QB Rank: NFL starting quarterbacks ranked 1-32

QB Rank: NFL starting quarterbacks ranked 1-32

Welcome to USA TODAY Sports’ ranking of all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks. Click on a quarterback to reveal his grading and follow the 'read more' link for an extensive breakdown.

For video examples of each attribute and to see how the quarterbacks rank in each category, check out the ATTRIBUTES section.

QB Rank No. 23: Andy Dalton

By Steven Ruiz July 17, 2015 10:59 am ET

dalton_tile.png?w=1000&h=253

accuracy

Dalton’s accuracy takes big hit on downfield throws to the perimeter, causing him to leave too many big plays on the field. On shorter throws, Dalton generally hits his mark.

Grade: 7.5

arm strength

Dalton’s arm strength is good enough to get by as an above average starting quarterback. He’s not going to wow you with his arm but it won’t hold him back either.

athleticism

Dalton is good on the move and is a threat to pull the ball on read option designs, but he won’t make defenders miss in the open field and rarely creates big plays with his legs.

pocket presence

Pressure rattles Dalton more than most quarterbacks. It’s not very often you see him stand in the pocket, take a big hit and deliver a strike downfield. More often than not, Dalton will bail on the pocket at the first sign of danger.

Grade: 7

field vision

Dalton does not see the field clearly, and his lack of presence in the pocket plays a big role in that. He rarely comes off his first read, opting to force the ball into coverage rather than looking for another option. The Bengals offense is based around simple concepts like pick plays and bubble screens to help him out.

Grade: 6.5

pre-snap

This is Dalton’s strength. He knows how to attack a defense’s weakness based on pre-snap alignments and does so often. But if the defense adjusts at the snap of the ball, he struggles to adapt in the heat of the moment. His success is almost directly tied to how good of a game plan his coaches have put together, which explains his inconsistency.

Grade: 8.5

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/07/17/qb-rank-23-andy-dalton/

The Soviets had impressive mind-control programs. The most important of these were the consistent, non-stop, messages to the populace repeating over and over the same themes. Their media had talents in shaping the same themes in perceptively different presentations, but never departing from the desired message. State it often enough, it becomes reality to the receiving masses.

Andyganda! Brought to you (today) by USA Today.

Dalton is ranked 23rd but almost all of the QBs ranked ahead of him have had better seasons or led their team further than Andy has. Jay Cutler and Sam Bradford are probably the most arguable but even if you accept that, Andy would be at 21. And perhaps lower if Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Winston, and Mariota show signs of quality. Frankly I thought the accuracy rating for Dalton was overly kind. I've seen him miss a lot of not very difficult throws, where maybe the receiver catches the ball but isn't hit in stride.

Dalton is ranked 23rd but almost all of the QBs ranked ahead of him have had better seasons or led their team further than Andy has. Jay Cutler and Sam Bradford are probably the most arguable but even if you accept that, Andy would be at 21. And perhaps lower if Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Winston, and Mariota show signs of quality. Frankly I thought the accuracy rating for Dalton was overly kind. I've seen him miss a lot of not very difficult throws, where maybe the receiver catches the ball but isn't hit in stride.

How is bridgewater ranked ahead of dalton?

I have Dalton in the 13th to 17th range.

He is battling against bad coaching and has some games that are real stinkers. The utilization of House speaks on the poor QB coaching, especially with the increased use of House this off season. Difference coaches and Dalton would crack the top 10.

He is not an elite talent who can take over a game, but there are only so many Bradys, Mannings, and Rodgers in the league. Andy is a bubble 2/3 tier QB.

Had a better season quality wise with a weak running game and far worse receivers as a rookie. Certainly, he believes Teddy has more upside.

Teddy's rookie year was pretty good, especially considering the lack of AP. His YPA and completion % stats were better than Dalton's rookie numbers or Dalton's numbers last year. 

I wouldn't have been surprised if Nick Foles had been rated ahead of Dalton too. He's younger, with a stronger arm, and has had a better season than any that Andy has put up. His 2013 season is miles better than Andy's and that is typically considered Dalton's best.

Teddy's rookie year was pretty good, especially considering the lack of AP. His YPA and completion % stats were better than Dalton's rookie numbers or Dalton's numbers last year. 

I wouldn't have been surprised if Nick Foles had been rated ahead of Dalton too. He's younger, with a stronger arm, and has had a better season than any that Andy has put up. His 2013 season is miles better than Andy's and that is typically considered Dalton's best.

So let me see if I have this straight.  When comparing Bridgewater to Dalton we have to ignore what Dalton has done in the past and just look at last year.

But when comparing Foles to Dalton we have to ignore what Foles did last year and just look at the past.

And when comparing Dalton to Sam Bradford we pretty much have to ignore everything about both of them except their pre-draft evaluations.

Is that how this works?

Had a better season quality wise with a weak running game and far worse receivers as a rookie. Certainly, he believes Teddy has more upside.

Last year Bridgewater's Vikings rushed for 1804 yards (14th in the league) and averaged 4.4 per carry (11th).  In 2013 the Bengals rushed for 1755 yards (18th), and averaged 3.6 per carry (28th).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Only 4 of Bridgewaters 13 games last year were against team who ranked higher then 15th in pass efficiency defense.  Almost half of his games (6 of 13) were against teams that ranked in the bottom 1/4th (24th or lower) in pass efficiency defense including 4 games against the worst three defenses in the entire league (#32 Wash, #31 Chicago twice, and #30 Jets)

Look at the names!    Sure Marvin Lewis vs. Jeff Fischer.   Great Argument, I guess.   Who cares?

Dalton vs. Bridgewater, Foles, Bradford?  Great.   Beat them up.

The Dalton issue is two fold.    We have a talented team.   A very talented team.   You don't win 40 games in 4 seasons with 80 something QB play and flat TO margin without talent.

Can Andy bring it consistently during the regular season to get them a top seed in the AFC?  Can he bring it in the post season for advancement?

That's all that matters and whether or not Andy is truly the 17th best vs. 23rd is a worthwhile debate, I guess.

Last year Bridgewater's Vikings rushed for 1804 yards (14th in the league) and averaged 4.4 per carry (11th).  In 2013 the Bengals rushed for 1755 yards (18th), and averaged 3.6 per carry (28th).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Only 4 of Bridgewaters 13 games last year were against team who ranked higher then 15th in pass efficiency defense.  Almost half of his games (6 of 13) were against teams that ranked in the bottom 1/4th (24th or lower) in pass efficiency defense including 4 games against the worst three defenses in the entire league (#32 Wash, #31 Chicago twice, and #30 Jets)

Like I said, the writer thinks Bridgewater has more upside while he seems to think Andy has peeked.  I was trying to explain the writer's reasoning.  I myself would have had a separate ranking for starters with 2 or less years of experience. 

Isn't it always? Nobody says something positive about Andy, he's a nobody, nobody says Andy sucks, his expertise cannot be denied.

when scouts and reputable great football minds say he isnt good, it is also ignored.. so this point is pretty shaky....

So if a media femora like this one tags along with the supposed great minds, does that stand as fact or just judgment?
But then again, I have seen this judgment here since the first post-Quitter season.

Fact is Andy is 80 something regular season QB and sub 70 rated post season QB with 0 wins and 1 TD against multiple TOs in four tries.

Judgement is based on those facts. My guess is any disagreement with that judgement is done solely based on the uniform he wears.

It's important to note that any disagreement with this particular judgement seems to have ceiling around the number 17 or 16 for Andy. That doesn't really dispute whatever the great minds of football have told us for a while about Dalton.

It's up to Dalton to change the narrative not message board posters because the narrative is true.

It's up to Dalton to change the narrative not message board posters because the narrative is true.

The narrative is true?

BAB routinely exaggerates how much Dalton makes when compared to other QB's while breathlessly insisting players like Jermain Gresham should be handed blank checks.

Go ignored injury after injury last season to claim Dalton was wasting the talents of the greatest receiving group the Bengals have ever had.

Sparky's posts are repeatedly filled with nonsense about how Dalton has no worth to other NFL teams because months ago poor old Sparky couldn't find a trade partner in his Yahoo chat group.

And your own rants are crafted around replacing Dalton with easily obtained replacements like Cutler, Brees, Rivers, and Cardale Jones....each player presumably signed to front loaded contracts. 

Now toss in the rest of the nonsense, including QB rankings written by someone with less Twitter followers than my aunt Faye, and your so-called truthful narrative smacks of click-bait far more than some deliberately ignored unpopular truth.

The narrative is true?

BAB routinely exaggerates how much Dalton makes when compared to other QB's while breathlessly insisting players like Jermain Gresham should be handed blank checks.

Go ignored injury after injury last season to claim Dalton was wasting the talents of the greatest receiving group the Bengals have ever had.

Sparky's posts are repeatedly filled with nonsense about how Dalton has no worth to other NFL teams because months ago poor old Sparky couldn't find a trade partner in his Yahoo chat group.

And your own rants are crafted around replacing Dalton with easily obtained replacements like Cutler, Brees, Rivers, and Cardale Jones....each player presumably signed to front loaded contracts. 

Now toss in the rest of the nonsense, including QB rankings written by someone with less Twitter followers than my aunt Faye, and your so-called truthful narrative smacks of click-bait far more than some deliberately ignored unpopular truth.

Yeah but your Aunt Faye is hot.

Archived