Police the Police

oldschooler

What are police suppossed to do when they pull someone over and they don't comply?

Not be assholes.

There was no need to ask her to put out her cigarette. And when she said no. 

There was no need to get pissed about it. She was breaking no law while smoking

in her car. He is supposed to be trained to de-escalate situations. Not cause them to escalate.

white boys will be white boys

Immediately, the driver exhibited aggression towards the officers and began making statements consistent with "sovereign citizen" type beliefs. Rather than comply with deputies, the driver reached for a gun. Fearing their safety and the safety of the public, deputies were forced to make entry into the vehicle by breaking the driver side window and then physically remove the driver from the vehicle. As the driver was being removed from the vehicle, he attempted to reach for another gun, this one located in a holster at the small of his back. Deputies were able to get the suspect under control and disarm him.

Not be assholes.

There was no need to ask her to put out her cigarette. And when she said no. 

There was no need to get pissed about it. She was breaking no law while smoking

in her car. He is supposed to be trained to de-escalate situations. Not cause them to escalate.

I dont know why that so difficult

Saw this posted elsewhere, just going to leave it here... 

Primer for those who still don't understand in the wake of the arrest of, incarceration of, and likely murder of Sandra Bland in TX:

1. Asking a cop why they are stopping you/ticketing you is your right. They do not have the right to arrest you for asking, beat you for asking or in any way mistreat you for asking that question.

2. You have the right to say whatever you wish to a cop in response to being stopped. ANYTHING at all, so long as it does not constitute a threat of harm. You can cuss a cop, yell at a cop, and call a cop a fascist pig or a racist if you like. I do not recommend it, you shouldn't do it (because sadly cops don't care about the Constitution in far too many cases, and thus, might beat or kill you), and it's not very nice I suppose (even when deserved), but it is NOT illegal to do so.

3. Refusing to put out a cigarette when asked by a cop is not a criminal offense either. The cop has no lawful right to arrest you for smoking or "disobeying" an order to stop smoking. Only if you are already being arrested for an actual crime and putting out the cigarette is necessary to affect the arrest, can such a request be considered lawful and can failure to do so constitute "resisting arrest." But refusing to put the cigarette out, in and of itself, does not constitute a crime.

4. If you do any of the above, the cop still does not have the right to beat you or arrest you. And if you end up beaten or killed, it is not your fault. It is entirely and only the cop's fault. They should be arrested, tried, convicted and jailed. Your "arrogance" or "attitude" is not grounds for brutality, ever.

5. None of the above is made any less true by the fact that "cops have a hard job and put their lives on the line." That is entirely irrelevant and has no bearing on the rights of the people or the limitations on police power.

6. Any cop who disagrees with the previous points is not qualified to be a cop and should be summarily dismissed from their jobs. Any cop who can't handle being challenged as to their authority, or who in any way disregards the rights of the people is not qualified to be a cop and should be summarily dismissed from their jobs.

7. Anyone at all who disagrees with these previous points has contempt for the Constitution and would clearly be more comfortable in a police state. Yet these are the same people who think "government regulation" of industry is tyranny, or that the IRS is equivalent to the Nazi SS or that Obamacare is totalitarianism. So they don't mind actual authoritarian actions (so long as they are worked out mostly on the bodies of black folks and/or the poor), but God forbid government try and ensure health care, or collect taxes from the rich or try and limit pollution. THEN they scream about big brother and how awful the state is...

How is a cop supposed to differentiate between someone who is dangerous and being disrespectful and someone who is not dangerous and being disrespectful? 

What if they let  disrespectful person go when they show signs of being not in an ideal state and they end up killing someone?

It seems pretty clear to me that in order for the police role to actually functionally work they have to be able to subdue someone acting out of the ordinary and then ask questions. They don't have to kill them obviously. No one is arguing they have that right. But they have to have the ability to neutralize a heightened situation and then determine what happened. 

No matter if the person is blue, purple, green etc. Disrespect for police heightened every situation we have discussed. 

How is a cop supposed to differentiate between someone who is dangerous and being disrespectful and someone who is not dangerous and being disrespectful? 

Clearly the best course is to shoot them and then determine if they are a threat once the officer is safe.   Only way to be sure.

Question though, if you're not too busy starching your closetful of brown shirts:

Is "A Cop Thought You Were Disrespectful" a Class 2 or Class 3 Felony? Also, is it still ok to shoot someone for it if your state doesn't have a death penalty, or can you only beat them off-camera and hope they die from their injuries?

Sorry, not a lawyer.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.  You're making this way too complicated.  There is a very easy way to determine the best course of action.  Just look at the color of their skin and go from there.

Also, this is not my Batman glass.

Clearly the best course is to shoot them and then determine if they are a threat once the officer is safe.   Only way to be sure.

Question though, if you're not too busy starching your closetful of brown shirts:

Is "A Cop Thought You Were Disrespectful" a Class 2 or Class 3 Felony? Also, is it still ok to shoot someone for it if your state doesn't have a death penalty, or can you only beat them off-camera and hope they die from their injuries?

Sorry, not a lawyer.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.  You're making this way too complicated.  There is a very easy way to determine the best course of action.  Just look at the color of their skin and go from there.

Well you know statistically speaking interracial crimes are more prevalent among the two largest racial groups in the country so the best way to address that is by treating one of them like criminals.

[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/lodge308/media/RebeliousScale_zpswqntajmu.jpg.html]RebeliousScale_zpswqntajmu.jpg[/URL]

I think it's amazing that no one has a real answer to that question. Just taking things to some absurd conclusion and acting as if asking the question is ignoring the fact that someone died and or giving some sort of justification that someone is dead. 

A cop has an almost impossible job. You make a cops job of determining who is and who is not dangerous very difficult by acting belligerent and not complying with a simple request. Clearly that does not give him or her the right to hurt you. 

But I will ask again. What is a cop supposed to do when someone is not complying and acting suspiciously aggressive? 

I think it's amazing that no one has a real answer to that question. Just taking things to some absurd conclusion and acting as if asking the question is ignoring the fact that someone died and or giving some sort of justification that someone is dead. 

A cop has an almost impossible job. You make a cops job of determining who is and who is not dangerous very difficult by acting belligerent and not complying with a simple request. Clearly that does not give him or her the right to hurt you. 

But I will ask again. What is a cop supposed to do when someone is not complying and acting suspiciously aggressive? 

You act like refusing to put out a cigarette while in your own vehicle is a crime. Furthermore there is a question as to why she was pulled over in the first place. Police are there to keep us safe and deescalate problems, not to be some hot head that makes situations worse that ends up with someone dead. Why don't you get that?

You act like refusing to put out a cigarette while in your own vehicle is a crime. Furthermore there is a question as to why she was pulled over in the first place. Police are there to keep us safe and deescalate problems, not to be some hot head that makes situations worse that ends up with someone dead. Why don't you get that?

What is the policeman supposed to do when the person in the car escalates the situation?  Why can't anyone answer that? What was he supposed to do? Just listen to her say I don't have to listen to you? Her behavior seemed pretty suspicious to me. 

Refusing to put out a cigarette may or may not be a crime. It's a potential weapon. I am not clear on that. She was pulled over because she committed a traffic violation. 

The police officer walked up and she was combative immediately which surely raises his radar that he might have to be concerned about this person. Could be green, blue, white doesn't matter the race. If you are immediately combative that better raise a red flag with a policeman. 

being disrespectful is not against the law, nor is it give carte blanche right for cops to behave in any manner of their choosing, she wasnt being belergiant she just didnt want to put out her cigeratte...her smoking wasnt against the law, it was simply an inconvenience for the officer, but it shouldnt give him the right to drag her out of her car.

What is the policeman supposed to do when the person in the car escalates the situation?  Why can't anyone answer that? What was he supposed to do? Just listen to her say I don't have to listen to you? Her behavior seemed pretty suspicious to me. 

Refusing to put out a cigarette may or may not be a crime. It's a potential weapon. I am not clear on that. She was pulled over because she committed a traffic violation. 

The police officer walked up and she was combative immediately which surely raises his radar that he might have to be concerned about this person. Could be green, blue, white doesn't matter the race. If you are immediately combative that better raise a red flag with a policeman. 

The cigarette is a possible weapon.. Now I know you are simply full of shit and not worth having a conversation with..

Haeil!

She changed lanes to make room for the officer who was speeding up behind her. She was trying to be considerate and forgot to use her TS.. BFD. Obviously a menace to society with her cancer causing weapon of mass destruction..

Give me a fucking break

The reason you make me angry is because it's people and attitudes like yours that led to Nazi Germany.. NO NINJA

Weston, you need to get a grip on reality. A cigarette a weapon? I truly can't believe you actually typed that. Being "disrespectful" isn't cause for a heightened state of alertness either. Cop's jobs are not easy, but even the staunchest supporter of police cannot justify this assholes actions. You need to get out in the real world and experience interactions with the police. The ones doing their job correctly do not have this kind of incidents happen to them. I have numerous police friends and relatives, and they ALL agree that this asshole was COMPLETELY in the wrong.

Weston, you need to get a grip on reality. A cigarette a weapon? I truly can't believe you actually typed that. Being "disrespectful" isn't cause for a heightened state of alertness either. Cop's jobs are not easy, but even the staunchest supporter of police cannot justify this assholes actions. You need to get out in the real world and experience interactions with the police. The ones doing their job correctly do not have this kind of incidents happen to them. I have numerous police friends and relatives, and they ALL agree that this asshole was COMPLETELY in the wrong.

I have 2, a family member and a family friend.  I think it's hilarious Weston wants to try and "educate" me on what their jobs are like, or why it's ok for this cop to go ape shit because he was "disrespected" or because she refused to put out a cigarette.

While he is blindly supporting the assholes just because they have a badge, I would like for them to get called out, and weeded out so that the public perception pf police can start to heal, which will make things a hell of a lot safer for the GOOD GUYS WITH BADGES out there trying to do the good work like my uncle.

being disrespectful is not against the law, nor is it give carte blanche right for cops to behave in any manner of their choosing, she wasnt being belergiant she just didnt want to put out her cigeratte...her smoking wasnt against the law, it was simply an inconvenience for the officer, but it shouldnt give him the right to drag her out of her car.

I am on board with all of this. My question remains what is a police officer supposed to do when they pull over someone and they are acting suspiciously and not complying with what he asks them to do?

I have seen reports that case law would say otherwise. 

Being disrespectful better equal a heightened state of alertness for the police, I want them to survive. 

I have done several ride-alongs and have some great cop friends. Great people all around and I know at times they can't follow everything by the book for good reason. It keeps me safe and the bad guys in check. 

My question remains. What was he supposed to do when she wouldn't get out of the car?

Archived