New nerd things at my house

Had the day off, finally, so aside from going to a movie, i installed my Nest thermostat, and installed a electronic pin code lock on the garage, basically in a few years i dont want my kids carrying around keys to my house.. so they can get into the garage with a code and into the house with a code then have the alarm code..

with the next i can adjust temp from my phone/ipad/computer from anywhere, like once i left the AC on 69 in july when we went on vacation...

or lazy laying in bed, too hot, BOOM turn that shit down without braving the steps in the dark.

i got the door all dirty installing it.. but you get the point.

[attachment=1691:11179662_10206768368150723_401496735_o.jpg]

nest:

[attachment=1692:11196566_10206767736734938_817780695_o.jpg]

Is the nest programmable?

yes.. they ahve the learning feature that self programs.. but you can program too.. i just set the high and low and move on.. so it doesnt have to be turned to heat or cold it just does it based n my preferences.. etc..

i currently have a programmable one that i set to turn off when im out of the house to save money, and turn on about an hour before i get home so its back to normal by the time i get home, that's why i ask

but im like you, wanna be able to be lazy and turn up the heat (or down) when im on the couch :lol:

I tried the ecobee3 and couldn't get it working right with my heat pump/gas combo. Not sure if the unit was defective or what, but wouldn't turn the fan on with the heat pump (not even sure heat pump was going), only when the backup gas went on. I returned it, but tempted to try again as my research shows there shouldn't be an issue with my setup.

I tried the ecobee3 and couldn't get it working right with my heat pump/gas combo. Not sure if the unit was defective or what, but wouldn't turn the fan on with the heat pump (not even sure heat pump was going), only when the backup gas went on. I returned it, but tempted to try again as my research shows there shouldn't be an issue with my setup.

the nest says itll do that, but recommends professional installation..

so hard to say what that really means..

I finally broke down and got a Dremel, does that count? I also got a Logitech 3d Pro for flight sims.

luckily my dada lives .8 miles away in the same neighborhood,, so i have unlimited tools at my fingertips..

sidenote on the keycode lock.. its LOUD when the motor unlocks.. obviously a non issue but figured i would note.

Archived