With the Chargers not re-signing Rivers, this will most likely make him a free agent next year.  If this happens, and they don't trade him to TEN to move up to #2 in the draft this year, I think it would be smart for us to make a play for Rivers.  He's obviously not the long-term answer at QB, but he's a proven QB.  I don't know what the money would look like either; he'll be 34 next year and if he stays healthy you could probably get another two or three years out of him while you look for someone else in the draft.  Thoughts?

It almost makes sense to try to trade for him this year assuming SD wants to trade up to get Mariotta.  If we traded them our #1, Dalton and maybe a 4 or 5, they'd have 2 #1s this year and a #1 next year they could use to get to #2 and draft Mariotta.  That actually may be too much for us to give up for a 33 y/o QB, but I think that would make us a true SB contender this year and possibly next if we we re-sign some of our big guns.

Never gonna happen but...

Draft day

Mariotta falls to pick 5 redskins on the clock.

Three way trade:
Redskins get picks 17, 21, Andy Dalton
Chargers get pick 5 and take Mariotta
Bengals get Rivers

Skins get grudens hand picked Qb that he led to 3 playoff appearances and still get 2 first rounders.
Chargers get the young Qb they want.
Bengals get a vet Qb to push them over the edge.

Win win win?

I think Phillip is destined for the Titans.  Played ball at NC State and grew up in Bama.  Although if he did want to win, there may not be a better option outside of us.  Maybe Houston, possibly Buffalo.

I think Phillip is destined for the Titans.  Played ball at NC State and grew up in Bama.  Although if he did want to win, there may not be a better option outside of us.  Maybe Houston, possibly Buffalo.

Rivers will have his choice of 10+ cities to choose from in FA.

He's a different dude. Has 7 kids and doesn't want anything to do with moving the family to Los Angeles (which seems to be the main reason he hasn't signed an extension). Cincinnati's a good place to raise a family and maybe would have a shot, but I think you're right that he'd probably prefer somewhere in the South. 

Not to mention, if San Diego doesn't move to LA, I think he'd be highly likely to sign an extension as he loves San Diego. Just a ton of unknowns. And it's possible that the Chargers would franchise tag him too. 

Rivers is actually an interesting comparison to Dalton at this stage in his career. The table below shows that through their first 4 years, Rivers and Dalton put up similar numbers - QB rating, completion %, yds per attempt, TDs per attempt and sack rate are all very close (I've converted values to per game to account for Rivers barely playing in his first two years). The only area where Rivers looks clearly better is interception %, and that is somewhat offset by his propensity for fumbling (I actually though Andy had fumbling issues, so was surprised by that aspect of the comparison).

Rivers' 5th year was a real turning point in his career with a marked jump in almost every category. Hopefully Dalton's career can follow the same trajectory!

Dalton Rivers (first 4 years) Rivers (after first 4 years)

Att/G 33 26.4 33.3

Comp/G 20.3 16.1 21.8

Completion % 61.6 60.8 65.6

Yds/G 230.6 185.8 267.6

Yds/Att 6.99 7.04 8.04

TD % 4.69 4.63 5.58

Int % 3.13 2.63 2.6

QB rating 85.2 86.6 98

Fumbles/game 0.23 0.61 0.5

Sacks/att 5.68 5.58 6.25

Rivers is actually an interesting comparison to Dalton at this stage in his career. The table below shows that through their first 4 years, Rivers and Dalton put up similar numbers - QB rating, completion %, yds per attempt, TDs per attempt and sack rate are all very close (I've converted values to per game to account for Rivers barely playing in his first two years). The only area where Rivers looks clearly better is interception %, and that is somewhat offset by his propensity for fumbling (I actually though Andy had fumbling issues, so was surprised by that aspect of the comparison).

Rivers' 5th year was a real turning point in his career with a marked jump in almost every category. Hopefully Dalton's career can follow the same trajectory!

Att/G 33 26.4 33.3

Comp/G 20.3 16.1 21.8

Yds/G 230.6 185.8 267.6

Yds/Att 6.99 7.04 8.04

TD % 4.69 4.63 5.58

Int % 3.13 2.63 2.6

QB rating 85.2 86.6 98

Sacks/att 5.68 5.58 6.25

just as pointless as the dalton manning stats comparisons..  completely different decades, styles of play, surrounding cast, etc...

utterly pointless..

Att/G 33 26.4 33.3
Comp/G 20.3 16.1 21.8
Yds/G 230.6 185.8 267.6
Yds/Att 6.99 7.04 8.04
TD % 4.69 4.63 5.58
Int % 3.13 2.63 2.6
QB rating 85.2 86.6 98
Sacks/att 5.68 5.58 6.25

How does Rivers perform in big games and most importantly, playoffs? That's all I care about anymore.

How does Rivers perform in big games and most importantly, playoffs? That's all I care about anymore.

Rivers at the end of his career has been to zero superbowls so let's rent him a year or two to get ours. Yep, common sense

Rivers at the end of his career has been to zero superbowls so let's rent him a year or two to get ours. Yep, common sense

Ah, so he is the only one on his team playing during the regular season games? No wonder they can't win. He needs 10 more players on the field with him.

I don't care how a team gets to the playoffs, a QB that doesn't shit down his leg in every big game and playoff game (ala Flacco) is all I care about. It doesn't matter if he is mediocre in the regular season. Dalton isn't always the only weakness in these games- but he is the glaring, major weakness.

Rivers is more often than not the strength in his team.

Ah, so he is the only one on his team playing during the regular season games? No wonder they can't win. He needs 10 more players on the field with him.

If only you could apply this logic to the QB we already have.

I don't care how a team gets to the playoffs, a QB that doesn't shit down his leg in every big game and playoff game (ala Flacco) is all I care about. It doesn't matter if he is mediocre in the regular season.

Actually it does matter, quite a bit.  You don't make the postseason to begin with otherwise.  Kind of a cart-before-the-horse situation you've got there.

Dalton isn't always the only weakness in these games- but he is the glaring, major weakness.

Except for, y'know, when he isn't.  Like the WC loss to the Colts, for example.  Nothing stellar but he played plenty well enough to win.  The glaring, major weakness there being that our receivers not named AJ can't get open or even stay on the field. Y'know, those WR's that are Top 3 in the league when you want to bash Dalton?  Kinda nonexistent in the postseason there.

Archived