Who should be happiest with Bengals' draft? Andy Dalton

Who should be happiest with Bengals' draft? Andy Dalton

CINCINNATI -- You know who should be happiest with the Cincinnati Bengals' draft haul?

Their quarterback, Andy Dalton.

About a month after the Bengals wrapped up a free-agency period that was heavy on defensive additions, they focused their attention on offense in the draft. Of the nine drafted last weekend, five were offensive players, including the first three picks.

As one reader put it in an email Wednesday: This was Hue Jackson's draft.  Indeed, the offensive coordinator and his assistants on that side of the ball added complementary pieces in hopes of easing the burden that's been on Dalton's shoulders since he became the team's starting quarterback as a rookie in 2011.

The big question is how much will each of the draft picks play in 2015?

Chances are, of the offensive rookies, only Jake Fisher, Tyler Kroft and Mario Alford figure to see any legitimate action this season. Fisher, Cincinnati's second-round pick, would be coming off the bench as a likely fourth-string offensive tackle, although he could get reserve action as a guard, too. Alford, the speedy seventh-round selection, would be a change-of-pace option in the passing game if he makes the team. His biggest contribution may come on special teams, where he's expected to compete for the kick returner's job.

Of the trio, Kroft may see the most action with Dalton behind center. Expected to be the No. 2 tight end coming out of training camp, he and fellow tight end Tyler Eifert could make a solid passing tandem. Considered a complete tight end, Kroft's blocking and pass-catching skills were highlighted by Bengals coaches following his third-round selection.

Why else should Dalton be pleased with these additions? Because it means he has more protection and even more weapons.

There's nothing bad about that.

Remember, by the end of last year, Dalton had relatively few passing targets. A.J. Green missed the playoff game with a concussion. Marvin Jones missed the entire year with foot and ankle issues, and Eifert was part of just eight plays. After a strong start, Dalton's passing numbers eventually waned as his passing options left the rotation.

The Bengals were so depleted with pass-catchers that reserve running back Rex Burkhead was enlisted to serve as a third receiver in the wild-card round loss at Indianapolis.

They don't want that to happen again.

As much as this was a draft about depth and building for the future, it also was about bolstering the offense for now. By taking two offensive tackles in the first two rounds -- players whom many gave first-round grades -- the Bengals sent a message that they want to protect Dalton even better than they did in 2015, and that they want to give an already good running game a boost.

Cincinnati actually had good pass protection and a sound rushing attack last year. According to Pro Football Focus, the Bengals' line tied for the fourth-best pass-blocking efficiency. They also had the sixth-most productive rushing unit, averaging 134.2 yards per game.

While neither Fisher nor rehabbing first-round tackle Cedric Ogbuehi (ACL) is expected to contribute much this season, both still could occasionally see the field in unique roles. Offensive line coach Paul Alexander let it slip last week that the edge blockers have experience playing as extra tight ends in unbalanced line sets. Using them in that capacity could make it even harder for defenders to stop the running backs.

Better blocking for Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard should lead to better production for them. The more productive they are, the less pressure Dalton has to feel.

He should be happy. He has some help for the foreseeable future.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17054/bengals-andy-dalton-nfl-draft-help-happy-haul

I can't believe you did this.  Almost 2 entire pages of posts WITHOUT the mention of Andy Dalton.  That is a minor miracle on this board and you had to go and screw it up.   :ninja:

Oh, and I do agree with WRAP, Hunt is probably trying to do cartwheels.

I disagree, Margus Hunt is the happiest person after the draft. He's pretty much guaranteed a roster spot he probably doesn't deserve

i cant beleive how much people care about players who arent going to play.. as if some other guy who also isnt going to play would be way better at not playing...

backup problems are not real problems..

New poster here. Came from the Bengals.com forums.

I'd say Paul Guenther has to be pretty happy getting Dawson in the 3rd, Derron Smith in the 6th, and Shaw in the 4th. Also, Marcus Hardison in the 4th was pretty nifty. People forget that Peko and Atkins were also picked in the 4th round. 

Overall, Guenther has to be stoked with his value pick ups in the draft. Most of these players were rated a round higher. Shaw would have gone in the 2nd or higher had he played most of the season.

Don't forget the Denarius Moore signing also. It's insurance to try to improve the quality of the WR corps behind Green and Marvin Jones. After all, Sanu tailed off badly last year and overall our depth at both WR and LB got badly exposed.

As to our draftees, I think Kroft is going to get more play early on than we might think as Eifert is going to be super rusty and will need to be worked back in, especially as they make sure he is 100%. And I think what they are hoping is that Kroft is like Gresham but without the mental mistakes.

I'd say Paul Guenther has to be pretty happy getting Dawson in the 3rd, Derron Smith in the 6th, and Shaw in the 4th. Also, Marcus Hardison in the 4th was pretty nifty. People forget that Peko and Atkins were also picked in the 4th round. 

Overall, Guenther has to be stoked with his value pick ups in the draft. Most of these players were rated a round higher. Shaw would have gone in the 2nd or higher had he played most of the season.

Shaw and Dawson should prove to be the steals of this draft, but pass rush IMO is still majorly in doubt. 

cant argue with any of that honestly..

As to our draftees, I think Kroft is going to get more play early on than we might think as Eifert is going to be super rusty and will need to be worked back in, especially as they make sure he is 100%.

I expect Eifert to hit the ground running.

i do too actually.. since it wasnt a leg thing.. he could still run and stuff throughout.. and i assume has been catching balls full speed for months now...

Nobody on the roster, including Eifert, has hit anyone in anger in months....so how far behind can he really be?

Plus, they've had months to prepare for Eiferts return.

Rust won't be a problem.

Not to mention how Hue spent months last year preparing Eifert for a heavy role in the passing game, only to shelve whole chapters of the playbook when he went down. 

As for Kroft, I expect him to produce a fraction of what Gresham did but still manage to be three times the player.

Agree.

Defensive depth improved overall. Shaw might be THE steal.

For all the consternation over the pass rush, it will improve this year.

Archived