2015 and beyond - TV Talk

Go Skins

If I had to rank these 4 Marvel superhero series, I'd do it like this:

1. Luke Cage

2. Jessica Jones

3. Season 1 Daredevil

4. Iron Fist

5. Season 2 Daredevil -- although arguably Frank Castle could have nudged it into the 4. place.

I do have high hopes for the Defenders.

On 5/19/2017 at 3:00 PM, CincyInDC said:

If I had to rank these 4 Marvel superhero series, I'd do it like this:

1. Luke Cage

2. Jessica Jones

3. Season 1 Daredevil

4. Iron Fist

5. Season 2 Daredevil -- although arguably Frank Castle could have nudged it into the 4. place.

I do have high hopes for the Defenders.

I think I'd go

1. DareDevil Season 2

2. DareDevil Season 1

3. Luke Cage

4. Jessica Jones

5. Iron Fist

The bottom 2 have glaring things I think they could have toned up to really make them solid.  Jessica Jones IMO was also more me in that I didn't love the 80's private eye voice over style that they went for.

Defenders looks like it should be a lot of fun, and here pretty soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Binge watched "13 Reasons Why" over the last two Sunday's.  I am glad social media wasn't around when I was in high school, but I think most of the situations that were portrayed seemed realistic.  There are a lot of time jumps and I am convinced Netflix has a problem about getting a show going at the beginning (this was the issue I had w/Stranger Things but the kids acted really good) and not at the end.  The way this show is set up, it is one episode per character, but it doesn't go as deep as it should have till the last 3 episodes.  

On 7/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, Go Skins said:

Binge watched "13 Reasons Why" over the last two Sunday's.  I am glad social media wasn't around when I was in high school, but I think most of the situations that were portrayed seemed realistic.  There are a lot of time jumps and I am convinced Netflix has a problem about getting a show going at the beginning (this was the issue I had w/Stranger Things but the kids acted really good) and not at the end.  The way this show is set up, it is one episode per character, but it doesn't go as deep as it should have till the last 3 episodes.  

Kind of an advertisement for suicide, wasn't it?  The dude realizes how in love he was, all the people that doubted or mistreated her have their "we should've listened" epiphany, the baddies get served justice.. Every wrong is put right and her suicide becomes the transformational, defining moment of all their lives. It romanticized the hell out of killing yourself.  I mean it worked as a story but it was kind of irresponsible when you think about someone of that age group watching it.  They should've maybe thrown in a scene of them a few years later at a college party trying to remember what her name was, something to make it all a little less perfect from her perspective.   

Kind of an advertisement for suicide, wasn't it?  The dude realizes how in love he was, all the people that doubted or mistreated her have their "we should've listened" epiphany, the baddies get served justice.. Every wrong is put right and her suicide becomes the transformational, defining moment of all their lives. It romanticized the hell out of killing yourself.  I mean it worked as a story but it was kind of irresponsible when you think about someone of that age group watching it.  They should've maybe thrown in a scene of them a few years later at a college party trying to remember what her name was, something to make it all a little less perfect from her perspective.   

Just finished watching it and I wouldn't say that at all. The act of suicide wasn't painted in a positive light at all and many of the characters end up worse off.

One tries to kill him self, one is now homeless and one is going to jail. One learned nothing leading to the one trying to kill him self.

The only ones who have any transformation are 1-2 who were halfway decent kids to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Anyone watch Star Trek Discovery?  It is different than previous versions of Trek, but I think I'll like it.  I try to remind myself that initial episodes of the other series were that great.  

Spoiler

I do not like the new look for the Klingons - probably didn't need a spoiler for that.

I've enjoyed The Orville as well.  I think I read somewhere that is it sci-fi junkfood or something.  Not great, but somewhat entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 9:40 AM, Elflocko said:

Been watching "Big Mouth" on Netflix. Holy shit is that show twisted... 

I watched the first episode..pretty damn funny

I love a lot of the people voicing the characters

Kroll is a freaking comedic genius man

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fortitude on Amazon Prime has been really good, not at all what I expected from the trailer (ie another mopey, slow-moving Scandinavian crime drama, light on the crime & extra heavy on the drama).  It's not entirely unlike that but has more going for it than "look how bleak and cold it is here."

• 4 weeks later...

Mentioned "The Terror" in the main forum but it is picking up nicely.  Suggest watching with subs unless you're particularly good at understanding slurred & mumbled heavy UK accents; save yourself the rewinds.

"The Expanse" is decent sci-fi & into season 3. The acting is pretty 2nd-rate for the most part but there are some nice details here & there with the plot/setting that make up for it.

Archived