Whit Wants an Extension

Whit said that his wife sent the tweet from his account but that she thought it was a private message to one of his teammates and that she was joking...

Who knows if there's any truth to that or not?

But it didn't take a mystic to see that this Bengals draft strategy had the potential to blow up in their faces. Even if it looked good on paper, there are quite obvious real world consequences and you don't manage a team on paper. All of this just seems so unnecessary...

Andrew Whitworth says tweet criticizing Mike Brown was accident

CINCINNATI -- Bengals Pro Bowl left offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth told ESPN on Wednesday evening a tweet criticizing team president Mike Brown that was sent from his Twitter account earlier in the afternoon was sent accidentally.

"Mike Brown told me I'm done here," the tweet from Whitworth's account read. "Said I can play this year and go home. So I told him I want a raise or I'll sit my ass at home this …"

Whitworth said the social-media message originated from his wife, and that it was intended to be sent as a private message to one of Whitworth's teammates.

"Anybody that knows her knows she's sarcastic," Whitworth said. "She was just trying to be funny with the teammate."

Whitworth added that his wife was distraught.

Minutes after the tweet went live, it was deleted. Not long after that, Whitworth's account was deleted, too. He confirmed he made both changes.

Before too long, however, Whitworth reactivated his account, making it private. One of his first messages repeated what he told ESPN.

"Twitter 101 with the Wife for Mothers Day! Don't respond to text with a Blue Bird!!!" the tweet read. "If you know her, you know its just her!! lol"

Earlier this week, Whitworth made waves when he called out the Bengals for what he believed was a lack of progress on his potential contract extension. The 10-year veteran who has spent his entire career in Cincinnati criticized the Bengals for having poor "customer service."

"It's pretty easy to prove my contributions to this franchise over the last 10 years and you've got a guy fighting for his life?" Whitworth said Monday. "I think I've earned more than that."

The 33-year-old's career began with one .500 season and a pair of losing campaigns. In the last six years, though, he has been a key part of a complete turnaround. The Bengals have made it to the playoffs in five of those six seasons, including the last four. It's the longest string of playoff berths they have had in franchise history.

Whitworth discussed his contract status after having been asked his thoughts on the Bengals selecting two offensive tackles within their first two picks of last weekend's draft. Although he said he would mentor both rookies -- and already has, inviting them to his house to watch last Saturday's Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight -- Whitworth said he was surprised the Bengals took the players without telling him before the draft. Coach Marvin Lewis said he and Brown discussed that possibility days before the draft.

Whitworth is one of 26 players entering contract years. The team captain said Monday he would like a new deal with the Bengals before the season begins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17067/bengals-andrew-whitworth-mike-brown-twitter-tweet-accident

Marvin Jones is not a must sign yet. He is a 5th round pick who had one good year (average year minus the Jets game) sandwiched between 2 years of nothing and is coming off multiple injuries. Yes he showed promise in that one season but he has proven nothing yet deserving of a new contract.

Marvin Jones is a must sign. I didn't say he is a must overpay. Obviously there is a certain price tag that he is told to fuck off. He is the only WR outside of AJ who is a deep threat and has speed and isn't 5'8''. He is a very good WR and would have had a strong college career if his QBs at Cal weren't dog shit. He is very important to the offense and without him we don't have much of a deep game because teams just focus on AJ and reduce his amount of opportunities. Marvin Jones will put up another good year this year which will allow AJ a lot more opportunities for big games this year.

Marvin Jones hasn't proven he is deserving of an extension.

He's very deserving of an extension. He's not deserving of a Golden Tate deal.

Whit no he's played at a high level for a long time (and still is playing at that level), Marvin is 0-6. Any attempt to take away his responsibility as the head coach from our playoff success is disingenuous at best. Marvin himself would tell you the buck stops with him.

Coaches coach. Players play. I see players making mistakes in the playoffs that they don't make in other games. The coach didn't magically coach the players poorly that week and the players start fucking up. It is on the players. A HC in the NFL has very minimal affect of outcome on game day. If any coaches are to blame it is the OC/DC but mostly the DC as the defenses (when ranked top 10 in NFL) have been pure shit come playoff game. But even then I blame the players not the coaches.

Coaches coach. Players play. I see players making mistakes in the playoffs that they don't make in other games. The coach didn't magically coach the players poorly that week and the players start fucking up. It is on the players. A HC in the NFL has very minimal affect of outcome on game day. If any coaches are to blame it is the OC/DC but mostly the DC as the defenses (when ranked top 10 in NFL) have been pure shit come playoff game. But even then I blame the players not the coaches.

When players come and go and you are still 0-6 that's on the coach.

She was pranking a teammate...can't exactly do that from her account. It is 100% true.

I love how you post on here in absolutes, when it is abundantly clear time and time again that you have no clue what you are talking about.

I wasn't putting Peko up against Whit. Sparky made the comment that Peko was a really high paid player, and I just don't see it. I think he has a fair deal for what he provides on and off the field. I think people often times don't know what the 0/1 tech does. Although I agree that he seemed to wear down some last season, whether that was from yet undisclosed nick, or if it's just him slowing down I don't know.

Er, I said Peko wasn't highly paid, just overpaid. He's making 3.75 mil this year while Terence Knighton, a much better player is making 4 mil. Peko has been in decline for several years, there's no reason to expect major improvement now. 

Marvin Jones will put up another good year this year......

I love how you post on here in absolutes, when it is abundantly clear time and time again that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Not only that but judging by his statement I quoted here he also apparently owns a crystal ball or the DeLorean time machine from Back To The Future.

I wonder if this whole tackle-drafting mania has its genesis in something other than age or contract. Everything is out of the regular order of ML...and completely MB. Just dropping Whitworth this suddenly does not follow the known pathway for this FO. He would have to know the reasons. It would be nice if someone in the Offices would let us know.

Oh the drama! What's next? Keeping up with the Whitworth's?

Claiming your Twitter account was hacked is so pathetically weak. Basically, it gives you cover to say what you want and get your message out, but then deny any responsibility for it. And saying the wife did it as a joke is even more pathetic, as if Whit had no idea what she was up to and was a Twitter novice.

Whit just keeps making a bigger and bigger ass of himself by the day.  I'm quite disappointed in him.  He's throwing mini fits, it's clear he's very bothered by all this and he needs to learn some maturity and how to deal with things in a more productive manner.  He's becoming the sideshow Chad was.  "Team leader". 

Maybe this is why his replacement was drafted.  Because Whit's true side has been noticed by Bengals management before these latest incidents.  Maybe this is what Marvin referred to when he said "No more status quo"??

One of my favorite memories as a Bengal fan is when Whit put OchoCinco in his place during a nationally televised game after Chad had been seen pouting a few plays.  Made him one of my favorite Bengal players of all time, but this last week has made me re-think his place.  

I don't agree with your attempt to diminish the Head Coach's role on game day or the post season.   Crazy post, IMO. 

Marvin's list of post season negatives is an extensive one in his 6 games.  

I don't agree with your attempt to diminish the Head Coach's role on game day or the post season.   Crazy post, IMO. 

Marvin's list of post season negatives is an extensive one in his 6 games.  

Then Zimmer goes in that same boat, but everyone here just sticks their head in the sand and pretends the defense didn't consistently shit itself in the playoffs under him.

I might be willing to entertain that discussion in regards to Rey. But there is no way I think you would get a better player than Domata at less than 4mm a year. Not a chance especially when you consider his intangibles. I know everyone wants to throw everyone under the bus and burn everything to the ground because we haven't won a playoff game, but Peko is not the problem, and neither is his contract.

His intangibles? What? He fucking smiles? He's not worth a goddamn roster spot. We could have EASILY improved that spot for that pay. Stop lying to yourself

Put him on ignore. I've been at it for about a year. No longer have to decipher bullshit

Whit just keeps making a bigger and bigger ass of himself by the day.  I'm quite disappointed in him.  He's throwing mini fits, it's clear he's very bothered by all this and he needs to learn some maturity and how to deal with things in a more productive manner.  He's becoming the sideshow Chad was.  "Team leader". 

Maybe this is why his replacement was drafted.  Because Whit's true side has been noticed by Bengals management before these latest incidents.  Maybe this is what Marvin referred to when he said "No more status quo"??

One of my favorite memories as a Bengal fan is when Whit put OchoCinco in his place during a nationally televised game after Chad had been seen pouting a few plays.  Made him one of my favorite Bengal players of all time, but this last week has made me re-think his place.  

I'm telling ya, man. WWBBD?

Archived