Soil testing in the lab ?

Numbers

Recently purchased, for back taxes owed, a piece of lake front property. Almost 2 acres. Covered in overgrown everything. Looks like people were making dumps on the property and was concerned with potential contamination. Need soil tested to alleviate some anxiety about the property. Anyone ever did this and is it worth the headache to put soil in a lab ?

So far, I've uncovered regular grapes not wild, orange lillys, black oak, white oak, knockout roses pink, blackberry bushes with thorns, etc... Trying to keep all good plants, bushes, and flowers intact for the time being.

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm covered in poison ivy and currently smothered in Calamine lotion, eating oatmeal, and popping vitamins.

If you contact a local college, especially if you are in a high agricultural area, you might be able to get testing done free or at a reduced price. Maybe even suggest you are trying to reclaim the land and improve the soil, and they might even turn it into a class or internship project?

My mother does  a lot of gardening and had soil testing done at her home, which was silly because she has amazing soil and is constantly composting with rabbit and chicken manure. It was under $50, but that was simple garden info, like acidity, percentage of carbon, nitrogen, sulphur, etc...

To remove the bad, I would walk through everything on a sunny, non-windy day with a rubber glove and a small bucket of concntrated roundup/kill all type of poison. I would then dip my fingers in the liquid and "pet" the plant I wanted to eliminate. This is much more controlled than spraying and then the next step would be to use a weed whip with one of the metal head attachments to remove more stubborn weeds and those closer to the plants you want to keep.

If you want trees removed, mark them and advertise on craigslist for free firewood, they cut and haul. Then of course observe them and make sure they only remove the trees you okayed.

Good luck. And congrats on the plot of land!

Thanks.

Never tried petting the plants I was wanting to get rid of. I have a tow behind 18 gallon 12 volt pump sprayer. The nozzle can get pin point or cut a swath a little over a foot wide. My house is surrounded by fencing and it's the only painless way to take care of the fenceline. Other than that I have a push mower string trimmer .155 string that will whack the crap out of anything, even small trees.

One college has already said no and another wanted over 200 dollars. I think I'll keep calling and try try again. I don't want to eat anything out of potentially harmful soil.

Call what I do as more of a sustainable lifestyle and you'll get where my ultimate objectives are. I have chickens, some solar power, rain barrel collection...not complete, re-use of gray water, clean well water...still needs well house, surrounded by abundant wildlife and now have unfettered access to the lake. ...and poison ivy.

It's not apocalyptic preparations but yes, I am ready if one of those hits. For anyone that could fight their way down here is good enough to stay. I'm pretty sure Backer is a sure fit but we also need medical help, agricultural support, and culinary background.

sounds like you should do a tick check.

I'm paranoid about those things. I'll check while I'm there, before I go home, and before I go in the door. My dogs are not allowed down there yet. They like bringing free loaders into the house. Around the house bugs are not bad at all once problem sources went away ( standing water , tall weeds , old barn that was infested, etc... ) and that took a couple years.

Oh, almost forgot, I have pecan, walnut, and apple trees. If you guys can think of anything else you need planted, let me know...

It's not apocalyptic preparations but yes, I am ready if one of those hits. For anyone that could fight their way down here is good enough to stay. I'm pretty sure Backer is a sure fit but we also need medical help, agricultural support, and culinary background.

I'm going to need a 50 cal Barret and a watchtower to guard the perimeter.

Instead of soil testing at some agricultural location you might try a college Environmental Science department for water testing.

If the soil is contaminated it will be leaching into a water system somewhere.  They might be able to tell you how and what to check for.

Thanks.  That's certainly another way to accomplish the same thing.  Will look into this as well.

Archived