The OT's getting picked in Rounds 1 and 2 have caused quite a stir around here, especially with Whitworth wanting to be extended. Assuming Whitworth does get an extension, say 2 years, how does the offensive line look in 2016?

Just a thought, but assuming Whitworth gets a 2 year extension, what would you all think about Boling moving to "Center" and Whitworth moving to "Left Guard" in 2016? Of course this would mean Andre Smith going elsewhere in 2016.

2016 Offensive Line: (LT) Cedric Ogbuehi (LG) Andrew Whitworth (C) Clint Boling (RG) Kevin Zeitler (RT) Jake Fisher

I'm not saying this should happen, just tossing it out there. Boling has taken some snaps at Center before. Bodine could back him up and back up a Guard position as well. Take it with a grain of salt but this was Mike Mayock's analysis on Bodine pre-draft in 2014.

Draft Analysis: "He's a really solid player. I think the more tape teams watched of him -- especially the coaches -- the more they liked him. He can play both guard spots, and that's key for him." -- Mike Mayock

Just curious as to what you guys would think about that starting OL in 2016 or what you think the OL will look like in 2016. Feel free to post, in your opinion, what the offensive line will be in 2016. AGAIN! lol I'm just tossing this idea out there!

The OT's getting picked in Rounds 1 and 2 have caused quite a stir around here, especially with Whitworth wanting to be extended. Assuming Whitworth does get an extension, say 2 years, how does the offensive line look in 2016?

Just a thought, but assuming Whitworth gets a 2 year extension, what would you all think about Boling moving to "Center" and Whitworth moving to "Left Guard" in 2016? Of course this would mean Andre Smith going elsewhere in 2016.

2016 Offensive Line: (LT) Cedric Ogbuehi (LG) Andrew Whitworth (C) Clint Boling (RG) Kevin Zeitler (RT) Jake Fisher

I'm not saying this should happen, just tossing it out there. Boling has taken some snaps at Center before. Bodine could back him up and back up a Guard position as well. Take it with a grain of salt but this was Mike Mayock's analysis on Bodine pre-draft in 2014.

Draft Analysis: "He's a really solid player. I think the more tape teams watched of him -- especially the coaches -- the more they liked him. He can play both guard spots, and that's key for him." -- Mike Mayock

Just curious as to what you guys would think about that starting OL in 2016 or what you think the OL will look like in 2016. Feel free to post, in your opinion, what the offensive line will be in 2016. AGAIN! lol I'm just tossing this idea out there!

I don't really think Boling projects that well as a Center and wouldn't likely be better than Bodine.

If you keep Whitworth, then either Whitworth, Boling, Ogbuehi, Zeitler or Fisher is riding the bench. 

It is what it is at this point. They need to let both Whit and Andre walk or the picks were stupid. 

Or Boling is a pretty attractive trade piece.  Problem is, he's much younger on Whit who has a major expiration date looming. 

Answer is to pick up La'el Collins now, trade Boling, and let the young one's ease in behind the vets on the last year of their deals! (obviously never going to happen).  In just two short years we'd have completely turned-over the O line.

I saw today a tweet by some analyst that said the Bengals "don't ask much of their Oline" and the scheme protects the players.  Now that we've got athletic guys, perhaps we can transition to a line that protects the QB, and can sustain blocks long enought that we can run a progression offense (and give our QBs 7 step drops, something we are dead last in the league at doing).

I think next year is

LT Fisher/Ced

LG Whit/Fisher

C Boling

RG Zeitler

RT Ced/Whit

I am pretty sure in the end Fisher will be the starting LT here. I am not very high on Ogbuehi and I think he will need protected. I don't trust Alexander at all. 

I think more and more, this is what confused me about re-signing Boling... I don't think he is strong enough to handle the C position, and I really think Tre would get a shot at LG... They give the option to Zeit, so he's here through 2016. It makes sense then that we lose either Whit or Smitty. I don't think Bodine is going anywhere, they really like him.

I don't see Boling at C.  He'd be the exact opposite of what they wanted to get in Bodine.    The Boling extension as discussed early in the offseason took the natural transition spot away from Whit.

Andre Smith is gone.   He will be too good a player to settle for a short term transition contract from the Bengals.   I think Whit is a dark horse to land an extra year but that depends on fast the new tackles give them comfort.

I'll got 2016 line  Ced - Boling - Bodine - Z - Fischer   with Whit being Swing/Jumbo tackle.

The thing they like about Bodine is he is strong and stout enough to hold up against the NTs in this division. What they like about Boling is his athleticism and ability to pull and get to the second level. Moving him to center negates that. My guess is a healthy Ced plays RT next year and moves to LT after Whit, meanwhile Fisher is the first OL off the bench and part of the " Big" package until then.

The thing they like about Bodine is he is strong and stout enough to hold up against the NTs in this division. What they like about Boling is his athleticism and ability to pull and get to the second level. Moving him to center negates that. My guess is a healthy Ced plays RT next year and moves to LT after Whit, meanwhile Fisher is the first OL off the bench and part of the " Big" package until then.

Tend to agree with this. They want a big brute at Center and he doesn't have to be super athletic. They want a nimble left guard because they love to pull him to the right and run behind their two big road graders in Zeitler/Smith. 

The Bengals probably give into Whit's demands for an extra year or two. And either our 1st or 2nd rounder will end up playing out at least half of his rookie deal as a backup. We've seen this movie before with Dre Kirkpatrick at CB. 

I agree with this, but think Fisher is the RT next year and Ced first off the bench as swingman until eventually taking over LT.  Just think Fisher is the more complete product and Ced will have some things to work on.  Maybe those things get worked out this year, time will tell.

I think more and more, this is what confused me about re-signing Boling... I don't think he is strong enough to handle the C position, and I really think Tre would get a shot at LG... They give the option to Zeit, so he's here through 2016. It makes sense then that we lose either Whit or Smitty. I don't think Bodine is going anywhere, they really like him.

I'm not sure Zeitler is here in 2016 without a contract extension. The team exercised his option for 2016 but it's not guaranteed except for injury so they can withdraw the offer next spring. His option number is a bit over 8 mil and is determined by the highest paid O-linemen, not just guards. Zeitler isn't an 8 mil per year player so that option is just a placeholder til an extension is done. If Zeitler refuses to sign an extension and wants to play for the 1 year, 8 mil option, the team may well release him to free agency and try to re-sign  or replace him there. 

I agree with this, but think Fisher is the RT next year and Ced first off the bench as swingman until eventually taking over LT.  Just think Fisher is the more complete product and Ced will have some things to work on.  Maybe those things get worked out this year, time will tell.

Not so sure.  A healthy Ced was seen as a top 10 pick.  Fisher went 53, but was graded in the low 30s.

Not so sure.  A healthy Ced was seen as a top 10 pick.  Fisher went 53, but was graded in the low 30s.

The only rankings that really matter in terms of the Bengals are what Bengals scouts thought. They had Ogbuehi as a top 3 OT and Fisher #4. They were prepared to take Fisher if Ogbuehi had gone top 20 and said they had a 1st round grade on him. 

So I don't think there's a big gap from the Bengals' (specifically Paul Alexander) perspective. If it does come down to a situation in 2016 where there's only one starting job open, I think it would be a really tight competition but based upon their Bengals draft grades, I think you'd have to give the nod to Ogbuehi.

I don't know if Z will be extended but I'm confident the Bengals will put the push on to get one done.   There was no shortage of the staff saying he was at Pro Bowl level last year.

Durability might be a concern.

I don't see Boling at C.  He'd be the exact opposite of what they wanted to get in Bodine.    The Boling extension as discussed early in the offseason took the natural transition spot away from Whit.

Andre Smith is gone.   He will be too good a player to settle for a short term transition contract from the Bengals.   I think Whit is a dark horse to land an extra year but that depends on fast the new tackles give them comfort.

I'll got 2016 line  Ced - Boling - Bodine - Z - Fischer   with Whit being Swing/Jumbo tackle.

They are changing the entire makeup of the OL so going the opposite of Bodine makes complete sense. Neither Ced or Fisher fit their normal guys on OL. They are moving to Hue's style.

They are changing the entire makeup of the OL so going the opposite of Bodine makes complete sense. Neither Ced or Fisher fit their normal guys on OL. They are moving to Hue's style.

lol, complete sense.      First wasn't Hue around when Bodine was drafted?   Second if Boling is the matching Center for his style then why the hell would they wait for him to play it in 2016?

Center is a more important position to fill than LG.  

lol, complete sense.      First wasn't Hue around when Bodine was drafted?   Second if Boling is the matching Center for his style then why the hell would they wait for him to play it in 2016?

Center is a more important position to fill than LG.  

I think they reached for Bodine because they needed a center. In no way was he impressive last year nor was he impressive at UNC. If Boling goes to C in 2016 they can use 2015 to get him practice reps for comfort and I wouldn't want a new center unless I had a guy like Whitworth next to him. Moving Whit to LG this year isn't best for the team. It is all speculation but just a thought. I wouldn't put it past them either.

I get the feeling that they expected to lose Hue pretty fast and now I get the gut feeling that Hue is going to hang around for a while.

.......or the picks were stupid. 

it took you a while to get there, but you made it.

selecting one tackle replacement should have been considered a wise choice and investment in the future. when you go there twice, just because of a fucked up philosophy that you think mandates that you have to adhere to....NO MATTER WHAT...well, that's when you back yourself into the current predicament where we find ourselves.

pick #53 could have done SO much more to improve this team. they really fucked this one up! 

The Boling re-sign remains the big stinker of the off-season for me.  Granted, they got him at a decent deal compared to the UFA market, but 5M/year for Guard seems like one of the perfect spots to save $$ and get younger/plan for the future. 

The Boling re-sign remains the big stinker of the off-season for me.  Granted, they got him at a decent deal compared to the UFA market, but 5M/year for Guard seems like one of the perfect spots to save $$ and get younger/plan for the future. 

BPA would be a lot easier to execute if they had the draft before FA. I really liked it that way back in 2011. 

I liked the Boling signing at the time because we really didn't have a plan B (Hopkins is a massive unknown) other than locking ourselves into taking OG early, even if it wasn't BPA. Plus, 5/$25 with the way the salary cap is sky-rocketing is fine for an above-average young starting OL. 

The Bengals strategy lately seems to be trying to at lock up a legit starting lineup before the draft so they are free to mostly take best available the first 2 days and not have to reach to fill a really glaring hole.

With the benefit of hindsight, maybe they'd take back the Boling contract. While I didn't love the double OT start, I also can't really fault them for taking their highest rated guys. When you put the two (FA and the draft) together though, it doesn't quite add up because there were other wants/needs and they used a ton of combined draft capital/FA money to address one position while only hitting some other key spots with Day 3 picks and minimum salary FAs (DT and WR).

This.

I didn't love the Ogbuehi pick at 1, but Fisher in the second was inspired. He projects to give depth across the line until he settles in somewhere as a permanent starter around Year 3.

Andre Smith is gone after the season. And that's alright. Of all the looming free agents, he was probably going to be the toughest to re-sign anyway.

Archived