Police the Police

oldschooler

So the fact that he didn't actually have a gun and nobody was in any danger, yet he was still summarily executed on the spot, to you is a question of "semantics"?

The important thing you seem to either be missing or avoiding here is that, if someone kills a cop, they are probably spending the rest of their life in jail (and rightly so) or at best as a hunted fugitive.   What happens if a cop shoots an innocent person? Paid administrative leave?

I honestly feel like your not really engaged in this conversation.

First the point about the cops is there because you act like cops are supposed to skip up to crime scenes and ask who the criminals are.

Second the point is that he was aiming a gun and that alerted the police.

I can't say any more they shouldn't have shot him. I've said that enough.

That is to say i doubt many of them are killing because they have a badge however i do think that for some having a badge gives them some air of thinking they can do things they probably shouldnt by all standards any good cop wouldn't do simply because they are the law so to speak. Some maybe from letting the frustration of the job get to them, some simply because they are sociopaths that slipped through the cracks

That is to say i doubt many of them are killing because they have a badge however i do think that for some having a badge gives them some air of thinking they can do things they probably shouldnt by all standards any good cop wouldn't do simply because they are the law so to speak. Some maybe from letting the frustration of the job get to them, some simply because they are sociopaths that slipped through the cracks

I can agree here. But the image some are painting is that these people are hunting black people. In every case there was a call. Did they go above and beyond. Of course in many situations. They are not executing people though.

I can agree here. But the image some are painting is that these people are hunting black people. In every case there was a call. Did they go above and beyond. Of course in many situations. They are not executing would though.

Can't really disagree with this.

On August 11, 2014, Dillon Taylor walked out of a local Salt Lake City, Utah, convenience store minding his own business. He wasn't armed. He wasn't committing a crime. He was listening to music on his headphones, probably in his own world.

Just two days after Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed an unarmed Mike Brown in Ferguson, Taylor would soon face a similar fate at the hands of a local officer. And on October 1, the district attorney in Salt Lake City, Sim Gill, ruled that the killing of 20-year-old Taylor was justified. Even in his determination, though, he stated that "Taylor's shooting was justified not because he posed an actual threat, but because (Officer) Cruz reasonably perceived a threat."

Now that the full video has been released, it's disturbingly clear that nothing about this police shooting was justified. Nothing at all.

At 0:17, Officer Bron Cruz gets out of his vehicle. You will notice people confused by his presence.

At 0:22, Officer Cruz walks past two men who were friends with Dillon Taylor.

At 0:24, Officer Cruz walks behind Taylor, who has on a white T-shirt and is listening to music.

At 0:33, we see the officer has his gun drawn and is yelling at Taylor, who's holding his sagging pants up and does not appear to hear Cruz.

At 0:36, the officer shoots Taylor. It would be fatal.

Starting at 0:41, you will notice the headphone cord coming out of Taylor's pocket.

At 0:48, you will see that the headphones were clearly going up to Taylor's ears.

At 0:52, the officer asks Dillon to "give me your hands," but Taylor is already near death. His friends begin screaming and crying in the background.

At 1:03, the officer handcuffs Taylor.

At 1:48, the officer turns Taylor over, the headphones are visible, and the officer states "it's clear"—meaning that Taylor was actually unarmed.

At 2:54, the officer turns Taylor completely over, keeping him handcuffed, and begins talking to him and trying to get him to talk. Taylor appears nearly dead and is completely covered in blood.

At 4:56, the officer is rummaging through Taylor's pockets instead of providing any first aid.

View the video below.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/03/1390285/-Shocking-new-video-shows-unarmed-Utah-man-was-listening-to-headphones-when-killed-by-police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=01ZwvYqMRhQ

so uhm... http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mckinney-texas-officer-leave-after-wild-pool-party-video-surfaces-n371281

What did he do wrong there specifically? Was he not allowed to tell the people to get on the ground. Was he not allowed to draw his gun and then put it back after a guy was aggressively coming up behind him that he couldn't see? What did the girl do to get wrestled to the ground?

We know nothing. It's just a video with no context and you have already written the narrative.

Same with the one above it. The guy turned around and looked like he was going for something in his belt. It's a terrible thing.

What did he do wrong there specifically? Was he not allowed to tell the people to get on the ground. Was he not allowed to draw his gun and then put it back after a guy was aggressively coming up behind him that he couldn't see? What did the girl do to get wrestled to the ground?

We know nothing. It's just a video with no context and you have already written the narrative.

Same with the one above it. The guy turned around and looked like he was going for something in his belt. It's a terrible thing.

QFT

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/07/us/mckinney-texas-pool-video-police/

From the article...

CNN law enforcement analyst and former FBI assistant director Tom Fuentes watched the YouTube video and harshly criticized the officer who wrestled the girl.

The officer appeared to be "running around escalating" a situation that should have quickly calmed, he said.

Fuentes said there appeared to be "no justification" for the way the juveniles, particularly the girl, were treated.

The fact that she was wearing a bikini indicated that she was "clearly not armed," he said.

The officer appeared to be "running around almost like a one-man band," he said, and other officers appeared to distance themselves from him. "The other officers that are there don't really come right to him to give him a hand. I'm wondering what's going through their minds, 'Get me away from this guy. He's out of control.'

"He's out of control. He clearly has no self-discipline. He lost control of his temper. Nothing good can happen at that point. Thankfully he didn't shoot somebody."

There were 12 officers who responded but he didn't know how many were on scene at the time the video was shot, Conley said Sunday. The chief could also not answer how long the officer had been employed by the department.

A reporter asked if the officer has any prior complaints against him, the chief answered that he did not "have any data" on the officer.

Another reporter asked whether the actions of the officer on leave were consistent with training on how to disperse a crowd.

"It's something we're going to have to look into," he answered.

What was the purpose of telling kids in bathing suits to get to the ground? Until he ran up on them in that manner did they pose any threat? Was it necessary for him to draw his gun?

Archived