Police the Police

oldschooler

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/watch-body-cam-video-released-in-sam-dubose-shooting

Warning: I wouldn't say graphic per se, but the guy does die so if you don't want to see a murder don't watch.

Curious on some of your thoughts.

1. The guy didn't deserve to die.
2. The cop should definitely be punished.
3. This should never have happened over a frickin license plate.

With all that being said, instead of protesting, we as a people should be teaching the public that when you get pulled over, do what the cop says no matter what. Even if you feel you did nothing wrong. Why put yourself in this position? If Sam had just listened to the cop he would still be alive.

As I said he didn't deserve to die and the cop should be punished, but 99.9% of the time the guy getting pulled over here would have survived had he not started the car and attempted to drive away from a cop.

We should also be teaching police how to better handle these situations and that guns should be last resort not first.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this post, but just my opinion.

Sorry but I think you dead wrong. Yes, dude did something dumb, but running from the cops should not earn you a death sentence. This guy needs to go down for murder, not "lets have how to get arrested seminars for ghetto kids".. People, and young people especially will always do dumb shit. Our police need to be trained to not react this way, and if they do we get rid of them/throw them in jail.

I ran from a cop once when I was 17 stealing socks from a walmart on a dare (I got away too).. I guess I could be dead if we follow this logic.

Ilucid, Kenny and gator...

I said at least two or three times that he didn't deserve to die. That the cop is completely in the wrong and deserves to be punished. I'm not attempting to defend the cop at all.

But I don't think you can say the guy didn't do anything wrong. If he truly didn't do anything wrong he would still be alive at the end of the day. Doesn't mean he deserved to die, it's just the truth.

Take any of the four of us, which is a mix of races, age, etc and none of us would have ended up dead here. That's my only point.

I've been cuffed once, and the cop was aggressive shoving me up against a wall even though I felt I didn't do anything wrong and wasn't resisting. I could have tried to run, or resist, or something and had I done that something easily could have gone bad. Instead I took it and it didn't end up being a big deal. And I know I'm not black so I probably wasn't profiled or anything, but at the end of the day don't try to drive away from a cop when he's talking to you.

As I said, cop should go to jail for a long time. guy didn't deserve to die at all.

Sorry but I think you dead wrong. Yes, dude did something dumb, but running from the cops should not earn you a death sentence. This guy needs to go down for murder, not "lets have how to get arrested seminars for ghetto kids".. People, and young people especially will always do dumb shit. Our police need to be trained to not react this way, and if they do we get rid of them/throw them in jail.

All day this

Right.. 

But it's a lot like pointing out after a woman is raped that she we should educate our daughters about not dressing too sexy, drinking, and going dangerous places at night alone. 

Stupid behavior does not absolve morally reprehensible outcomes. And to bring it up at this time is in the least poor taste... 

Right.. 

But it's a lot like pointing out after a woman is raped that she we should educate our daughters about not dressing too sexy, drinking, and going dangerous places at night alone. 

Stupid behavior does not absolve morally reprehensible outcomes. And to bring it up at this time is in the least poor taste... 

I don't know, I guess I'm just different. I 100 percent would do exactly what you said with my daughter if I have one. Not that it would ever ever ever excuse a rape just like SAMs behaviors doesn't excuse a murder, but it's important to be smart about things. If I have a daughter id def tell her to be careful about going to dangerous places dressed provactively.

I think my post is being misconstrued. I'm not blaming Sam. Just saying if any of you are ever in this position I hope you are smart enough to just shut your mouth and do what the guy with the gun says. Afterwards if you want to file a complaint or something fine. But don't put you're led in a position where an idiot is going to do something to harm you. And if I knew any cops I'd tell them don't be an idiot and shoot at someone for something minor only use your weapon in worst case scenarios.

I feel like you guys think I'm saying its sams fault and the cop didn't do anything wrong, which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm with you guys almost the whole way here.

Right.. 

And when did I ever say it absolves the cops behavior? I said the cop should go to jail for a long time.

Right.. 

It's like when people say "I'm not [blank], but....". You're saying he didn't deserve to die, but then shifting some of the blame to the victim. That may not be your intent, but listing out the things the victim did wrong does that. It's taking away from the main point. This is 100% on the cop, nothing Sam did called for a gun being pulled. Pull him out of the car and arrest him? I guess... but shooting him?

People have been filing complaints forever, does nothing. This cops partner backed up story like they always do. He probably deserves penalty as well.

It's like when people say "I'm not [blank], but....". You're saying he didn't deserve to die, but then shifting some of the blame to the victim. That may not be your intent, but listing out the things the victim did wrong does that. It's taking away from the main point. This is 100% on the cop, nothing Sam did called for a gun being pulled. Pull him out of the car and arrest him? I guess... but shooting him?

People have been filing complaints forever, does nothing. This cops partner backed up story like they always do. He probably deserves penalty as well.

Alright I'll probably drop it because as you said my intent is being taken out of context.

The partner should definitely get a punishment as well.

Alright I'll probably drop it because as you said my intent is being taken out of context.

The partner should definitely get a punishment as well.

I know exactly what you're trying to say and certainly am not thinking negative about you, it's just kind of not the time/place to say it. My thought is you tell family and friends to just comply because you don't want anything bad happening to them. But when looking at the issue as a whole, that's just treating some symptoms instead of finding the cure. As a society, the answer can't be to just comply with anything even if that would be my recommendation to individuals in the short term.

I know exactly what you're trying to say and certainly am not thinking negative about you, it's just kind of not the time/place to say it. My thought is you tell family and friends to just comply because you don't want anything bad happening to them. But when looking at the issue as a whole, that's just treating some symptoms instead of finding the cure. As a society, the answer can't be to just comply with anything even if that would be my recommendation to individuals in the short term.

I agree. There needs to be something done to try and prevent these from happening as often as they are, and that probably starts from the management and training of cops. Probably lots of other things to do but I'm not the person that would know what those things are.

I guess I was just looking at it from a micro level instead of a macro level. At the end of the day you are right that people are going to make stupid decisions and there needs to be things done that prevent those stupid decisions from turning into deaths or murders.

After thinking it over further, using lucids analogy if my daughter was raped in that scenario I wouldn't appreciate it if people were making comments that her dressing provactively led to it even if it wasn't her fault. So I apologize to anyone I may have Offended although I think most of you know I didn't mean it that way.

I still think people should be having these conversations with their families and friends to try to prevent this from ever happening to you, but you guys are right that the focus of this should be the gross wrongdoing and murder by the cop.

Problem is, if you're black, especially a black male, there are a shitload of cops pushing them in hopes of getting a reaction so they can "justify" shooting them. The cops are supposed to be held accountable to a higher standard, but a black person HAS to seemingly kiss a cop's ass just to hopefully not get shot.

Most of the time the cop's get away with it.

Fucking ridiculous...

After thinking it over further, using lucids analogy if my daughter was raped in that scenario I wouldn't appreciate it if people were making comments that her dressing provactively led to it even if it wasn't her fault. So I apologize to anyone I may have Offended although I think most of you know I didn't mean it that way.

I still think people should be having these conversations with their families and friends to try to prevent this from ever happening to you, but you guys are right that the focus of this should be the gross wrongdoing and murder by the cop.

JB, I will tell you that I do understand where you are coming from, and I don't or at least hope you didn't offend anyone.  As a parent of three young black males, you can bet your bottom dollar that I have had that "Talk" with all of mine, and on multiple occasions.  The problem is that I shouldn't have to.  No man should have the ability to take someone else's life, for some of the trivial shit that has resulted in some of these deaths.  Loose Cigarettes?  No Front Plate?  Stealing some cigars? Not signaling a lane change?  Running from the cops?  It just shouldn't happen.

It's totally cool man. I know where you are coming from. I had just watched that damn video and was a little emotional..  I mean I meant what I said, but I know what you didn't mean. If that makes any damn sense.. lol

JB, I will tell you that I do understand where you are coming from, and I don't or at least hope you didn't offend anyone.  As a parent of three young black males, you can bet your bottom dollar that I have had that "Talk" with all of mine, and on multiple occasions.  The problem is that I shouldn't have to.  No man should have the ability to take someone else's life, for some of the trivial shit that has resulted in some of these deaths.  Loose Cigarettes?  No Front Plate?  Stealing some cigars? Not signaling a lane change?  Running from the cops?  It just shouldn't happen.

Yeah this was my whole point and glad you guys understand! Sometimes we can all agree after talking things out for a few posts! 

Just sad that this shit happens. Hope we as a country can find ways to get this issue under control.

Another thing. This scum bag lied about what happened (tried to run him over, then was being drug by the car), and his partner backed him up ..

KNOWING THEY HAD A BODY CAM

Think about that for a second. I think it speaks loudly of a culture... 

25 year old with no real training,   what he did was inexcusable but the system has to take some of the blame

I am appalled what happened and feel so bad for the family but when I saw a picture of the kid and I thought is he really the monster that we think he is?  Two tragedies,  two lives ruined

25 year old with no real training,   what he did was inexcusable but the system has to take some of the blame

I am appalled what happened and feel so bad for the family but when I saw a picture of the kid and I thought is he really the monster that we think he is?  Two tragedies,  two lives ruined

I guess but one life is ruined,the other life is DEAD. See the difference ?

Another thing. This scum bag lied about what happened (tried to run him over, then was being drug by the car), and his partner backed him up ..

KNOWING THEY HAD A BODY CAM

Think about that for a second. I think it speaks loudly of a culture... 

I read where they tried to falsify things? Wonder if they were trying to mess with the body cam footage?

If it wasn't for the body cam this would have been another "justified killing of an unarmed black man."

Thank God for the body cam because we see that instead of that we have a murderer who tried

to justify it with "I feared for my life". Rot in jail you piece of shit. 

I think I read it was an agreement they had with the city

Obviously a bad idea. When I was at UC, CPD had issues with UCPD even turning on emergency flashers when on city roadways. They need to be protecting students, faculty, visitors and Univ property. Not attempting to be "city" cops. This will cost UC a bundle as CPD washes their hands of connection to this murder.

I read where they tried to falsify things? Wonder if they were trying to mess with the body cam footage?

They made statements/reports (pre video release) that they saw him being dragged. Video showed car went forward after the head shot with the drivers hands up.
Prosecuter took heat for not releasing video earlier. Interviewing the officers BEFORE releasing the video in hindsight was brilliant on his part.

Archived