Copying form one Synology to another Synology.. cant figure out..

bought a second synology, I have a 213j with 2x 3tb drives and bought the new 215j also with 2x3TB drives..

i am wanting to keep my wifes photography stuff and our computer backups on the 213j, and move all movies, music, surveillance, etc to the new one, it is setup, i can log into both via browser at once, obviously you cant drag and drop to one another.... 

read online tried a few options, i dont know what rsync is so that failed, tried to great a share via dowload link and then adding that download link to the downlaods of the new one.. times out and fails..

i zipped and downloaded the music to the macbook then uploaded to the new one.. and unzipping there..but that was a 5-6 hour process for just 120GB of music.. let alone 1.5 TB of videos..

any guidance or ideas greatly appreciated..

rsync is the *NIX version of robocopy (probably the other way around but I digress). You'll want to mount each synology in your finder like a network drive, then use rsync to copy the files from location A to location B. This utility might make things easier:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arrsync/

brilliant.... i used finder, logged into both network drives with admin login, and it let me drag and drop...

if this fails i will be forced to actually learn something as you listed.  but the mounting the drives advice reminded me of this option..

• 3 months later...

Go has his house wired with gigabyte ethernet (bastard :glare: ) so he can stream HD video with no issue. At that point, the R/W speeds of the drives and the CPU on the NAS are going to be bigger bottlenecks that the network. For wireless, if you have an AC router and don't live in a mansion, then you should be able to stream without too much concern. Personally, I use a Powerline Adapter which sends the data over the electrical wiring in your house as I simply got better performance. They work well, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than wiring your house with Cat5e... 

I do have powerline adapters, but I found that they vary greatly in speed depending on where you plug them in. I have 2 AC routers, one as a bridge in another room, and I find they are many times quicker than the powerlines. With that said, I think I get that you're saying that the synology is not the limiting factor, but the network speeds. Thanks for helping out!

Archived