With the 157th pick the Bengals select TE C.J. Uzomah

2552559.jpg 

6'5"

264 lbs

Strengths
Impressive on the hoof. Big, athletic body with room for even more muscle. Lined up at wide receiver, from the slot, inline and out of backfield. Routes are raw, but shows good feel for space. Above-average build-up speed to separate and threaten seams. Used out of backfield to mismatch linebackers on wheel routes. Showed focus hauling in challenging throws. Willing to make tough catches over the middle. Shows an ability to adjust as blocker in space and catch moving targets. Doesn't strike a blow as blocker, but once engaged, he can ride the bull and sustain for a while. Has traits to become a better blocker.

Weaknesses
Lacks aggression and awareness as run blocker. Gets guys blocked with size over technique or tenaciousness. Doesn't strike a punch in run game or pass pro. Doesn't use size to manhandle cornerbacks when matched up one on one in the red zone. Raw and somewhat inexperienced. Played less than 42 percent of the total offensive snaps for Auburn over last two seasons and made just 22 catches during that time frame. Allows throws to get on top of him. Late readiness with hands, making adjustments to poorly thrown balls difficult.

Draft Projection
Priority free agent

NFL Comparison
Richard Rodgers

Bottom Line
Former high school wide receiver who still plays the game with a wide receiver's mindset rather than a tight end's. Must get tougher and more physical to become a serviceable in-line blocker but that might not happen. Underutilized in Auburn's limited passing game and could become a much more productive move tight end in the pros than he was in college.

That was crazy good.

HOF alert!

The moment I read the name of the pick I knew my worst fear would never be realized.

That the Bengals would happily welcome Gresham back in the fold and would agree to pay him three times what he was worth even though no other teams are interested in him. 

Interesting that Auburn didn't have a TE coach. He worked mainly with the WR coach and then learned some blocking from the RB coach. 

Little stuff like that adds to his upside probably because he's obviously never been really coached up as a TE despite going to a bigger school. 

Interesting that Auburn didn't have a TE coach. He worked mainly with the WR coach and then learned some blocking from the RB coach. 

Little stuff like that adds to his upside probably because he's obviously never been really coached up as a TE despite going to a bigger school. 

I think he'll redshirt this season. Prob make the 53, but not the 45

I think he'll actually get snaps.  

I do, too.   Watching his highligh reel, he seems to have that instinctive quality to his play.  Not mechanical.   Like little subtle motions to get seperation at that citical moment while the ball is in the air.  However, you see things like that in their college tape, but when they get to the pros they seem to have so much more of the mental game thrust upon them that it seems to slow them down.  Thinking too much and playing less.

Hue has said that Hewitt will be mostly used as a FB. It's handy that he can play TE in a pinch but part of what Alexander said about using Ogbuehi or Fisher as a 6th lineman is based on Hewitt being more effective in the running game from the backfield than the line of scrimmage. In a jumbo formation, we can put a lot of blocking power in front of Hill.

Bengals selected Auburn TE C.J. Uzomah with the No. 157 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

The Bengals already selected Tyler Kroft, so this is their second tight end. Uzomah (6'6/262) was a lightly used pass catcher in Gus Malzahn's offense, managing 29 career receptions for 435 yards (15.0 YPR) with seven TDs. A plus athlete for his size, Uzomah may have been capable of more usage considering his 4.62 speed, 31-inch vertical, and 9-foot-10 broad jump. A willing blocker with a wide receiver background, Uzomah has a chance to become a better NFL than college player.

In C.J. Uzomah, Bengals get big-game 'anti-villain'

CINCINNATI -- It was the day of the biggest game of the year in Alabama: the Iron Bowl.

Down in those parts the mere mention of the words "Iron Bowl" conjures wellsprings of pride that can only truly be articulated by those who have experienced it.

C.J. Uzomah, one of the Cincinnati Bengals' two newest tight ends, has.

"This is something I put my body on the line for," Uzomah said Saturday, his voice quickening as he spoke.

You see, Auburn-Alabama, the annual game that bears the "Iron Bowl" moniker, isn't just an event. It's an all-SEC test that crowns the state college football champion, and in certain years -- like 2013 -- has helped dictate which of the two teams plays for the national championship.

In the state of Ohio, no football game rivals the importance of the yearly Michigan-Ohio State game, but on the NFL level, the bi-annual Bengals-Browns matchup still generates its share of the state's pigskin spotlight. Last December's Bengals-Browns meeting even stole the national limelight.

Sure, the country was paying attention mostly because it was embattled quarterback Johnny Manziel's first career start. But the underlying story line was that the Bengals and Browns were playing a division game that helped dictate whether one or both of them made it to the playoffs.

It was Week 15. It was an important game. It was Ohio's NFL "Iron Bowl."

Before it, Jermaine Gresham, the Bengals tight end who months before dubbed himself the team "villain" because of how he felt Bengals fans perceived him, was testing out a toe injury that popped up late the week of the game. Slightly hobbled, he looked OK as he ran routes and caught pre-game passes. It appeared he would play.

But minutes later, his name was announced with Cincinnati's game-day inactives. It was one of two games Gresham missed despite testing out injuries pregame. The other was a playoff game Cincinnati later lost. Privately, some coaches and teammates frowned upon Gresham's decisions not to play.

Which brings this back to Uzomah and the "Iron Bowl." Two years ago, after taking a hard shot while blocking on the second series of the game, Uzomah partially separated a shoulder causing him to leave the game ... briefly.

"I knew the implications [of staying in] and I knew that with the treatment I was going to be getting afterwards that I'd be fine," Uzomah said. "I feel like I was in a position to make plays given my shoulder."

"There was no way I'm missing a game like that."

Remember former Auburn defensive back Chris Davis' miracle game-winning return touchdown off a missed field goal? That was this game.

One of Uzomah's two post-injury catches for Auburn was a 13-yard touchdown that tied the game late.

"You can see on tape that he is a tough kid," Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes said. "He's going to push the guys in my room and it's going to help us all get better."

Uzomah's fifth-round selection in this weekend's draft likely marks the end of Gresham's time in Cincinnati. Previous to Uzomah being picked up and fellow tight end Tyler Kroft the day before, there was a sliver of a chance that Gresham might return to the Bengals as a free agent following recent back surgery. That sliver was swallowed Saturday.

"We're making a new transition and we appreciated those guys' work and everything they did for us, but we're going to continue to move forward," Hayes said, referring to Gresham and another free-agent tight end, Alex Smith. "This ship stops for nobody. If you're not going to be on board, it's going to set sail anyway."

At tight end, the Bengals sail on with their new anti-villain.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/16977/bengals-cj-uzomah-jermaine-gresham-nfl-draft-anti-villain

I just don't see it barring injuries. With Eifert and Kroft as your TE's 1 & 2, as well as Hewitt as the H-back, I don't see where he could get on the field. They'd probably rather have him on the PS, but they probably won't risk it. 

With you on this. I think Uzomah is a high upside guy with great physical ability but extremely raw. He's a little bit of a project and while I think he makes the 53 man roster, I'd guess he ends up the #3 TE and inactive on most game days unless Eifert or Kroft is injured. 

Hayes' comments in the press conference about him not having a TE coach at Auburn, mentioning that at the Senior Bowl was the first time he'd been coached on a lot of this stuff, etc. all kind of point in that direction IMO.

In comparison to Kroft, both of Kroft's TE coaches at Rutgers are now coaching TEs in the NFL. He is going to be way ahead in terms of all the technical stuff and much more prepared to make an immediate impact.

Uzomah is going to be a beast.  Mark it down. 

Physical traits were basically superior to all of the TEs at the combine, especially when you factor in his 265lb size.  Interviews this guy has on-line tell you he has the mental fabric too.  This team is going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's exactly the kind of player they are trying to rebuild this team around.  

Uzomah's fifth-round selection in this weekend's draft likely marks the end of Gresham's time in Cincinnati. Previous to Uzomah being picked up and fellow tight end Tyler Kroft the day before, there was a sliver of a chance that Gresham might return to the Bengals as a free agent following recent back surgery. That sliver was swallowed Saturday.

I prefer a comparison to movie monsters and how you never know they're really dead until somebody cuts the head off....

....and then grabs both of the huge ears and holds the severed head aloft in celebration.

Archived