Everything goes downhill in a hurry if the front 4 can't even bother the QB like the Colts playoff game. They have to at least make the QB hurry, move around in the pocket and throw some away. Allowing the QB to eat some cheese, drink some wine and catch some rays won't work.

Luckily this team made pass Rush an exceptionally high priority this offseason and did everything possible to ensure they brought in the best veteran free agents (not bums who only get like 3 sacks in a year and disappear in big games per usual), and by attacking the draft and drafting top level pass rushers instead of projects who won't play for at least a year.

Pass rush has been handled, they'll be a dominant force with the amazing talents they brought in.

:ninja:

Besides, per Marvin: "sacks don't matter"

Geno - proven

Gio - proven

Pacman - proven

Hill- proven

Proven themselves when?

Because if we're talking about when the lights are on (playoffs?), we can go down a long list of players on this team that regularly shit the bed:

DLine: 1 sacks

OLine: 3 sacks

AJ Green: Absent

LB's: Sieve

Run D: abhorrent. 

As long as we keep believing our own press about most talented roster yada yada yada, I guess Dalton will continue to be the easy whipping boy. But the failure of this team to perform when the lights are on is historically long and well documented.  You can lay the blame at the coaches that fail to have their team ready or the wide variety of team members who shit their pants when they are most called to step up, but either way you can't use that Dalton is the one piece holding this team back binary thinking and expect anyone but other simple-minded folk to swallow it.

I wish Dalton were the only problem. It'd make it a much easier one to fix.

Geno - proven

Gio - proven

Pacman - proven

Hill- proven

AJ- proven

MJ- proven

Dre- proving every game

Nelson- proven

Dunlap- proven

Whit- proven

Boling- proven

Hall- proven

Huber- proven

M.Jones- proven

Sanu - proven

Zeitler - proven

Andre - proven

Rey - proven

Iloka - proven

Tez - proven

All proven to be real good NFL players.  Players that could probably make the starting line up for almost any other team.

Fixed these for you

Geno - Shadow of his former self, largely absent in all playoff games.

Gio -  Game losing fumble two playoff games ago, inconsequential last playoff game.

Pacman - proven - agreed

Hill-  below average performance in last playoff game (indict Hill or his OLine, but indict one)

AJ- - Dropped multipe TDs in Playoffs; repeatedly shutdown in playoffs, absent last playoff game

MJ- - Absolutely manhandled in run game and zero pressure in playoff games.

Dre- proving every game - Wouldn't go that far, but has shown he can shine with the lights on, something few others do on this team.

Nelson- - also ran in playoff performances

Dunlap-- also totally absent in playoff performances

Whit- Leader and anchor of a line that gets crushed in run game and devasted in pass game in playoff perforamnces.

Boling- - a middling interior lineman who regularly gives up game changing (turnover causing) sacks.

Hall- An aging vet who got torched in playoffs.

Huber-- who cares? (unless we're talking about gimme field goals for the win that would have netted us the division, then of course, he's not proven, he's a choker that should have been cut that week).

M.Jones- A guy who's spent half his career injured proven lol? I hope he turns into what I think he can, but... he wasn't even in uniform in... the playoff game.

Sanu  - If you mean he's proven he can disappear completely and drop passes, you are correct.

Zeitler - proven that he hasn't reached his potential.  See Whit above for playoff performance

Andre  - See Zeitler, above.

Rey  - LMAO.  A regular piece of toast in every playoff game we've played.  Overpursues and burns us in the run game and gets torched with underneath passes in the passing game.

Iloka - Ascending player

Tez  - has had some of his worst games in the playoffs, and didn't play last year.

All proven to be real good NFL players.  Players that could probably make the starting line up for almost any other team.

Stop believing the homer press. 

I'll be the first to say that it all starts with Marvin.  And I'll happily say that Dalton hasn't performed well in the playoffs.  But those two facts do not automatically turn the rest of the team into superheroes, as you seem to think.

QB is the most important position when it comes to winning a playoff game.

Andy Dalton has failed what 4 times now to show us something?

January 7, 2012 — Texans 31, Bengals 10 (wild card)
January 5, 2013 — Texans 19, Bengals 13 (wild card)
January 5, 2014 — Chargers 27, Bengals 10 (wild card)
January 4, 2015 — Colts 26, Bengals 10 (wild card) 

(can't win averaging 10 points in the playoffs)

Do we have other players that maybe didn't give us their best in those games, yeah but you can say the same for any team who has won a playoff game had players who didn't play well but they still manage to get the win.

Andy's Stats in the playoffs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00/gamelog/post/

Pretty bad. 

I agree not many have stepped up, but ultimately we've been in games and the offense just hasn't been able to move the ball or score when they needed to.  

2011 vs. Texans, we lost 31-10, but we were in that game.  This was the JJ Watt pick-six game.  So the defense gave up 24 points in a game where we had 3 turnovers. It was 17-10 late into the 3rd quarter.

2012 vs. Texans, we lost 19-13.  The offense scored 6 points.  Leon had a pick-six for us.  

2013 vs. SD, we lost 27-10.  We had the lead a half-time and came out with 3 straight turnovers.  Plus the Gio fumble at the end of the first half which took 4 points off of the board.

2014 -- I really can't blame the offense here, Sexy Rexy was our #2 receiver...we had no chance in this game.

The bottom line is as bad as the defense has been in the playoffs, the offense has been that much worse and the entire offense has something to prove.  We could have won the first 3 playoff games if the offense wasn't so putrid.  I'm not sure what we expect the defense to do when the offense can't stay on the field.

This.

The D hasnt played all that well, but the O has been putrid.

I dont know what we added this offseason that makes me think were going to change that this one.

I dont know what we added this offseason that makes me think were going to change that this one.

Dalton has spent weeks with House instead of a few days.

McCooter was handed QB2 without a fight, implying they must have seen something of worth hiding under all of those awful tattoos. 

OL has been stabilized and strengthened, an important consideration for a team determined to run the ball more behind Jeremy Hill.

If Eifert is healthy TE position has been upgraded as Gresham had the poorest 1st down conversion rate of Top30 TE's.

Add in rookie Kroft who can produce half as much and still be twice the player as untrustworthy Gresham.

Best, the crowd of young talent at TE allows Bengals to use Hewitt almost exclusively as a FB, further strengthening the running game. 

Finally, while upgrades and additions at WR may have been underwhelming they do get injured players back (Green, Jones, Wright), they added depth I think they'll actually use (Moore), and they drafted a role player with 4.2 speed (Alford). 

Is it enough to make people forget dreams of DGB or Tyler Lockett?

Probably not.

I agree not many have stepped up, but ultimately we've been in games and the offense just hasn't been able to move the ball or score when they needed to.  

2011 vs. Texans, we lost 31-10, but we were in that game.  This was the JJ Watt pick-six game.  So the defense gave up 24 points in a game where we had 3 turnovers. It was 17-10 late into the 3rd quarter.

2012 vs. Texans, we lost 19-13.  The offense scored 6 points.  Leon had a pick-six for us.  

2013 vs. SD, we lost 27-10.  We had the lead a half-time and came out with 3 straight turnovers.  Plus the Gio fumble at the end of the first half which took 4 points off of the board.

2014 -- I really can't blame the offense here, Sexy Rexy was our #2 receiver...we had no chance in this game.

The bottom line is as bad as the defense has been in the playoffs, the offense has been that much worse and the entire offense has something to prove.  We could have won the first 3 playoff games if the offense wasn't so putrid.  I'm not sure what we expect the defense to do when the offense can't stay on the field.

Dalton's wide open overthrow and AJs wide open drop in the Houston games still haunt me.

Is it enough to make people forget dreams of DGB or Tyler Lockett?

Hard to argue with that.  Over time I find myself increasingly less satisfied with that first pick, given the benefit of hindsight from the second.  Screw the trade down opportunity to add a couple of solid players even.  If the rumors were true about them feeling either/or about Oghebui/Fisher in the first round and Fisher/Phillips in the second, I think I'd rather have spent that first pick on Philips (who I wasn't in love with pre-draft) than Cedric. 

But who knows? Maybe their disdain for Andre is much greater than I thought, in which case the two T move makes more sense (because the logical move going into the future is resign the younger guy).

Edit:  The one exception if there's some diabolical plan to give one of these guys legit LG or even C snaps as they wait in the wings. 

But then that makes me dislike the Boling resign even more than I did when it happened. 

Really? Offense was top 10 rushing for the first time in years.

Geunther's defense, OTOH, fell off a fuckin cliff.

Could have been #1 if Hue wouldn't have fucked off running Gio up the gut over and over while giving Hill a handful of carries half the year too.

Fixed these for you

I'll be the first to say that it all starts with Marvin.  And I'll happily say that Dalton hasn't performed well in the playoffs.  But those two facts do not automatically turn the rest of the team into superheroes, as you seem to think.

I'm located in Louisville,Ky.  The only press I see on the Bengals is on this site as I rarely visit the official team site and they are never talked about on tv or written publication around here. The majority of NFL fans around here follow the Colts, Titans, Steelers, Cowboys and Packers.

I'm speaking about what I see with my own eyes.  This is the biggest, fastest, strongest Bengals team I have ever seen. 

IMO, the best hope for Dalton is to be a Baltimore Raven, Trent Dilfer type QB.

Fixed these for you

Geno - Shadow of his former self, largely absent in all playoff games.

Gio -  Game losing fumble two playoff games ago, inconsequential last playoff game.

Pacman - proven - agreed

Hill-  below average performance in last playoff game (indict Hill or his OLine, but indict one)

AJ- - Dropped multipe TDs in Playoffs; repeatedly shutdown in playoffs, absent last playoff game

MJ- - Absolutely manhandled in run game and zero pressure in playoff games.

Dre- proving every game - Wouldn't go that far, but has shown he can shine with the lights on, something few others do on this team.

Nelson- - also ran in playoff performances

Dunlap-- also totally absent in playoff performances

Whit- Leader and anchor of a line that gets crushed in run game and devasted in pass game in playoff perforamnces.

Boling- - a middling interior lineman who regularly gives up game changing (turnover causing) sacks.

Hall- An aging vet who got torched in playoffs.

Huber-- who cares? (unless we're talking about gimme field goals for the win that would have netted us the division, then of course, he's not proven, he's a choker that should have been cut that week).

M.Jones- A guy who's spent half his career injured proven lol? I hope he turns into what I think he can, but... he wasn't even in uniform in... the playoff game.

Sanu  - If you mean he's proven he can disappear completely and drop passes, you are correct.

Zeitler - proven that he hasn't reached his potential.  See Whit above for playoff performance

Andre  - See Zeitler, above.

Rey  - LMAO.  A regular piece of toast in every playoff game we've played.  Overpursues and burns us in the run game and gets torched with underneath passes in the passing game.

Iloka - Ascending player

Tez  - has had some of his worst games in the playoffs, and didn't play last year.

So cold but so true.

Hall of Fame post. +1

Bernard gets my vote for being the next to go from penthouse to outhouse quick.

Hue gets a lot of credit but he looked like a tackling dummy in the Cleveland game 

catching passes in the flat... looked like they had our playbook...

and this running him up the middle stuff works about one play of of seven and that's

often a broken play (ref the one poster's sig).

Archived