Going to buy a new grill - a manly one... advice? tips?

GoBengals

so as it says, i am looking to buy a new grill, i have a small $150 propane grill, had it 6 years, its rusting in some spots, the burners are kinda clogged and sketchy.. time to replace..

Budget: $300-700, prefer to be in the $550max range, but if its worth the value, i can go $750ish.

i dont ever grill for tons of people.. so 3-4 burner is PLENTY.. probably overkill... i have a one burner grill now.. rarely overcrowded..

a MUST: it must be a natural gas grill, i have a gas hookup right outside the back door, i done with filling propane, i dont have the patience for charcoal, so it must be natural gas grill, no conversion, straight up natural gas...

with most things it seems like most manufacturers make a solid high end line and a shit made in china will rust out in a year line of grills.

Been looking at Char Broil, Weber, and Napoleon. Seems Napoleon good grills are all over a grand, so look like im out of the running there..

Lowes caries a Broil King brand, seems good with the reviews.. but wasnt too sure if i should stick with Weber, that i know.. or if there are other brands i should check..

seems stainless steel is the only thing that wont rust and suck, porcelain covered cast iron is ok, but once it chips, it will rust as well.

anything i am missing?

advice? thoughts?

You lost me at "it must be a natural gas grill" because that does not reconcile with the qualifier "Manly grill".

Remove one of those two conditions and your request may compute.

I also don't understand your lack of patience with charcoal. Do you not add lava rocks to your gas grill and let them heat up before adding your meat? Don't you let your oven pre-heat before putting in the food?

I use a charcoal chimney and light with newspaper (no lighter fluid needed). It takes 15 minutes for the coals to light and be ready to use. And by no means am I standing around waiting for them to finish. Set your phone alarm, drink a beer, have a smoke, watch some TV...

In addition my grill has a firebox so I can do hot and cold smoking. It's also going on 10 years old and still in great shape, and I payed less than you will for one of those gas grills. It's very high quality, steel construction with ceramic glazed grills. I need to replace the firebox and coal rack, but I bet the grill gives me at least another 5 years.

You lost me at "it must be a natural gas grill" because that does not reconcile with the qualifier "Manly grill".

Remove one of those two conditions and your request may compute.

I also don't understand your lack of patience with charcoal. Do you not add lava rocks to your gas grill and let them heat up before adding your meat? Don't you let your oven pre-heat before putting in the food?

I use a charcoal chimney and light with newspaper (no lighter fluid needed). It takes 15 minutes for the coals to light and be ready to use. And by no means am I standing around waiting for them to finish. Set your phone alarm, drink a beer, have a smoke, watch some TV...

In addition my grill has a firebox so I can do hot and cold smoking. It's also going on 10 years old and still in great shape, and I payed less than you will for one of those gas grills. It's very high quality, steel construction with ceramic glazed grills. I need to replace the firebox and coal rack, but I bet the grill gives me at least another 5 years.

haha, i know i know... patience not necessarily only with the lighting, but buying charcoal, lighter fluid, obtaining newspaper, disposing of burnt charcoal after, "getting my hands dirty" sort of aspects... working 50-ish hours a week, dealing with two kids sports, housework etc.. leisure time isnt something i have available.. its mostly get home, turn on gas grill, unpack food needed, cook it as fast as possible without fucking it up, eating, cleaning up, etc..

a new rack and my current one would probably last a while cleaning out the holes where the flames come from etc.. but id rather have something slightly smaller and elimite my need for getting propane ever, so the cost and time of repairing and replacing things and dealing with propane tanks, etc.. just makes me want a new one....

id like to get into doing more steaks and things than just burgers and dogs which is what we mostly do now... but who knows..

You lost me at "it must be a natural gas grill"

Same; all you're doing is taking the stove outside :P  Get a smoker!

Speaking of steaks, I bought a sous vide device and it's almost impossible to mess up a steak with it.  They are not so expensive now (I paid 100 bucks); totally worth it as they double as a crock pot.

I had pressure-cooked rabbit a few weeks ago & now want a pressure cooker.  20-30 minutes and tastes like it's been slow roasting all day.

would love to get a smoker, but id probably use it twice a year...

im a mid 30's suberban twat who works too much to afford shit i dont need(like this grill)... my kids eat very little variety of things.. just wanna cook some burgers and dogs and shit..

Call your dad and make a father son project. You could have a grill and a smoker combination, etc... Make it out of brick. ...or find a stainless one. ...or combine the two. You might need to check with your HOA if you have one. Matching your brick shouldn't be a problem and might add value if done correctly. Once again, check with your real estate advisor before plopping one down.

The more stainless the better IMHO.  The high end grills are expensive for sure and I have trouble justifying them myself actually.  But the higher end ones are easily configured for propane vs natural gas OOTB so that's a plus, and obviously the better quality and materials can provide longevity and value over time. 

Personally, I've mostly just bought the $300 range big box store grills, but am considering a higher end grill this time.  Weber's are certainly nice, but expensive to start with and one that's got more stainless and longer lasting is probably out of your range...and mine too.  :) 

FWIW, I belong to Sam's Club and they have an interesting grill that's mostly stainless and within budget, but its pretty big...more size than I'll ever use.  Lots of stainless steel...more than comparable grills in that price range and even higher.  There seems to be some difference of opinion about whether it comes with all the stuff you need for natural gas...description says you need a conversion kit, but Q/A seems to imply the parts are included.  Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-30in-grill/prod15170554.ip

Hopefully others will chime in on this topic since it's about time to replace mine...I'm down to one working burner and rust is taking over.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Call your dad and make a father son project. You could have a grill and a smoker combination, etc... Make it out of brick. ...or find a stainless one. ...or combine the two. You might need to check with your HOA if you have one. Matching your brick shouldn't be a problem and might add value if done correctly. Once again, check with your real estate advisor before plopping one down.

I think i may be doing a built in smoker and outdoor cooker/brick oven pizza oven thing when we finish the back yard, i pondered waiting and doing a built in grill, but i can always sell the one i have and come out ok when that happens.. love the idea though.. look forward to finishing the outdoor space..

The more stainless the better IMHO.  The high end grills are expensive for sure and I have trouble justifying them myself actually.  But the higher end ones are easily configured for propane vs natural gas OOTB so that's a plus, and obviously the better quality and materials can provide longevity and value over time. 

Personally, I've mostly just bought the $300 range big box store grills, but am considering a higher end grill this time.  Weber's are certainly nice, but expensive to start with and one that's got more stainless and longer lasting is probably out of your range...and mine too.  :)

FWIW, I belong to Sam's Club and they have an interesting grill that's mostly stainless and within budget, but its pretty big...more size than I'll ever use.  Lots of stainless steel...more than comparable grills in that price range and even higher.  There seems to be some difference of opinion about whether it comes with all the stuff you need for natural gas...description says you need a conversion kit, but Q/A seems to imply the parts are included.  Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-30in-grill/prod15170554.ip

Hopefully others will chime in on this topic since it's about time to replace mine...I'm down to one working burner and rust is taking over.

Good luck and keep us posted.

thanks for the info and the link, it APPEARS that grimm is made by Dyna-Glo, i know nothing of that brand, its rebranded with samsclubs brandname, price is solid and thats about as big as i would consider going... i like it... may swing to sams and see if i can get some eyes on one in person...

the natural gas thing IS a concern, as i have heard that the conversion kits dont work well, but that was many years ago, so i will have to investigate. My gut tells me to get something thats made for the natural gas line..

i will contonue to update with my process... 

leaning towards this one: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=525685-65173-922567&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=50381184

its the $100 more expensive version of this one: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=516729-65173-922167&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=50134488

just made with more stainless parts..

going to keep shopping the next few weeks, may get delayed,i may have to spend $300 on plane ticket to ohio if my grandma passes, which is looking likely..

I say go weber... I got the summit on clearance for about $750 a few years ago and it's still in great shape, the genesis is in that price range and very similar. Significantly better quality than anything in the $300 range. The Broil King you linked to looks decent as well though and is cheaper than weber.

Stop with the charcoal nonsense. He has a natural gas hookup already setup for his grill. That's perfect. Never has to worry about filling propane tanks, doesn't have to worry about buying charcoal, doesn't have to worry about storing charcoal.

Look on craigslist for used weber grills. My parents bought one a couple of years ago, got a hell of a deal, and it still looks new to this day. The important thing is to keep it covered. There are some suburban twats who will upgrade their grills depending on what their neighbor has. lol

Even if you drop $300 on a non weber, if you keep it covered it will probably give you 10 years. Consider keeping it in your garage during snowy months.

Stop with the charcoal nonsense. He has a natural gas hookup already setup for his grill. That's perfect. Never has to worry about filling propane tanks, doesn't have to worry about buying charcoal, doesn't have to worry about storing charcoal.

Look on craigslist for used weber grills. My parents bought one a couple of years ago, got a hell of a deal, and it still looks new to this day. The important thing is to keep it covered. There are some suburban twats who will upgrade their grills depending on what their neighbor has. lol

Even if you drop $300 on a non weber, if you keep it covered it will probably give you 10 years. Consider keeping it in your garage during snowy months.

thats exactly what my brother in law did, got a $2,000 grill for like $600 on craigslist from someone who was moving..

deciding between the weber 310 series or the broil king (actually has more and equal reviews) only difference is it has a side burner(dont care) and 4 burners instead of 3 inside..

they are $30 price difference, so no big deal there..

going to do the google test of "weber grill sucks" and  "broil king grills suck" and see what comes up..

I have a Traeger and love it!!

had not heard of them, checking it out now... thanks!

If you want a manly grill, then chop down your own tree, grab some flint and a couple of rocks. There, you are set for manly grill.

i live in colorado, we dont have trees. (except in the mountains)

thats exactly what my brother in law did, got a $2,000 grill for like $600 on craigslist from someone who was moving..

deciding between the weber 310 series or the broil king (actually has more and equal reviews) only difference is it has a side burner(dont care) and 4 burners instead of 3 inside..

they are $30 price difference, so no big deal there..

going to do the google test of "weber grill sucks" and  "broil king grills suck" and see what comes up..

if something exists in the world there will be someone complaining about it on the internet. I wouldn't put too much stock into what that search returns.

i bought a small Weber (spirit E-310 i think) a few years ago and I'm very pleased with it so far. Could be a little bigger but it gets real hot, heats up evenly, and maintains the heat well. 0 complaints from me

if something exists in the world there will be someone complaining about it on the internet. I wouldn't put too much stock into what that search returns.

i bought a small Weber (spirit E-310 i think) a few years ago and I'm very pleased with it so far. Could be a little bigger but it gets real hot, heats up evenly, and maintains the heat well. 0 complaints from me

yea my years in retail have given me the ability to read through idiots bullshit... but if theres 400 people saying the door fell off.. there is a decent chance the door might fall off..

My Weber grill has been awesome going on about 6 years.    Holds temp like no other grill.    They are a little expensive but quality is good.

As for smoker.   Brinkman makes an electric smoker.  Looks like a Red R2D2.   Cheap and easy to use.  Perfect cooker for a person getting into BBQ the right way.    If you buy an a waterheater insulator this smoker works even better.   Awesome food.  Remember low and slow.    As a matter of fact, I don't use the Weber as much anymore.      Cooking BBQ on it isn't as time consuming either as you throw the meat on and let it smoke and check back in a couple of hours.

Oh,  new Weber grills come with this cooking system that looks like an awesome way to blow some more money on.     But you basically can substitute plates in the grill rack to change to a cast iron griddle, skillet, wok etc. 

A wok would be cool, IMO.    You could use that as a fryer too. 

spent a few hours today reading reviews, warranties, horror stories, and it came down to the weber and the broil king that i mention above..

ended up going broil king, ended up getting a better deal on it than i could the weber, it was $30 more than the weber list price, it was $550 vs $519. i used a 10% off lowes coupon and bought $500 in lowes gift cards at 11% off, so i got it for just under $450+ tax basically. and working on a $75 rebate i may be able to swing as well..

grill_over_92216.png

When you describe your grill you're supposed to say, "it's a Broil King Baron 440...".

The black chrome really makes it pop.

What else do you have running off the gas line ? Colorado begs to have an outdoor fire pit and a gas heater and a...

Archived