I wrote this for my sister and it needs to be said

Whit is my favorite player and he's a very good LT. Nobody at this point knows not only how much longer he'll be able to play at a high level, nor what he's going to want in his next, and probably last, contract. Drafting for the future is a good thing, especially at the OT position considering that the QB position will by and large live and die by the protection provided by the line. Yeah, it's not sexy to pick two tackles back to back, and yeah, maybe our first rounder this year won't be ready to play this season and also may never be the same. If so, it was a wasted pick, but there's no way to evaluate the true value of those picks at this stage...we'll need to revisit the topic in like three years. 

We are looking at the potential of losing both our starting OT's due to age, contract or whatever within a year, it makes sense to draft their replacements now rather then being forced to draft them next year if they are both gone, too expensive or injured beyond repair. The upside is that neither of them has to start next season and with both Whit and Andre in contract years chances are they'll be at the top of their game to attract interest from the Benagls or elsewhere while both Fisher and Cedric polish their skills in spot duty or in practice. 

I wanted Dupree and hated that the Squeelers got him but offensive tackles are more important than linebackers so I'm cool with it.

I respectfully disagree... AJ is going to require mega dollars...

Yes, but his market value is in the same neighborhood as his tag number, around 14 mil per year. At worst we tag him for 2016 at that amount. At best we sign him to a long term extension which averages that but has built in raises, meaning he starts at a number below the average for the contract. He's on the books for 10.1 mil for 2015 so we'd need an additional 4 mil in cap space to afford AJ on a long term deal. That's about what Peko is making or less than half of Leon's number for this year. 

The Bengals are about 68 million under the cap for 2016 even with Zeitler and Kirkpatrick counting at above market value numbers. Apparently we're going to move on from our current starting tackles (a mistake imo) so we'll have plenty of money to re-sign other players. 

The team can easily afford all those guys plus Iloka, Nelson, A Jones too. I think they'll let Leon walk unless he takes a big paycut for 2016. Sanu is expendable and perhaps Marvin Jones too. 

Andre and Whit alone would probably cost us in the 18 to 22 mil range with the new cap numbers and the fact good tackles go for 8-10 mil plus a year now.

People are undervaluing Andre, Marvin himself called him a player on the cusp of a pro-bowl.

I love Andre and he's been pretty good the last few years. But Andre was near impossible to resign the first time and the team has already questioned his motivation (through sources to the media) for the future after another deal. I'm ok with letting Andre walk, someone overpay him and we get a 3rd round pick the year after.

Andre and Whit alone would probably cost us in the 18 to 22 mil range with the new cap numbers and the fact good tackles go for 8-10 mil plus a year now.

LOL. Whit and Andre's market value is probably in line with what they're making now. Whitworth is obviously on the back side of his career. He's never held out for top dollar and could probably be extended for 6-7 mil per year on a 2 or 3 year extension. Prior to the draft there was no sign he was determined to leave Cincinnati and he'll make more money here post-career than back in Louisiana. Andre would probably be harder to re-sign and may want to test the market. But the last time he did that, nobody else was interested. He hasn't raised his market value with another injury. Nobody is going to make him a left tackle. As a good but injury prone right tackle, his market value is about 6 mil, ie what he was already making. Even if he did leave, right tackles are easier to find than left tackles. Boling would be an option as a fallback. 

LOL. Whit and Andre's market value is probably in line with what they're making now. Whitworth is obviously on the back side of his career. He's never held out for top dollar and could probably be extended for 6-7 mil per year on a 2 or 3 year extension. Prior to the draft there was no sign he was determined to leave Cincinnati and he'll make more money here post-career than back in Louisiana. Andre would probably be harder to re-sign and may want to test the market. But the last time he did that, nobody else was interested. He hasn't raised his market value with another injury. Nobody is going to make him a left tackle. As a good but injury prone right tackle, his market value is about 6 mil, ie what he was already making. Even if he did leave, right tackles are easier to find than left tackles. Boling would be an option as a fallback. 

Whit's last 2 year contract equated to $9.762 mil per year.

Andre's equated to 6 mil a year.

That is about $16 mil per year.

If Andre stays healthy and has a very good year, 6 mil will not do it because the salary cap has increased.

I love Andre and he's been pretty good the last few years. But Andre was near impossible to resign the first time and the team has already questioned his motivation (through sources to the media) for the future after another deal. I'm ok with letting Andre walk, someone overpay him and we get a 3rd round pick the year after.

Near impossible? He went to the market and found no suitors. Perhaps you need to remember your history a bit better.

Whit's last 2 year contract equated to $9.762 mil per year.

Andre's equated to 6 mil a year.

That is about $16 mil per year.

If Andre stays healthy and has a very good year, 6 mil will not do it because the salary cap has increased.

Yes, the cap has increased and the agents for 53 players on a team want their guy to get a raise. But salaries are still based on market conditions and neither Whit nor Andre has raised their market value much, if at all. Whit is playing at a high level but is also old and won't be expected to play out a 5 year deal. Whit's cap number is 6.2 mil this year, ie lower than it was back in 2011 when he signed the extension you complain about. 

See this article for why Whitworth had the most team favorable contract on the Bengals last year (and Peko the worst).

http://overthecap.com/best-worst-contracts-2014-cincinnati-bengals/

Yes, the cap has increased and the agents for 53 players on a team want their guy to get a raise. But salaries are still based on market conditions and neither Whit nor Andre has raised their market value much, if at all. Whit is playing at a high level but is also old and won't be expected to play out a 5 year deal. Whit's cap number is 6.2 mil this year, ie lower than it was back in 2011 when he signed the extension you complain about. 

See this article for why Whitworth had the most team favorable contract on the Bengals last year (and Peko the worst).

http://overthecap.com/best-worst-contracts-2014-cincinnati-bengals/

Why do you keep pretending the signing bonus doesn't exist?  If we resign Whit, pretty sure he and his agent will want one of those.

Also, I was not complaining about Whit's last deal, which was a 2 year $19.525 million EXTENSION by the way.

Andre knows he is playing for a new contract this year and the last time I saw him, he looked very fit and ready to go.

Why do you keep pretending the signing bonus doesn't exist?  If we resign Whit, pretty sure he and his agent will want one of those.

Also, I was not complaining about Whit's last deal, which was a 2 year $19.525 million EXTENSION by the way.

Andre knows he is playing for a new contract this year and the last time I saw him, he looked very fit and ready to go.

I too expect Andre to play well this year, which is why we'll miss him when he's gone.

Whit extended his old deal by 2 years and got 19.525 mil additional dollars. But saying that means he's a 9.75 mil per year player is silly. The highest cap number he's ever had is 8.39 mil back in 2011 when he signed the extension. The extension raised his base salaries for years 2011-2013 before adding in 2014 and 2015 as new years. Basically the team tore up his old deal and gave him a raise on the last 3 years of it. He'll make 5.2 mil this year (with a cap number of 6.2 mil) and he'd get something in that area on an extension. We could easily afford and he'd probably agree to a deal along the lines of 2 new years for 14 mil with 2 mil signing bonus and 6 mil salaries. 

Archived