NFL to move extra points to the 15 yard line

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493347/article/nfl-moves-extra-point-to-15yard-line-for-2015-season

Defenses can score on the play too.

I think I like that defenses can score now on these plays.
One question though that I didn't see answered in that article. It says that if you go for 2 and get an offensive penalty you can then change your mind & try the extra point kick. So if you get say a 10yd penalty and you decide then to kick, I would assume you have to kick from the 15yd line and not the 12yd line (2yd line spot +10yds) right?

Buh bye going for two points.
Going 15 yards it a lot more difficult that going from the old mark.

Don't like it.
Takes something out of the game.

Huh? If you go for 2 points the ball is still placed at the 2yd line.

Well at least we'll finally get a new kicker after this year. No way Nugent doesn't fuck up at least 2 of these.

Thanks again for showing how little you really know about football.  It makes all your other whimpering so much funnier.

I think I like that defenses can score now on these plays.
One question though that I didn't see answered in that article. It says that if you go for 2 and get an offensive penalty you can then change your mind & try the extra point kick. So if you get say a 10yd penalty and you decide then to kick, I would assume you have to kick from the 15yd line and not the 12yd line (2yd line spot +10yds) right?

I'd assume the kick would be from the 25 yard line as a team would still be penalized 10 yards. 

I'm curious about a few situations. If a kick is attempted but blocked and recovered behind the line of scrimmage by the offense, they can try to advance it and possibly score 2 points. Same thing with a fake kick or botched snap. What happens if a kick is blocked but goes past the line of scrimmage? The ball is still live for the defense who can try to return it for 2 points. Can the offense advance a ball that falls at the 10 yard line? Seems harsh if they can't but also too easy if they can.

I'd assume the kick would be from the 25 yard line as a team would still be penalized 10 yards. 

I'm curious about a few situations. If a kick is attempted but blocked and recovered behind the line of scrimmage by the offense, they can try to advance it and possibly score 2 points. Same thing with a fake kick or botched snap. What happens if a kick is blocked but goes past the line of scrimmage? The ball is still live for the defense who can try to return it for 2 points. Can the offense advance a ball that falls at the 10 yard line? Seems harsh if they can't but also too easy if they can.

From what I heard yesterday, if the kick is blocked the play is over. Defense can only score on a 2 point attempt. That said I don't know what happens on a botched snap. If the holder or kicker tries to score 2 I assume it is now a live ball.

Agree about needlessly breaking things. No kicker will miss from 15, but the surprise of "one to tie, haha we're running it in for the win, fooled ya" is gone. So we've lost something to gain nothing.

While I agree missing from 15 is rare, they are actually kicking a 32 yard field goal. At this range, the percentage made drops into the low 90's from almost 100%. That equates into 4 to 5 misses per week.

Also, as the weather gets colder, if it is windy or it is raining on a grass field the percentage drops further.

While I agree missing from 15 is rare, they are actually kicking a 32 yard field goal. At this range, the percentage made drops into the low 90's from almost 100%. That equates into 4 to 5 misses per week.

Also, as the weather gets colder, if it is windy or it is raining on a grass field the percentage drops further.

This^^. Marvin actually voted against the proposal because there is no other division like the AFC North with all teams having open stadiums...in what could be nasty winter weather.

Agree about needlessly breaking things. No kicker will miss from 15, but the surprise of "one to tie, haha we're running it in for the win, fooled ya" is gone. So we've lost something to gain nothing.

I'm not sure I've seen an NFL team do that in the last ten years, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

Generally, I'm a purist and I don't like straying away from traditional rules. In this case, though, I'm on board.

The kickers have simply gotten too good. Backing the play up to the 15 makes the extra point mean something again.

I'm not sure I've seen an NFL team do that in the last ten years, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

Rams Redskins in December. Vikes Bears the season before.

(Not being a dick about it, just explaining that it's at least slightly more common than you might imagine)

I want a team to do a fake extra point from the 15. Holder throws pass to extra tackle blocker. Runs for 10 yards and the score.

Of course the result to such an attempt is the coach is either a genius or moron depending on the outcome.  

The one thing I like about the move is their will be a much greater emphasis on trying to block the kick.  From what I was told by a coach, about the only thing the defense was doing now on PATs was watching out for the fake since the kick had simply become automatic.

Regarding the disadvantage to teams playing in cold, open air stadiums, I'll quote this from the article posted in another thread:

...the Bengals are concerned that the shift puts a burden on teams in the North and East divisions while giving teams in the South and West a competitive edge. 

...Simmons wonders about a 33-yard PAT on Dec. 6 into the Dawg Pound, when the Bengals are scheduled to play in Cleveland. As opposed to the 33-yarder the Broncos have to make in San Diego on the same day.

As long as the same two teams are playing in the same stadium on the same day, what difference does it make if they have worse conditions than other teams have elsewhere at the same time?  As long as the Bengals kicker and their opponents' kicker are in the same weather at the same time for the same game, what difference does it make if some kicker in Tampa has beautiful conditions to kick in?

Weather differences have always played a role in field goal attempts and the passing game.  This will be no different, except that it will be less of a factor than it has traditionally been for longer field goal attempts and the passing game.

Regarding the disadvantage to teams playing in cold, open air stadiums, I'll quote this from the article posted in another thread:

As long as the same two teams are playing in the same stadium on the same day, what difference does it make if they have worse conditions than other teams have elsewhere at the same time?  As long as the Bengals kicker and their opponents' kicker are in the same weather at the same time for the same game, what difference does it make if some kicker in Tampa has beautiful conditions to kick in?

Weather differences have always played a role in field goal attempts and the passing game.  This will be no different, except that it will be less of a factor than it has traditionally been for longer field goal attempts and the passing game.

Sure the Browns and Bengals kickers are kicking on the same surface in the same wind. But if PATs in those conditions are 75% makes compared to 95% indoors, it makes it more likely that the game will be decided by a missed extra point. If we need to get the same result as some other team to hold a tiebreaker, it means we might need an extra scoring drive to get a similar result. 

Archived