Early 2016 Draft Discussion

Had this thread started on Bengals.com just to post random 2016 draft discussion. Looking ahead to free agents for next season and recent positions drafted I think we may end up looking at Defensive Tackle, Defensive End, Wide Receiver, and Linebacker as 4 of our biggest needs heading into next season. If Dalton flops again I would think Quarterback could jump to the top of the list if Mike Brown were willing to walk away from a contract. I have my doubts about that one since he is paying Leon Hall $10 million dollars and Peko is still a starter. However, some Quarterbacks to watch this upcoming season are Jared Goff from Cal, Jones from Ohio State, Cook from Michigan State, Kessler from USC, Kiel from Cincy, and also Hackenberg from Penn State if he can bounce back from a terrible season last year.

If the Bengals go after a QB in 2016, they did it the right way. First they invested in the o-line. That and a strong running game makes it a lot easier to ease a rookie QB, heck any QB, into the system. They locked down the o-line, now they have the freedom to consider a new QB.

i think Dalton will find success in this system, but believe the biggest detriment to his career is the current QB coach.

I HOPE Dalton finds success here but I think we have one of the most talented rosters in the entire league these last few years and he just disappears in the spotlight. AJ hasn't been much help in the playoffs lately either. I hope we can get to the point this season that Jeremy Hill is so dominant and the Tight End play is improved that Dalton is able to take the next step and at least lead us to one playoff victory.

Defensive end as a "top need"?  When is Dunlap's contract up?  I think whether or not it is a need will depend on the development of Clarke and Hunt.

I could see WR possibly being an early need. 

I hope that if Dalton does not play better in stressful situations they would look at an upgrade.

They may also need a little more OL depth.

Defensive end as a "top need"?  When is Dunlap's contract up?  I think whether or not it is a need will depend on the development of Clarke and Hunt.

I could see WR possibly being an early need. 

I hope that if Dalton does not play better in stressful situations they would look at an upgrade.

They may also need a little more OL depth.

both Dunlap and MJ are under contract for the next 4 years.

If the Bengals go after a QB in 2016, they did it the right way. First they invested in the o-line. That and a strong running game makes it a lot easier to ease a rookie QB, heck any QB, into the system. They locked down the o-line, now they have the freedom to consider a new QB.

i think Dalton will find success in this system, but believe the biggest detriment to his career is the current QB coach.

And his lack of ability. 

QB Dalton 2020 McCarron 2017 Johnson 2015 Pryor 2015
RB Hill 2017 Bernard 2016 Burkhead 2016 Wilder 2015 Peerman 2015 Watson U
HB Hewitt 2016 Weisman U
WR Green 2015 Moore 2015 Hamilton 2015
WR Jones 2015 Wright 2017 Reese R
WR Sanu 2015 Alford 2018 Kumerow U
TE Eifert 2017 Kroft 2018 Uzomah 2018 Murphy R Lengel U Peters U
LT Whitworth 2015 Fisher 2018 O'Donnell 2015
LG Boling 2019 Hopkins 2016
C Bodine 2017 Johnson 2015 Smith U Jaspers U
RG Zeitler 2016€ Hawkinson 2016 France R
RT Smith 2015 Ogbouehi 2018 Winston 2015

K Nugent 2016 Obarski U
P Huber 2017
LS Harris 2017

LE Dunlap 2018 Hunt 2016 Clarke 2017
LT Peko 2016 Thompson 2015 Sims 2015 Williams U
RT Atkins 2018 Hardison 2018 Still 2015 Geathers 1
RE Johnson 2018 Gilberry 2015 Montgomery R Pole U
SLB Lamur 2015 Dimanche 2015 Porter 2016 Carter 2015
MLB Maualuga 2017 Hawk 2016 Johnson 2015 Roach U
WLB Burfict 2017 Dawson 2018 Rey 2015 Flowers 2017
S IIoka 2015 Williams 2016 Keo 2015 Dargen U
S Nelson 2015 Smith 2018 Raven U
CB Hall 2015 Dennard 2017 Shaw 2018 Ghee 2015 Hill U
CB Kirkpatrick 2016€ Jones 2015 Lewis-Harris 2015 McCalebb 1

QB Dalton 2020 McCarron 2017 
RB Hill 2017 Bernard 2016 Burkhead 2016
HB Hewitt 2016 
WR
WR Wright 2017 
WR Alford 2018 
TE Eifert 2017 Kroft 2018 Uzomah 2018 
LT Fisher 2018 
LG Boling 2019 Hopkins 2016
C Bodine 2017 
RG Zeitler 2016€ Hawkinson 2016 
RT Ogbouehi 2018 

K Nugent 2016 
P Huber 2017
LS Harris 2017

LE Dunlap 2018 Hunt 2016 Clarke 2017
LT Peko 2016 
RT Atkins 2018 Hardison 2018 
RE Johnson 2018 
SLB Porter 2016 
MLB Maualuga 2017 Hawk 2016 
WLB Burfict 2017 Dawson 2018 Flowers 2017
S Williams 2016
S Smith 2018 

CB Dennard 2017 Shaw 2018
CB Kirkpatrick 2016€

QB Dalton 2020 McCarron 2017 
RB Hill 2017 
HB 
WR 
WR Wright 2017 
WR Alford 2018 
TE Eifert 2017 Kroft 2018 Uzomah 2018 
LT Fisher 2018 
LG Boling 2019
C Bodine 2017 
RG Hawkinson 2016 
RT Ogbouehi 2018 

P Huber 2017
LS Harris 2017

LE Dunlap 2018 Clarke 2017
LT
RT Atkins 2018 Hardison 2018 
RE Johnson 2018 
SLB 
MLB Maualuga 2017 
WLB Burfict 2017 Dawson 2018 Flowers 2017

Smith 2018

CB Dennard 2017 Shaw 2018
CB 

And his lack of ability. 

He was not bad when he started here, but the more time he spends with Zampese, the more questionable he looks. Similar to what happened with Palmer. .

Now Palmer is in Arizona, several seasons removed from the Bengals and he looks very good. Maybe even All Pro caliber if he did not get hurt.

Also, let's not forget the new OC.

Lest we forget last season we played with far less than a full deck at WR and TE. We also lost our starting RT.

Of the four primetime outings in the regular season Andy actually played well in three of them. The fourth was the ridiculous Browns loss of course. But New England, Denver and the Steelers were all strong outings. Also, let's not forget that the whole team is what has tended to get stage fright especially in the playoffs. Lest we forget the defense imploded too.

Lest we forget last season we played with far less than a full deck at WR and TE. We also lost our starting RT.

Of the four primetime outings in the regular season Andy actually played well in three of them. The fourth was the ridiculous Browns loss of course. But New England, Denver and the Stealers were all strong outings. Also, let's not forget that the whole team is what has tended to get stage fright especially in the playoffs. Lest we forget the defense imploded too.

+1

• 3 months later...

Man.  Watching Jaylon Smith for ND Saturday night had me salivating.  That kid can play some ball.  He could be Marvin's joker that he's been searching for because he shoots gaps, can cover, and can get after the quarterback.  I imagine he will skyrocket up the board closer to the draft.

Braxton will be an interesting one.  He certainly seems like a Percy clone.  Not sure I'd be crazy about a first round pick on a guy like that depending on how Gio plays, but he looks like he is going to succeed in that role.

I haven't watched a ND game in a long time.  But I know Jaylon is highly regarded.  I would flat LOVE to see Darron Lee in stripes.  He (or Smith), Burfict, and Dawson could put the D over the top.  But I'm not sure either will still be there when we pick.

The scary thing about Braxton is he is really still learning how to be a WR, but his physical skills are incredible.  His first catch against VT was outstanding, and once he catches the ball he is as ANYONE out there. Keep in mind, Braxton is also about 6'1" 210, so he has the size to play outside.

I haven't watched a ND game in a long time.  But I know Jaylon is highly regarded.  I would flat LOVE to see Darron Lee in stripes.  He (or Smith), Burfict, and Dawson could put the D over the top.  But I'm not sure either will still be there when we pick.

The scary thing about Braxton is he is really still learning how to be a WR, but his physical skills are incredible.  His first catch against VT was outstanding, and once he catches the ball he is as ANYONE out there. Keep in mind, Braxton is also about 6'1" 210, so he has the size to play outside.

Assuming we can keep Marvin Jones around, it's definitely looking like a defensive draft early in my opinion. We used our first 3 picks on offense last year and look pretty well set up going forward. So DT, LB and S are the three positions I'll be watching more closely this college season.

Darron Lee is my favorite option for the Bengals at this early point in the process as well. Imagining a healthy Vontaze Burfict and Darron Lee on this defense together gets me very excited. 

We'll have to see how FA plays out but Safety could end up being a major need. Vonn Bell from OSU is damn good and will probably leave early. Could get behind him in the 1st round.

It might be time to think about a DT early too because Peko is getting up there in years. UCLA has a big guy named Kenny Clark who would fit the bill. He hasn't even turned 20 yet so there's a lot of long-term potential.

Assuming we can keep Marvin Jones around, it's definitely looking like a defensive draft early in my opinion. We used our first 3 picks on offense last year and look pretty well set up going forward. So DT, LB and S are the three positions I'll be watching more closely this college season.

Darron Lee is my favorite option for the Bengals at this early point in the process as well. Imagining a healthy Vontaze Burfict and Darron Lee on this defense together gets me very excited. 

We'll have to see how FA plays out but Safety could end up being a major need. Vonn Bell from OSU is damn good and will probably leave early. Could get behind him in the 1st round.

It might be time to think about a DT early too because Peko is getting up there in years. UCLA has a big guy named Kenny Clark who would fit the bill. He hasn't even turned 20 yet so there's a lot of long-term potential.

Even if we keep Jones and Sanu (which I doubt) I still want a receiver before Friday is over with.  After the Big 3 our WRs are not very good, at least on the outside (I am surely not giving up hope that Alford can develop into a Baby Hawk kind of slot guy).

As for DT, I think Sims and Thompson are good enough that I don't think we need one early, but won't object to taking one if BPA.

Same goes for safety.  Between Williams and Smith, assuming they are able to retain Iloka (I have a little less hope for Nelson given his age and other guys they need to keep), I don't think safety is an early need, but BPA can't be ignored.

To me, the only "needs" I see right now are LB and another WR for depth.  Everything else will depend on free agency.

• 3 weeks later...

Even if we keep Jones and Sanu (which I doubt) I still want a receiver before Friday is over with.  After the Big 3 our WRs are not very good, at least on the outside (I am surely not giving up hope that Alford can develop into a Baby Hawk kind of slot guy).

As for DT, I think Sims and Thompson are good enough that I don't think we need one early, but won't object to taking one if BPA.

Same goes for safety.  Between Williams and Smith, assuming they are able to retain Iloka (I have a little less hope for Nelson given his age and other guys they need to keep), I don't think safety is an early need, but BPA can't be ignored.

To me, the only "needs" I see right now are LB and another WR for depth.  Everything else will depend on free agency.

Agree on the WRs, though I would probably prefer to hit it twice in the mid-rounds than use an early pick as long as we keep Marvin Jones. I was hoping they'd do this in 2015 too, but they waited until the 7th and now it becomes an even bigger priority for 2016. I'd keep Jones and then draft both a slot and an outside guy at some point in the 3rd-5th rounds.

At DT, Sims and Thompson are both free agents. I see both as "just a guy" types anyway even if they do come back on one year near-minimum type deals. Fine as backups, but you don't really want either starting. I feel similarly about Peko at this point in his career. I'd love to see them put together a killer D Line and the only missing piece is a second stud defensive tackle to start next to Geno. If there's one there in the first, that's where I'd like to see them go at this point. 

Not sure whether LB is a need or not without knowing what's up with Burfict. If he plays well over the second half, I think they're mostly okay and just need to add some mid-late round depth. If Burfict's knee is shot, then LB shoots to the top of the need list. 

Archived