moto 360.

I'm waiting on huawei smartwatch.

http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/worldwide/huawei-watch/

And rumor has it that the goal of the android smartwatches is to work with any phone or connected device and your IoT stuff at home. I'm still not completely buying into Apple until they open their infrastructure more and bank less on technologies that work exclusively with their devices at a cost premium I;m not willing to pay.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the need for a smartwatch, apple or android. I guess for women/people that keep their phones in a purse or bag it would be convenient. Or maybe as a replacement for the workout tracking watches. For me, I'd rather just pull my phone out of my pocket.

I haven't really compared features, but I think the best looking is the moto 360.

there are a few decent features, most are convenience more than an actual use, like rejecting a call or replaying to a text without getting the phone out, etc..

i ordered two, hoping to flip them for profits, i will need to see one and play with it before i spend any money on it.. the apple pay option is nice, i forget my wallet a lot, and Sprouts takes apple pay, so thats helpful. 

the health stuff is a plus, the perfect storm is if you already wear a watch, have a fitness band, and want to use apple pay and stuff.. its eliminates a lot of items into one...

if not, its just a gadget..

I'm waiting on huawei smartwatch.

http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/worldwide/huawei-watch/

And rumor has it that the goal of the android smartwatches is to work with any phone or connected device and your IoT stuff at home. I'm still not completely buying into Apple until they open their infrastructure more and bank less on technologies that work exclusively with their devices at a cost premium I;m not willing to pay.

the coolest smart watch feature ever is the Gear S by samsung, has its own cell radio, so if you leave your phone at home, or locked in a gym locker or in the car at a sports event, etc, it auto forwards calls to the watch, the watch does data and calls on its own... very cool...

as for the not working with other things.. thats what i like about apple. they keep everything in house so some other 3rd party product cant fuck it up, 90% of my day is undoing android app issues and software problems, 10 different phone makers, 50 different processors, 100 diffferent kinds of ram, 50 different screen resolutions alllllll working on one open source barely regulated apps dumpster fire.... makes me want to walk onto railroad tracks...

as for the not working with other things.. thats what i like about apple. they keep everything in house so some other 3rd party product cant fuck it up, 90% of my day is undoing android app issues and software problems, 10 different phone makers, 50 different processors, 100 diffferent kinds of ram, 50 different screen resolutions alllllll working on one open source barely regulated apps dumpster fire.... makes me want to walk onto railroad tracks...

So much this. I feel the same way about Android as I do about Windows on the desktop...

So much this. I feel the same way about Android as I do about Windows on the desktop...

i think its a being old thing...

when i was younger, i didnt care if i had to spend a few hours on my computer or wiping my phone and restoring, or whatever.. it was almost enjoyable...

but now im old and tired, and i dont want to deal with anything like that ever...

also i couldnt find my phone for about 2 hours earlier.. but i was working on my macbook in the meantime, and responded to SMS, answered a few calls, etc... the flawless integration is enjoyable.. phone was in my sons room that i was putting up shelving in his closet earlier...couldnt find my level, so i downlaoded a level app to use... like a nerd..also found out that none of the brackets for his existing shelves is screwed into studs...... fucking home builders..

I debated getting one of these, but can't really justify the cost right now.  I want to see how the reviews go and maybe I'll wait until the second generation comes out and get one of these.  I don't wear watches usually, but would like to have the GPS/heart rate/step data for health purposes.  

I could probably get a fitbit and call it a day, but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I just think that my fat fingers are challenged enough on the iPhone 6 screen, no way I'd be able to work on that tiny watch screen. I do like the Mickey Mouse screen in the advertising though. That alone would sell me.

I have to ask, Go, and I'm honestly curious because I don't understand it, seriously not being a douche, why on earth would anyone buy those watches from you at such a high price when they can just go to the Apple store or order online for the going price? I was surprised when you said you were buying them to turn them over for a profit. Just made me wonder what the deal was. Can people not get them for the going rate? 

MULLY

I just think that my fat fingers are challenged enough on the iPhone 6 screen, no way I'd be able to work on that tiny watch screen. I do like the Mickey Mouse screen in the advertising though. That alone would sell me.

I have to ask, Go, and I'm honestly curious because I don't understand it, seriously not being a douche, why on earth would anyone buy those watches from you at such a high price when they can just go to the Apple store or order online for the going price? I was surprised when you said you were buying them to turn them over for a profit. Just made me wonder what the deal was. Can people not get them for the going rate? 

MULLY

they are back ordered until june and they wont be at the apple store for over a month minimum..

i upgraded with the store app using instant buy with apple pay the second the store went online... so i got some of the first ones available.. got one yesterday already.. my brother in lay is listed for 6-8 weeks delivery, and my co workers who ordered SECONDS after me, literally our order times are 25-35 seconds apart, are mid-late may delivery times

Artificial scarcity is part of the business model

kind of. they sold 2.3 million in the first day. and only launched in 1/3rd of the countries it will launch in. there are two ways to launch a big product, 1. get as many thrown together as possible and on the market.. and 2. make sure they are all perfect to minimize defects and get what you can to market, pick a date, go with it.

for example. 13% of samsung s6 and s6 edge have been returned/exchanged and another 8% have had to be "serviced" since launch.

never seen apple exchange over 2% service is usually about 5% (service includes people not smart enough to use said device which is usually 3-4%).

the return/exchange number also includes customers who returned due to service coverage or whatever, usually 1-2%.

i dont feel apple slows production or holds back inventory to create scarcity, they do a few things, firstly they have a process that works in putting a product together and dont vary from it, they dont give a fuck how long you have to wait for it. and secondly they dont sit on stock, they arent going to make a launch a month later to allow for more stock, they are spending tens of millions manufacturing, to let it sit in a warehouse and extra month just to launch with more stock is pointless, they still dont care how long you have to wait, youll still buy it, and as mentioned it creates a good buzz.

no sense spending even more on staff, buildings, etc to manufacture if you arent going to lose sales over it. 

my 2 cents after going through 5 apple and 6 samsung launches..

now if apple would move the serial number and SKU sticker to the bottom of the back instead of the back... my life would be a LOT easier..

Archived