Don't believe in the death penalty? (Merged w/ Charleston Church Shooting)

BengalBacker

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/18/us/charleston-south-carolina-shooting/index.html

-- The suspect is in his early 20s, 5'9" in height. "He has on a very distinctive sweatshirt as well as the vehicle, with a very disctintive license plate," the police chief said.

-- Police believe he is still in the Charleston area.

-- "This is an all hands on deck effort with the community as well as law enforcement," Mullen said. "When people go out they should be vigilant, they should be aware of their surroundings. And if they see anything suspicious, they should call law enforcement."

A white man walked into a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, and opened fire during a Bible study class, killing nine people Wednesday evening.

The suspect was still at large early Thursday morning. And the shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest AME church in the South, is being investigated as a hate crime.

"The only reason someone would walk into a church and shoot people that were praying is hate," said Charleston Mayor Joe Riley.

Eight churchgoers died at the scene; a ninth at a hospital, police said. Among them is the church's pastor, the Rev. Clementa Pinckney, according to CNN affiliate WCSC.

Officials wouldn't say how many people were at the Bible study during the shooting. There were survivors, said Charleston Police Chief Greg Mullen, but he didn't elaborate.

eliottm moderator 2 minutes ago

Arrested in Shelby, North Carolina

Law enforcement sources have confirmed what CNN's affiliates reported a few minutes ago: that Dylann Roof was picked up in Shelby, North Carolina. Shelby is more than a three-hour drive and roughly 230 miles north-northwest of Charleston.

Apparently the kid suffers a few deluded racial views--choice of church and comments he made suggest so, anyhow. But let's not hold it against South Carolinians in general. There have been some attempts to deal with the structural racism that pervades the south. Now they even let blacks take part in Civil War reenactments.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFlJ361av4U[/media]

Public execution... show these assholes that hate crimes and mass murder have immediate and harsh consequences. That is one thing the middle east does that I agree with. You don't see many repeat offenders at all.

I believe that SOME assholes who commit these crimes do so for the glory of the crime.  Public executions, long lines of TV reporters jamming into a court room, etc...  serve to justify this in their minds.  Much like some who attempt suicide ( verify this with a psychologist ) and do so thinking that in life their life was not worth much but in suicide it has meaning with the mourners at a funeral, etc....

Trials and executions and prison time cost US some serious dollars.  I'd say something like Running Man where we loosed these guys out in the wild with people paying money to watch and participate.  Kind of like a reality show in other words.  Money's generated would also go supporting those who are considered the victims.

or...

Give the males who commit these crimes a sex change and shove them in an all male prison population.  We won't be spending much money on their support because their life will be terminated shortly after checking in.

or...

spend approximately 50 cents on a decent sized bullet and blow their brains out on pay per view.

or...

get creative people.  These people don't deserve any more of my time, money, or effort to rehabilitate them.

Death penalty isn't a deterrent.  Killing due to anger isn't very Christlike. 

I agree, MW. It's not very Buddhist either. 

And Backer confirms what I know already. People's views on the death penalty have more to do with a sense of vengeance than deterrent. I guess he figured that since these victims were black and the shooter white we would all do a 180. 

SMH  Sorry, Backer my beliefs are not that set in sand as to flow out with the next tide.

A testimony of her faith, there are a few who told him the same or similar, tried to find a condescend version of it there is one on FB but not YouTube yet, this was all I could find.

I post it for making the point that I don't think these church goers are pro death penalty, and they are the victims.

And Backer confirms what I know already. People's views on the death penalty have more to do with a sense of vengeance than deterrent. I guess he figured that since these victims were black and the shooter white we would all do a 180. 

SMH  Sorry, Backer my beliefs are not that set in sand as to flow out with the next tide.

Nah, I didn't expect anyone's opinions to be changed, just trying to make people think.

I'm not pro death penalty because I think it's a deterrent, or even for vengeance really. I just think that some people commit acts so heinous that society should remove them. They have given up their right to live in my opinion. Not all life is so precious that we should preserve it no matter what. Anyone who disagrees, I hope you are also against abortion to be consistent.

Archived