Police the Police

oldschooler

I have 2, a family member and a family friend.  I think it's hilarious Weston wants to try and "educate" me on what their jobs are like, or why it's ok for this cop to go ape shit because he was "disrespected" or because she refused to put out a cigarette.

While he is blindly supporting the assholes just because they have a badge, I would like for them to get called out, and weeded out so that the public perception pf police can start to heal, which will make things a hell of a lot safer for the GOOD GUYS WITH BADGES out there trying to do the good work like my uncle.

No one said it was ok for this cop to do that. I asked a question and then you filled in the blanks with some over the top response based on the assumption I was implying something. 

If you think this is positive for the public perception of police you are wrong. People are starting to define police by these guys actions. 

Why can't anyone answer me what they were supposed to do with her when she didn't get out of the car?

I am on board with all of this. My question remains what is a police officer supposed to do when they pull over someone and they are acting suspiciously and not complying with what he asks them to do?

First off, she wasn't acting suspiciously. Secondly, she wasn't non-compliant because he didn't have the right to ask/tell her the things that he did. He was never in any danger of being harmed, and all she was doing was bitching.

He incriminates himself when he told her that he was only going to give her a warning, and then changed his mind because she was bitching. He wasn't allowed to tell her to put out her cigarette, and bitching isn't against the law.

Now, if you're just implying a theoretical traffic stop where the officer actually HAS a reasonable suspicion of wrong doing or is threatened, that's a different story. There are numerous avenues that the officer can pursue to either coerce compliance or they can force compliance.

No one said it was ok for this cop to do that. I asked a question and then you filled in the blanks with some over the top response based on the assumption I was implying something. 

If you think this is positive for the public perception of police you are wrong. People are starting to define police by these guys actions. 

Why can't anyone answer me what they were supposed to do with her when she didn't get out of the car?

No the reason public perception is going to shit is because these guys do this stuff and then nothing comes of it, while people like you dumbassedly defend them for it. If people actually trusted that bad cops would be dealt with this would not be a problem.

You don't fix this problem by sweeping it under the rug.

Because it never should have fucking gotten there in the first place.. Why is it you don't realize this? No one thinks a cop should be restricted from extracting someone from their car if warranted. You are the one being dense here.

I am on board with all of this. My question remains what is a police officer supposed to do when they pull over someone and they are acting suspiciously and not complying with what he asks them to do?

Well he should first ask if what he is asking the person to do is something that is just an inconvenience to him or if it puts him in danger. Only if he is in danger should he respond in any kind of aggressive way, otherwise he should do his job despite the inconvenience, give her the ticket and move on.

Thats exactly why they shouldnt be defended, they should be weeded out and dealt with.

No the reason public perception is going to shit is because these guys do this stuff and then nothing comes of it, while people like you dumbassedly defend them for it. If people actually trusted that bad cops would be dealt with this would not be a problem.

You don't fix this problem by sweeping it under the rug.

I am not defending him. I asked one question. 

Now, if you're just implying a theoretical traffic stop where the officer actually HAS a reasonable suspicion of wrong doing or is threatened, that's a different story. There are numerous avenues that the officer can pursue to either coerce compliance or they can force compliance.

What are those?

Because it never should have fucking gotten there in the first place.. Why is it you don't realize this? No one thinks a cop should be restricted from extracting someone from their car if warranted. You are the one being dense here.

So what can a cop do if he goes up to a window and the person is simply not complying with him?

Well he should first ask if what he is asking the person to do is something that is just an inconvenience to him or if it puts him in danger. Only if he is in danger should he respond in any kind of aggressive way, otherwise he should do his job despite the inconvenience, give her the ticket and move on.

What if he can't assess the danger because the person is clouding the situation with aggression? 

I am not defending him. I asked one question. 

What are those?

So what can a cop do if he goes up to a window and the person is simply not complying with him?

What if he can't assess the danger because the person is clouding the situation with aggression? 

Why do you keep trying to interject hypotheticals when we are talking abut something real, and on tape? None of that stuff you mentioned happened. Quit making straw men..

I have never said I thought what he did was appropriate. I keep asking what was he supposed to do?

Why do you keep trying to interject hypotheticals when we are talking abut something real, and on tape? None of that stuff you mentioned happened. Quit making straw men..

Because I think you are minimizing her role in her arrest. 

I have never said I thought what he did was appropriate. I keep asking what was he supposed to do?

Because I think you are minimizing her role in her arrest. 

Look at the Link I posted.  Are you telling me that he couldn't do anything else?

Look at the Link I posted.  Are you telling me that he couldn't do anything else?

Not at all. I am asking what the protocol is for removing a person from the car who is not complying? I don't know the answer. I would assume it's somewhere between this and that. I think your video proves my point to an extent. Does the cop have no rights in that situation? Doesn't he have to have the ability to at least restrain the person until he completely understands the situation. 

What baffles me most about this case is why she was in jail for 3 days. That seems the most egregious of everything here. Seems like a simple traffic stop and then resisting arrest. I would expect in those cases you are usually booked and processed and then sent on your way. 

Edit: found my answer. That part is just dumb. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/07/sandra_bland_is_the_bail_system_that_kept_her_in_prison_unconstitutional.html

What baffles me most about this case is why she was in jail for 3 days. That seems the most egregious of everything here. Seems like a simple traffic stop and then resisting arrest. I would expect in those cases you are usually booked and processed and then sent on your way. 

Edit: found my answer. That part is just dumb. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/07/sandra_bland_is_the_bail_system_that_kept_her_in_prison_unconstitutional.html

The whole thing is fucking dumb. There was no reason to tell her to put out her cigarette, and no reason to arrest her for refusing to do so.. That's the part you keep glossing over.

The whole thing is fucking dumb. There was no reason to tell her to put out her cigarette, and no reason to arrest her for refusing to do so.. That's the part you keep glossing over.

What is the protocol for removing someone who is being belligerent and is therefore suspicious? Do you have to stand there adn take it like the officer in the video from KW?

What is the protocol for removing someone who is being belligerent and is therefore suspicious? Do you have to stand there adn take it like the officer in the video from KW?

nevermind. complete waste of time. I should know by now, you are hopeless.. utterly

To answer your question, I would've tried to de-escalate the situation and probably called for backup. Her attitude is what pissed him off and he let her attitude piss him off. He's got to have more control of himself than that. I can't believe that he couldn't stop and think is it really worth all of this over a fucking turn signal?

To answer your question, I would've tried to de-escalate the situation and probably called for backup. Her attitude is what pissed him off and he let her attitude piss him off. He's got to have more control of himself than that. I can't believe that he couldn't stop and think is it really worth all of this over a fucking turn signal?

Completely agree. I see all these videos of these guys videoing cops and just being total assholes when they get pulled over and I wonder what can a cop do? I wonder if he starts trying to take control and she doesn't let him what are his options?

Completely agree. I see all these videos of these guys videoing cops and just being total assholes when they get pulled over and I wonder what can a cop do? I wonder if he starts trying to take control and she doesn't let him what are his options?

Depends I think. There's nothing wrong with her bitching at the officer. He's got to have enough sense not to let it get the best of him especially for a routine traffic violation. He clearly abused his authority in this situation. I can't think of any line of work where you won't encounter people who bitch and you just deal with it. He didn't think he had to because he's an officer. I think if he would've remained calm, the situation wouldn't have escalated to the point it did. Did she have any warrants? What's the reason she was put in jail?

Depends I think. There's nothing wrong with her bitching at the officer. He's got to have enough sense not to let it get the best of him especially for a routine traffic violation. He clearly abused his authority in this situation. I can't think of any line of work where you won't encounter people who bitch and you just deal with it. He didn't think he had to because he's an officer. I think if he would've remained calm, the situation wouldn't have escalated to the point it did. Did she have any warrants? What's the reason she was put in jail?

THANK YOU

There's nothing wrong with her bitching at the officer?

Archived