Why Michael Oher Doesn't Like 'The Blind Side,' The Oscar-Nominated Film Based On His Life

Montana Bengal

Why Michael Oher Doesn't Like 'The Blind Side,' The Oscar-Nominated Film Based On His Life

The 2009 “based on a true story” film “The Blind Side” was a massive box office hit, beloved by both critics and the viewing public. The movie raked in $300 million, earned an Oscar nod for best picture, and clinched Sandra Bullock, who starred in the film, an Academy Award and a Golden Globe.

But there’s at least one person out there who’s not a big fan of the movie: Michael Oher, the football player whose life the film is based on.

Oher, who currently plays left tackle for the Carolina Panthers, told ESPN.com'sid Newton this week that the film -- which details his journey from a homeless teen to a first-round NFL draft pick -- has hurt his football career.

“[The movie's] taken away from my football,” he said.

Oher, who after a positive start with the Baltimore Ravens has been struggling to find success on the field, said the film has caused him to endure unfair criticism -- criticism that stems from a world of Hollywood fiction, rather than reality.

“This stuff, calling me a bust, people saying if I can play or not ... that has nothing to do with football. It's something else off the field. That's why I don't like that movie,” he said.

Oher is said to have made these comments in response to questions about a scuffle between him and defensive end Kony Ealy at a Panthers minicamp Wednesday. Oher and Ealy were “throwing punches,” and “ended up rolling on the ground and had to be separated by teammates,” reports NBC Sports.

ESPN’s Newton asked the 29-year-old if the tussle showed that he had something “to prove” after his struggles on the field.

“I’m not trying to prove anything,” Oher responded. "People look at me, and they take things away from me because of a movie. They don't really see the skills and the kind of player I am.”

Oher left the Ravens in 2013 and subsequently signed a four-year, $20 million deal with the Tennessee Titans. He was released during the offseason after suffering a toe injury.

The Panthers signed Oher to a two-year contract in March.

“It’s not surprising to hear the guy who just wanted a safe place to sleep at night as a youth grow up to resent the movie that packaged him as a folk hero capable of football wizardry,” wrote Bleacher Report in response to Oher’s comments. “After all, hype is hype, and trying to live up to your finest moments every day, in front of thousands, sounds like the most tiring job of all.”

No, I did not watch the movie.

But it seems like Oher is using the movie as an excuse of some sort for the fact that he is simply

not all that great.  An OK football PRO football player, but not an elite one with the skids greased 

to the Hall of Fame.

LIke... Michael Sam is never going to be a great or even adequate NFL player, he just happens

to be a gay football player and a rather immature one at that.

Like many other pro football players who will never be elite, the problem is not  fill in the blank 

but they ain't that good and playing in the NFL isn't the same as being a star for Southwest

Weasel Whacker AT&T.

LIke... Michael Sam is never going to be a great or even adequate NFL player, he just happens

to be a gay football player and a rather immature one at that.

IIRC he actually put up pretty good preseasons stats before being cut.   Maybe he was shitty to coach or as a teammate but LOL at calling him immature when the NFL's bar for maturity is set at Manziel puking in a fountain.

Archived