La'el Collins

I feel bad for him. He got screwed out of millions of dollars and seems to have done absolutely nothing wrong other than having bad taste in women. The only benefit is he gets to pick his team and situation and as long as he isn't a bust he will be able to sign a large extension sooner.

I feel bad for him. He got screwed out of millions of dollars and seems to have done absolutely nothing wrong other than having bad taste in women. The only benefit is he gets to pick his team and situation and as long as he isn't a bust he will be able to sign a large extension sooner.

yeah idk look at burfict, hes getting paid now!  its not a bad idea.

Yeah really unfair. NFL should of let him in the supplemental draft.

Doubt he'd be interested in us given we just drafted two tackles in 1&2 but if he is and all is clear I hope we get him.

Still, the fact that no one even used a 7th on him makes me think one of two things. Either NFL teams know something we don't about the legal situation, or he's (rightfully) throwing a fit and making high salary demands.

Is it legal for him to sign a 1 year deal then get a market value contract next year?

Yeah really unfair. NFL should of let him in the supplemental draft.

Doubt he'd be interested in us given we just drafted two tackles in 1&2 but if he is and all is clear I hope we get him.

Still, the fact that no one even used a 7th on him makes me think one of two things. Either NFL teams know something we don't about the legal situation, or he's (rightfully) throwing a fit and making high salary demands.

Is it legal for him to sign a 1 year deal then get a market value contract next year?

Teams probably passed on him late in the draft either due to off the record recommendations from the league office or due to his threat to sit out a year and enter next year's draft. A team should have called his bluff though. If he weren't cleared by the police the team could decline to sign him. If he made good on his threat and sat out a year, it's only a 7th round pick.

Yes, it's legal to sign him to a 1 year contract. Next year he'd be an ERFA with no bargaining leverage but a team could pay him well if they wanted to and thus get around the limits of the rookie pool.

Yes, it's legal to sign him to a 1 year contract. Next year he'd be an ERFA with no bargaining leverage but a team could pay him well if they wanted to and thus get around the limits of the rookie pool.

OK, ...I'm confused.

How can you have a 1 year contract and the team retains restricted rights to you?  You wouldn't have a contract with that team after the contract ends.

OK, ...I'm confused.

How can you have a 1 year contract and the team retains restricted rights to you?  You wouldn't have a contract with that team.

Players don't reach restricted free agency til they have 3 years of accrued service. So a player with only 1 or 2 years of service who is out of contract is what's called an "exclusive rights free agent" meaning he can't negotiate with other teams. His options are to re-sign with the team he just played for or retire. Because he has no options, teams usually only offer a vet minimum salary. Chris Lewis-Harris was a Bengals ERFA this offseason for instance.

With Collins, he's in demand by multiple teams so he can probably get a letter from the team he signs with assuring him they'll make up for his UDFA status with a good second deal. That letter isn't legally binding but Collins' agent would have it in hand to show and destroy the reputation of the team that didn't honor it. The letter could say that he'd be paid at the level of the 50th overall pick or something like that. So after 1 year at vet minimum, his second deal would run for seasons 2-4 with a signing bonus comparable to the 50th pick, etc. Collins would have then recouped his losses from being a UDFA and still hit unrestricted free agency after 4 seasons. If he chooses a team where he's a surefire starter, he'll get performance based pay in addition and strengthen his hand for future contracts.

Also, ...would a CFL contract pay more than an NFL one at this point?

Theoretically it could but in practice no. CFL teams don't have the money of NFL teams and linemen aren't highly paid. 

Players don't reach restricted free agency til they have 3 years of accrued service. So a player with only 1 or 2 years of service who is out of contract is what's called an "exclusive rights free agent" meaning he can't negotiate with other teams. His options are to re-sign with the team he just played for or retire. Because he has no options, teams usually only offer a vet minimum salary. Chris Lewis-Harris was a Bengals ERFA this offseason for instance.

With Collins, he's in demand by multiple teams so he can probably get a letter from the team he signs with assuring him they'll make up for his UDFA status with a good second deal. That letter isn't legally binding but Collins' agent would have it in hand to show and destroy the reputation of the team that didn't honor it. The letter could say that he'd be paid at the level of the 50th overall pick or something like that. So after 1 year at vet minimum, his second deal would run for seasons 2-4 with a signing bonus comparable to the 50th pick, etc. Collins would have then recouped his losses from being a UDFA and still hit unrestricted free agency after 4 seasons. If he chooses a team where he's a surefire starter, he'll get performance based pay in addition and strengthen his hand for future contracts.

Theoretically it could but in practice no. CFL teams don't have the money of NFL teams and linemen aren't highly paid. 

So, ...theoretically, ...if a team doesn't offer you another contract when they hold your restricted rights then they can force you into retirement?

OK, ...I'm confused.

How can you have a 1 year contract and the team retains restricted rights to you?  You wouldn't have a contract with that team after the contract ends.

Unrestricted rights are awarded through service time in the league.  

So, ...theoretically, ...if a team doesn't offer you another contract when they hold your restricted rights then they can force you into retirement?

No, they have to make a qualifying offer to keep a player's rights. The qualifying offer is only vet minimum with no bonuses. Teams typically keep their ERFAs around since the offers aren't guaranteed. Teams are free to offer more than the minimum such as workout, performance, or even signing bonuses.

3 year 1.65 Million 100% Guarenteed.... I didn't think each team had that much UDFA money! Looks like Collins lost several million in this deal.... WOW

Collins is just getting base salaries but the Cowboys are fully guaranteeing them with no offsets. Dallas is an odd choice for him as he's not certain to become a starter there, unlike some other teams.

Archived