Whit Wants an Extension

They will extend Whit....AFTER they resign the guys they NEED for next year. Iloka, Marvin, AJ (though he most likely gets franchised) all need their deals figured out first so we don't sign whit and then don't have room for the others. The others are all far more important and don't have replacements like Whit has. The organization would be retarded if they extended Whit first unless he's taking a very team friendly discount.

yep.  I expect he'll sign a 2yr team friendly deal.  No doubt in my mind he retires a Bengal.

Hyperbole much? 

No I am not. I know players come and go. But Whit has helped them win.

These past 4 years are the most winning Seasons the Bengals have 

ever had consecutively. 

Yeah Playoff game, blah blah blah. If that's your gauge then no one should be re-signed.

It's better to keep very good, proven players around for a couple of years

than it is to go to an unproven player because he is cheaper.

The you don't know much about the salary cap. This isn't baseball. Decisions have to be made. So you'd rather guarantee Whit a bunch of money in his mid-to-late 30's and risk losing young players like Zeitler, Iloka, Gio? That's a terrible cap strategy. And if that is your prerogative, you must have REALLY, REALLY, hated the team's draft.

BTW, since when did we start labeling first and second round draft choices, "Prospects"? Most expect guys picked here to be starters not prospects.

All draft picks are prospects until they prove on the field that they are NFL caliber players. Don't care about the round you're picked, you're a prospect.

Exactly. Its a business. You make the best business decision for your football team. I'd rather sign AJ, Iloka, Marv Jones, Zeitler first. Young guys who stand to improve.

Personally, I hope they don't sign Whit. That probably means that the two rookie tackles are ready for prime-time and Zeitler & Boling are playing well.

I want them to sign Whit. He's good for the team. But I want them to sign Whit after they've locked up some of the future in AJ, Iloka, Marvin, Dre, Zeitler.

yep.  I expect he'll sign a 2yr team friendly deal.  No doubt in my mind he retires a Bengal.

We shall see...never thought Willie Anderson would leave for a bigger paycheck to Baltiwhore but he did.  Never thought I would see Anthony Munoz try to hook up with the 5-11 Tampa Bay Bucs...but he did. 

But where do you play him? Are you really going to sit your rookie tackles for 2-3 years +?

Your 5 starters would be Ced, Fisher, Whit, Boling, Zeitler. Both Fisher and Boling can play Center. Boling should be the center. You put your 5 best players starting and get a major upgrade because Bodine isn't very good.

Ced-Whit-Boling-Zeitler-Fisher

Your 5 starters would be Ced, Fisher, Whit, Boling, Zeitler. Both Fisher and Boling can play Center. Boling should be the center. You put your 5 best players starting and get a major upgrade because Bodine isn't very good.

I think this is exactly correc accept I think Bodien is good. 

They will extend Whit....AFTER they resign the guys they NEED for next year. Iloka, Marvin, AJ (though he most likely gets franchised) all need their deals figured out first so we don't sign whit and then don't have room for the others. The others are all far more important and don't have replacements like Whit has. The organization would be retarded if they extended Whit first unless he's taking a very team friendly discount.

Marvin Jones is not a must sign yet. He is a 5th round pick who had one good year (average year minus the Jets game) sandwiched between 2 years of nothing and is coming off multiple injuries. Yes he showed promise in that one season but he has proven nothing yet deserving of a new contract.

We shall see...never thought Willie Anderson would leave for a bigger paycheck to Baltiwhore but he did.  Never thought I would see Anthony Munoz try to hook up with the 5-11 Tampa Bay Bucs...but he did. 

Willie got cut in the last days of training camp. 

Willie got cut in the last days of training camp. 

My point is players in the final years of their career will go where the money is.  I am sure Whit would love to retire a Bengal if the price is right but if someone offers him quite a bit more money somewhere else...like most players...he will take it, particularly if it is with a legit contender like Indy, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay et al.

I don't think all that much of Bodine either but apparently P.A. loves him and when PA loves him, you get Nate Livings for an endless amount of time.

So the team doesn't have any talent? Then how the heck does it make the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons? And yes, good leadership does have an effect on the outcomes of your season. if you don't know that, I'm not sure what to tell you. So when you've been utterly embarrassed (I'm talking laughing-stock, punch-line embarrassed) in five straight playoff appearances, perhaps your "leadership"  could stand to make some improvements.

Newsflash, if this was hockey, they'd be stripping him of his captaincy. Peko too.

Perhaps your ire should be directed at the man who was the head coach for all 6 losses rather than the team captain who nobody other than you questions his leadership. Further perhaps looking at play we could name a litany of guys who were not playing up to their talent level before Whit.

Typical Bengals fan, gets a new toy and is already shitting on the old one.

Marvin Jones hasn't proven he is deserving of an extension.

But you try to blame Marvin. Leadership comes way more from the players than the coaches. BB isn't the leader of the Patriots guys like Brady, Wilfork, Bruschi, Harrison have been the leaders of those teams. Neither Whit nor Marvin are why they have lost any of those games.

Whit no he's played at a high level for a long time (and still is playing at that level), Marvin is 0-6. Any attempt to take away his responsibility as the head coach from our playoff success is disingenuous at best. Marvin himself would tell you the buck stops with him.

Perhaps your ire should be directed at the man who was the head coach for all 6 losses rather than the team captain who nobody other than you questions his leadership. Further perhaps looking at play we could name a litany of guys who were not playing up to their talent level before Whit.

Typical Bengals fan, gets a new toy and is already shitting on the old one.

I don't like Marvin Lewis and don't think he should be the head coach. I'm also not stupid enough to believe that merely firing him will solve this team's problems. This team has serious mental hurdles to get through in order to finally win an f'n playoff game. No, I'm not going to sit here and praise someone for their leadership when this team has been stuck in the mud for 4 years straight with no signs of improvement. And no, I'm not going to praise a millionaire who says he might not be able to be an effective leader unless he gets more millions and more guaranteed years. That's not the way the NFL works and that's not the way life works. he should know that.

I don't like Marvin Lewis and don't think he should be the head coach. I'm also not stupid enough to believe that merely firing him will solve this team's problems. This team has serious mental hurdles to get through in order to finally win an f'n playoff game. No, I'm not going to sit here and praise someone for their leadership when this team has been stuck in the mud for 4 years straight with no signs of improvement. And no, I'm not going to praise a millionaire who says he might not be able to be an effective leader unless he gets more millions and more guaranteed years. That's not the way the NFL works and that's not the way life works. he should know that.

I wont disagree that I am disappointed in his talk regarding what he plans on doing or not doing regarding his extension. But I also know that that's just talk trying to get a new contract, and I have very little doubt that being the professional he is, he will put in the same work he has since he's been here (Because if he didn't that would follow him to his next team). I don't know why anyone would doubt that.

No firing Marvin may or may not lead the team to getting past the mental block they have with regard to winning a playoff game, but Marvin is far and away more responsible for that mental block than Andrew Whitworth is. It's not even close.

I think the thing that pisses me off is that Whit is being such a hypocrite. 

Everyone was pissed in 2006 when we 'wasted' a second round pick on Whitworth when we had Levi and Willie as our 2 bookend tackles.  You didn't hear either one of them crying to the media. 

He should shut his goddam mouth and let his play do the talking.

No firing Marvin may or may not lead the team to getting past the mental block they have with regard to winning a playoff game, but Marvin is far and away more responsible for that mental block than Andrew Whitworth is. It's not even close.

Except that he's the head coach who continued to let Andrew Whitworth assume the role of on-field offensive leader.  

People seem to be missing Madieu's central point here:  When a leader barks and the troops repeatedly fail, eventually the troops lose faith in the leader -- whether you like it or not -- and new leadership is necessary.  It's a results-oriented role, by definition, and whether it's a corporate CEO, a military General, or an NFL football player, if results aren't produced when you're the leader you WILL be replaced. 

#revival

His play HAS been doing the talking for 11 fucking years... what more could you ask of the guy?

Imagine you're the owner of a multi-million business, and a long time stellar performing employee is getting old... but he is STILL performing at that stellar rate that you've come to expect from them. Now you're planning on his eventual retirement, so you hire two guys fresh out of college who MIGHT be able to be as good as the older employee some day. The employee knows they are his eventual replacement, but he still wants a raise because he damn well knows that he will have to train those replacements, and set himself up for retirement. Do you shit can the stellar employee because he wants what he has earned?

Like many have said in this and other threads... it's a business right?

Right?

Revivals can't happen if the incoming newbies aren't trained by the best you have.

Everyone was pissed in 2006 when we 'wasted' a second round pick on Whitworth when we had Levi and Willie as our 2 bookend tackles.  You didn't hear either one of them crying to the media. 

This^

Wasn't it Whit who complained about the fans after they stunk up the field on primetime at NE last year?

Whit dared the Bengals to draft his replacement.  Mike Brown double dared him back.

Another thing is this... when football people outside of Cincinnati talk about the top Bengals players, All Pro (not the bullshit Pro Bowl) level players, what names are perennially mentioned?

A. J. Green
A. Whitworth

Anyone else?

You want to talk about leadership?

Who has been booted out of a couple of games for protecting our QB and always has our guys backs?

Whitworth.

Take away the tackle that protects our mediocre QB, and he sinks below mediocre while he waits to see if a rookie can protect him.

To be fair he was just a left guard, lol

Except that he's the head coach who continued to let Andrew Whitworth assume the role of on-field offensive leader.  

People seem to be missing Madieu's central point here:  When a leader barks and the troops repeatedly fail, eventually the troops lose faith in the leader -- whether you like it or not -- and new leadership is necessary.  It's a results-oriented role, by definition, and whether it's a corporate CEO, a military General, or an NFL football player, if results aren't produced when you're the leader you WILL be replaced. 

#revival

Replaced unless you are 12 years into a deal and 0-6 in the playoffs

But I digress....

This shitting on Whitworth is just so typical of Bengals fans who are always ready to promote the new guy in favor or the old

Andrew Whitworth has been one of the most consistent players on this team who has gotten better with age actually and is still playing at a near probowl level.

There are alot of guys and coaches ahead of Andrew Whitworth that deserve a microscope on them before you start putting on on him.

Archived