AJ Hawk Interview

Link: [url="http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/QA/BigTen_Part2.htm"]http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/QA/BigTen_Part2.htm[/url]

Ohio State LB A.J. Hawk
As expected, everyone wanted to interview Hawk. He looks like a cross between Woody Harrelson and NHL star Jeremy Roenick, but with a banged up nose that’ll be the most recognizable feature of a Big Ten face since the Drew Brees mole.

CFN: How ready are you for the NFL?

A.J. Hawk: Not ready; I’m enjoying college life too much. I enjoy being at Ohio State so much, and after talking to guys who have come back, they tell me I’ll never be able to have as much fun. I won’t be able to have the same friendships and the same good times as I’m having here. When you get to the NFL, it’s all business and I’m not ready for that yet.

CFN: What is it you like best about playing at Ohio State?

AJH: The stadium and the atmosphere are unbelievable. The fans are incredible. Everywhere we go there are Ohio State fans. Some places feel like a home game because we have so many fans following us. The game days are unbelievable. You don’t even realize the effect our games have on people until you talk to the people around Ohio. My parents, family, cousins, friends, everyone they talk to, they live for it. They’re as passionate about it as we are as players.

CFN: Is there a specific linebacker that you like to watch, and is there a specific Ohio State linebacker that you were a fan of?

AJH: Zach Thomas, as far as the NFL. I don’t think he gets enough hype for how good he is. He’s so tough and he’s fantastic at every thing he does. Ohio State guys, I’m a big fan of Andy Katzenmoyer and Chris Spielman. Those guys are legends, and that’s how I hope I can be.

CFN: Zach Thomas is good, but you’re light years faster. Your games don’t really compare.

AJH: Yeah, but he’s so tough and so good. He’s always making plays and is always around the ball. If I can be as good as he is at the next level, I’d take that in a heartbeat.

CFN: What are your thoughts on Chad Greenway and Abdul Hodge?

AJH: They’re fantastic. It’s so amazing that this is such a strong Big Ten year for linebackers. All these guys here are so good and so productive. It brings a lot of hype to the league when you have players like them in the conference.

CFN: What were you able to take from the national title season and use for now going into this year?

AJH: We learned that you really just have to take every game one at a time. We weren’t predicted to win it all, but we just kept winning, and winning, and winning and finding ways to win. Winning 14 games is a lot, and it’s too much to think about if you’re looking to win them all. We learned a lot from the older guys and the way they acted on and off the field.

CFN: Now you’re one of the older guys. What did you learn from guys like Mike Doss and Craig Krenzel that you use, or do you have your own style of how to be a veteran?

AJH: Yeah, we all have our own style, but I, and all the young guys, remember how they addressed the team, and how they practiced, and how they carried themselves and were the ones who took on all the pressure and tough situations when they had to.

CFN: Is it strange to now be in the role as the standout star of the defense?

AJH: That’s the nice thing about playing at a place like Ohio State. There’s so much talent around me that no one can focus on just stopping one guy. The other linebackers are fantastic, the defensive line is full of great players taking the heat off up front, and there are so many good athletes that I can do what I need to do.

CFN: The other linebackers from the guys around here, to Spencer Havner at UCLA, to other players I’ve talked to always bring up your name first as the top linebacker they respect. What is it about your game that others seem to like so much?

AJH: The biggest thing I’ve always tried to do is make sure I’m always working hard on every play. I made a decision early on that I never wanted to see myself on film and see me dogging it. I always want to play hard, and I always want to make a big impact. I always have to go 100%. If I’m making a mistake, that’s fine, but I want to go full tilt all the time.

Question from someone else: Did anyone ever tell you that you look like a linebacker?

AJH: Not really, my nose kind of makes me look like a linebacker.

CFN: How many times have you broken it?

AJH: All throughout junior high until now. I wear my helmet really loose, so it hits it every day. It’s how it’s comfortable to wear. I’m used to it at this point. My brother is the same way with the bump on his nose. Hopefully, some day, I’ll find some girl who doesn’t care about it.

Guest bengaljet
1 of the other LB's at OSU is from here-Bobby Carpenter. Rob Carpenter is the HS coach here.AJ + Bobby come to games+practices-Big thrill for these HS kids. Bobby talks to all of them(coaches,gives tips).
4 Carpenter boys. (1) OSU,(1) UC,(1) HS,(1) Jr. High-some say the last 1 maybe the best of all.
When Bobby was a freshmen at OSU that he'd look good in Bengal Stripes.Got a funny look but I was serious.He's like 6'4" 250 lbs and fast.
2 future pros in Bobby and AJ-hope Bengals get 1 of them.

Archived