Texas Rising...

Numbers

Texas Rising on History channel. I've been following the series but am somewhat disappointed with the accuracy. I expected more out of the History channel but they sold out for the Hollywood edition of Texas independence. However, some of the stories appear accurate to the true story.

Three out of five stars.

Back in late Februrary, I was having a few drinks on a cold, rainy day at the historic Menger Bar across the street from the Alamo.  With a stellar buzz, I decided to walk across Crockett St. and stroll the grounds.

Drunken Texas history is cool.

Back in late Februrary, I was having a few drinks on a cold, rainy day at the historic Menger Bar across the street from the Alamo.  With a stellar buzz, I decided to walk across Crockett St. and stroll the grounds.
Drunken Texas history is cool.

At least you were still sober enough to remember you actually went to the Alamo. It's when a person becomes so drunk they think they went to the Alamo but wake up in a Zoo screaming Damn you Santa Anna.

One of my best memories of my Dad is from San Antonio -  we all got drunk and he fell in the river.  Really fun town, if I had to pick one in Texas in which to spend a weekend that'd easily be it.  Throw in a day trip to Lockhart... Sheeeeeit.

One of my best memories of my Dad is from San Antonio -  we all got drunk and he fell in the river.  Really fun town, if I had to pick one in Texas in which to spend a weekend that'd easily be it.  Throw in a day trip to Lockhart... Sheeeeeit.

HA! When I was stationed there, and we'd go to the Riverwalk to a bar / club, seems someone would always fall in. I think the cops will fine you for that (so I heard). Riverwalk is awesome.

Speaking of the History channel. Vikings is an amazing show they have. I need to start watching Texas Rising.

If you like Vikings and history type stuff, the Sagas are translated into English. It's a multiple volume set but provides an interesting take on Vikings that is near impossible to catch on film or TV.

At least you were still sober enough to remember you actually went to the Alamo. It's when a person becomes so drunk they think they went to the Alamo but wake up in a Zoo screaming Damn you Santa Anna.

This happens at least once a month to random neighbors, and we're 2.5 hours from San Antonio.  They must be natives.

San Antonio falls into the twice a year visit column.  Fun town.  Plus, more to see than just the Riverwalk and Alamo, although both are really cool.

I'll have to check it out. Library?

Some libraries carry them. Which is a good thing because of library loaning. They're not called Viking Sagas. More specifically, they're called Icelandic Sagas. There's also an online database with the Sagas on it for digital download. Just search for Icelandic Sagas Database. One of the lists for the Sagas can be found on Wikipedia complete with an English summary.

List of Icelanders' sagas;

Bandamanna saga - Bandamanna saga
Bárðar saga Snæfellsáss
Bjarnar saga Hítdlakappa
Droplaugarsona saga
Egils saga Skalla-Grímssonar - Egil's Saga
Eiríks saga rauða - Saga of Erik the Red
Eyrbyggja saga
Færeyinga saga
Finnboga saga ramma
Fljótsdæla saga
Flóamanna saga
Fóstbrðra saga (two versions)
Gísla saga Súrssonar, (two versions) of an outlaw poet. - Gísla saga
Grettis saga
Grnlendinga saga - Greenland saga
Gull-Þóris saga
Gunnars saga Keldugnúpsfífls
Gunnlaugs saga ormstungu
Hallfreðar saga (two versions)
Harðar saga ok Hólmverja
Hávarðar saga Ísfirðings - The saga of Hávarður of Ísafjörður
Heiðarvíga saga
Hrafnkels saga
Hrana saga hrings (post-medieval)
Hænsna-Þóris saga
Kjalnesinga saga
Kormáks saga
Króka-Refs saga
Laurentius Saga
Laxdæla saga
Ljósvetninga saga (three versions)
Njáls saga
Reykdla saga ok Víga-Skútu
Svarfdla saga
Valla-Ljóts saga
Vatnsdla saga
Víga-Glúms saga
Víglundar saga
Vápnfirðinga saga
Þorsteins saga hvíta
Þorsteins saga Síðu-Hallssonar
Þórðar saga hreðu
Ölkofra saga

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagas_of_Icelanders

http://www.sagadb.org/

Some libraries carry them. Which is a good thing because of library loaning. They're not called Viking Sagas. More specifically, they're called Icelandic Sagas. There's also an online database with the Sagas on it for digital download. Just search for Icelandic Sagas Database. One of the lists for the Sagas can be found on Wikipedia complete with an English summary.

List of Icelanders' sagas;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagas_of_Icelanders

http://www.sagadb.org/

Holy crap...that might take my lifetime. I'm horrible at sitting down and reading but I've always tried to get myself to start. I read a ton on the internet, so maybe getting them on here would help me read it.

San Antonio falls into the twice a year visit column.  Fun town.  Plus, more to see than just the Riverwalk and Alamo, although both are really cool.

There used to be a big indoor flea market-type thing not far from the river and an awesome Mexican restaurant nearby with a giant patio with strolling mariachis and all that stuff - something I usually find corny but in that setting it fits.  Also, if you liked the Alamo, there are half a dozen or more old presidios & missions around town (probably more, only saw a few).  Guadalupe River & Canyon Lake are fun for fishing/boating.

Archived