Army Vet Saves Dog, gets arrested for breaking the car window

Go Skins

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29041608/army-vet-saves-dog-gets-arrested

(WAGA) - An Army Veteran was arrested after he admitted he broke into a car to save a dog.

Michael Hammons said when he heard a dog was in distress, he jumped into action. The tiny, Pomeranian-mix was left inside a hot car, with no water, in an Athens shopping center.

Hammons said he grabbed the foot rest of his wife's wheelchair and smashed the windows of the car to get the dog out.

When the dog's owner came out of the store, Hammons said she was irate. "She said you broke my window, and I said I did. She says why would you do that? I said to save your dog." said Hammons.

Oconee County authorities said the owner of the car insisted on pressing charges against Hammons. Chief Deputy Lee Weems, said he understands why Hammons did what he did.

"We didn't want to charge him, but he told us he broke the windows and when you have a victim there saying she wants him charged, we had no other choice," said Chief Weems.

PTSD, plus wife saying he has a "must be a hero" complex, makes me suspicious of if the dog wwas truly in distress from being locked inside of the car. No mention of the temperature that day in the article further builds the questionable nature of this "rescue."

looking at the weather forcast for there, we are looking at max temp of 83 degrees out...so if it were morning or evening it would have been cooler..

unlikely the dog was in danger unless it was in the car for over an hour.... and even then...probably not much

I know it will make people mad and question my morals but people who leave their animals in the car or their baby's, deserve to have their window broken. Just remember to document the time of first noticing the animal or child, temperature, witnesses, etc... CYA

...and yes, I've broken windows before and will do so again.

I know it will make people mad and question my morals but people who leave their animals in the car or their baby's, deserve to have their window broken. Just remember to document the time of first noticing the animal or child, temperature, witnesses, etc... CYA

...and yes, I've broken windows before and will do so again.

in hot weather, no doubt, and kids either way, no doubt.. but a dog sitting in a 70 degree car... a non issue...

Archived