Help for friends

Jason

My wife and I recently befriended an older couple in our neighborhood. He is in his early 60s and is a disabled marine vet. She is a little younger 50-something. She recently lost her job and because of his disability he is rather limited and is getting vet benefits.

Well the house they live in was passed down from his sister when she died. Apparently there was a lien on the home in her name for $20k. They have a little less than 60 days to come up with that money or they lose their home. They barely bring in enough money to get by month to month and we usually help them at least with dog food, and probably more until she finds a new job or her unemployment benefits start coming in.

Does anyone know of any government programs, veteran benefits, or anything else, that can help them get $20k in a short amount of time?

Yeah, wish I had an answer for you Jason, but thankfully I don't know too much about resolving such situations.  That's a hefty sum to come up with in a relatively short amount of time.  I was going to suggest setting up a PayPal (or whatever) thing for GB members to help, but no way you'd raise anywhere near that amount in that short of a time IMHO.  Sadly there are many in those kind of situations or even worse it seems.

Hopefully somebody replies with some useful information as you requested, specifically the vet benefits angle seems intriguing as a potential.

I do really applaud you guys for your concern and efforts to help even more than you're already doing.  You're good people for sure.

My wife and I recently befriended an older couple in our neighborhood. He is in his early 60s and is a disabled marine vet. She is a little younger 50-something. She recently lost her job and because of his disability he is rather limited and is getting vet benefits.

Well the house they live in was passed down from his sister when she died. Apparently there was a lien on the home in her name for $20k. They have a little less than 60 days to come up with that money or they lose their home. They barely bring in enough money to get by month to month and we usually help them at least with dog food, and probably more until she finds a new job or her unemployment benefits start coming in.

Does anyone know of any government programs, veteran benefits, or anything else, that can help them get $20k in a short amount of time?

NMCRS Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. I've seen alot of the great things they have done.

That's definitely a bad spot to be in.  Maybe they can get a grant of some kind.  Here's a couple

of links they or you could look in to.  I think they offer more than just educational grants.

http://www.ability-mission.org/grants-disabled-veterans.html

http://www.educationmoney.com/veterans.html

Might try to contact this organization.

This one is located right there in North Carolina.  That's where you're at right?

http://mflcf.org/?gclid=CIWYiNTCxMUCFZGDaQodfJQA7A

Do you know more of the specifics of this lien and the deed?

Was this a Transfer on Death statement, a WILL?

Usually the lien just gets transferred with the deed in these cases. I am not a lawyer but I have some experience with this. Without knowing more about the situation it's hard to help, but there may be a legal recourse. First thing I would do is make sure that whoever is trying to kick them out actually has right to do so.

Archived