Jon Kitna getting paid $95K by Texas high school, some parents upset

Montana Bengal

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-05-19/jon-kitna-being-paid-95k-coach-high-school-football-texas-teachers-salaries

Jon Kitna getting paid $95K by Texas high school, some parents upset

We all know by now that high school football in Texas is a different animal than elsewhere in the Lower 48.

This is a state that birthed a $60 million football stadium at a suburban Dallas high school, after all — a facility that had to be shut down for major structural repairs shortly after opening.

Beyond multi-million-dollar athletics facilities, the arms race in Texas high school football extends to big-name coaches, too. Waxahachie High landed a big one earlier this year, luring longtime NFL quarterback Jon Kitna away from his alma mater, Tacoma Lincoln High School, in January.

“The dream would be to stay here, the comfortable thing would have been to stay here, the ideal thing would have been to stay here," Kitna told the Tacoma News Tribune when he left. "But where God is leading me, I have to follow, and I’ve always said that.”

Kitna finished his playing career with the Cowboys, who play their home games about 35 miles from Waxahachie, so he was somewhat familiar with the turf. But the paycheck Waxachachie was offering Kitna and four assistant coaches he brought with him from Washington certainly didn't hurt. And it's that money — and the hiring process that led to it — that has some in his new home up in arms.

Kitna will make $95,000 a year for a position initially advertised as paying under $70,000, WFAA reports. Some of his assistants will be paid $70,000, while the maximum salary for Waxahachie teachers with no experience is $44,500. Three of the four assistants have never taught before; one has served as a corrections officer, with no coaching experience.

Beyond that, emails show district superintendent Jeremy Glenn told some of the new coaches to have their wives apply for jobs within the Waxahachie athletic department, and Kitna's father was hired to a newly created position that pays $36,000 annually.

"It's a slap in the face of every other coach, every other teacher and secretary and janitor in this school district," Waxahachie parent Mark Martin told WFAA. "And these men — through no fault of their own, through their negotiating power of Jon Kitna — have negotiated salaries that double, triple the amount of most of the employees of WISD, and it doesn't seem right to me."

In addition to seeing to the "non-negotiables and desires" of his assistant coaches, as Kitna put it in one email to Glenn, he also required the district to change its equipment deal to Nike products.

Glenn declined to be interviewed by WFAA, instead releasing a statement that read: "Waxahachie ISD followed Board Policy and Standard Operating Procedures with the hiring of Jon Kitna and his staff. We are proud to have added a nationally recognized group of coaches to work with our students and serve in our community."

According to Spotrac, Kitna was paid more than $32 million during his NFL career.

lol

well at least it was god who led him to the place with the most money for him, his friends, their wives, his dad, and Nike.

LOL. People who claim to be religious and then have jobs that don't focus on helping people always crack me up. Atleast he is helping someone in some way. Even if he is being paid a comparatively ridiculous amount. 

LOL. People who claim to be religious and then have jobs that don't focus on helping people always crack me up. Atleast he is helping someone in some way. Even if he is being paid a comparatively ridiculous amount. 

jesus wanted his friends wife to have that new escalade limited edition....

"But where God is leading me, I have to follow, and I’ve always said that.”

Awesome that Kitna can say this with a straight face.  It just goes to show you how delusional folks can become.  Say it enough times, and pretty soon it's true.  

I expect John Kitna makes decisions like all of us.  He probably weighs the pros and cons, determines which factors carry the most weight, assesses the likely consequences of the various courses of action he's considering.  Then he makes his decision.  Then a predetermined narrative springs forth from a deep, deep, very brainwashed part of his consciousness, and proclaims, and Ktna fully believes, that god wants him to do this.  

This is a public high school, so we'll see how the parents and community take to it when Kitna starts preaching to the kids, leading the team in prayer etc.  

"But where God is leading me, I have to follow, and I’ve always said that.”

Awesome that Kitna can say this with a straight face.  It just goes to show you how delusional folks can become.  Say it enough times, and pretty soon it's true.  

I expect John Kitna makes decisions like all of us.  He probably weighs the pros and cons, determines which factors carry the most weight, assesses the likely consequences of the various courses of action he's considering.  Then he makes his decision.  Then a predetermined narrative springs forth from a deep, deep, very brainwashed part of his consciousness, and proclaims, and Ktna fully believes, that god wants him to do this.  

This is a public high school, so we'll see how the parents and community take to it when Kitna starts preaching to the kids, leading the team in prayer etc.  

Or losing. 

Or losing. 

Yeah that's the only thing likely to cause a problem.  Played TX HS football myself and unless things have changed drastically (it's been awhile) praying before games, in the locker room, interrupting the prayer for a quick prayer etc etc won't be an issue.

Maybe if it were Austin or even one of the larger cities, but in Waxahachie he'd sooner get in trouble for not praying enough.

Yeah that's the only thing likely to cause a problem.  Played TX HS football myself and unless things have changed drastically (it's been awhile) praying before games, in the locker room, interrupting the prayer for a quick prayer etc etc won't be an issue.

Maybe if it were Austin or even one of the larger cities, but in Waxahachie he'd sooner get in trouble for not praying enough.

Man, you're so right. But it starts way earlier. My 9 year old is playing right now and it's "you boys need to practice harder if you don't want to embarrass yourselves and us coaches on Saturday. Now bow your heads...".    PTL baby!!!111 

"Man, I can't believe we lost the goddamn game! The other team outprayed us at halftime! You've got to pray harder than the other guy to win in this league!"

-Bill Maher

Players and coaches always give thanks to God and Jesus when they win, why don't they blame him when they lose?

"That goddamn Jesus, I had the ball RIGHT THERE...!"

• 2 weeks later...
This reminds me of the torturously long thread years ago when David Pollack (sp) was holding out to be signed. People were attacking him for being a hypocritical christian for being so greedy. Which may be fair. But at the same time, should he take less since he's a christian? Just let them walk all over him?

I dont know that its necessary for you job to be focused on a job that helps people, you can do that in your free time too.

Well.... Kitna is only being paid what it costs to replace him.  The school believes that Kitna and his staff are worth the salary they're paying him.  Sure, it might not be a smooth P.R. move with the parents or the other staff members, but so what if he makes more than the English teacher?  If the school wanted an ex-NFL Probowl QB to teach English, they'd probably have to pay more for that as well.  The school, however, only wants an ex-NFL Probowl QB to head up the football program.....  if there are other ex-NFL Probowl QBs out there willing to do as good a job for less money, they'd probably hire them in a heartbeat.

The issue isn't Kitna, because the deal between he and the school is one voluntarily entered into by both parties.  The deal is between the school and the board, between the board and the parents, and between all of the above and the media.  If the school is happy with the total cost of doing this - not only the salaries being paid but the flak they're taking through other channels - then I don't see a problem.

Besides, it's not really Kitna's money.  It's God's money.  He's the owner, the CEO, Kitna is just managing it for Him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont know that its necessary for you job to be focused on a job that helps people, you can do that in your free time too.

People have rationalizations for a lot of things. There are enough jobs that if you really are trying to live christlike you would do it in service of others. If you are greedy you would do something else. 

Archived