QB Rank: NFL starting quarterbacks ranked 1-32

So let me see if I have this straight.  When comparing Bridgewater to Dalton we have to ignore what Dalton has done in the past and just look at last year.

But when comparing Foles to Dalton we have to ignore what Foles did last year and just look at the past.

And when comparing Dalton to Sam Bradford we pretty much have to ignore everything about both of them except their pre-draft evaluations.

Is that how this works?

No, all 4 of those guys are relatively young but judging them by career stats, Bradford should be last due to his fragility. Of the others, Foles has a career 94 passer rating with 61% completions, 7.6 ypa and 46/17 TD/INT ratio. Bridgewater has the 1 season. Dalton has 61%, 7.0 ypa, and 99/66. 

Dalton and Bridgewater both have 85 career passer ratings but Dalton has a much better supporting cast. 

There might be agreement among Bengal fans that Dalton is a middle of the pack guy but that's a hard sell outside Cincinnati.

Not really. I do quite a bit of traveling and invariably end up talking football with fans from other teams/cities. When I ask about their impression of Dalton, the answer is almost always that he's wildly inconsistent, chokes on the big stage but about average overall. Actually, about the only fans I've ever heard say that Dalton sucks are, in fact, Bengal fans.

The narrative is true?

BAB routinely exaggerates how much Dalton makes when compared to other QB's while breathlessly insisting players like Jermain Gresham should be handed blank checks.

Go ignored injury after injury last season to claim Dalton was wasting the talents of the greatest receiving group the Bengals have ever had.

Sparky's posts are repeatedly filled with nonsense about how Dalton has no worth to other NFL teams because months ago poor old Sparky couldn't find a trade partner in his Yahoo chat group.

And your own rants are crafted around replacing Dalton with easily obtained replacements like Cutler, Brees, Rivers, and Cardale Jones....each player presumably signed to front loaded contracts. 

Now toss in the rest of the nonsense, including QB rankings written by someone with less Twitter followers than my aunt Faye, and your so-called truthful narrative smacks of click-bait far more than some deliberately ignored unpopular truth.

Dalton has some value in the NFL. For another team, he'd be a high end backup QB with 64 career starts. He could be a bridge QB starter for a team looking for their franchise QB. Dalton is a relatively safe, high floor, low ceiling guy. Comparable to Ryan Fitzpatrick and better than Chase Daniel. 

Not sure why'd you brought it up but yes indeed Dalton isn't very highly valued by fans of other teams. In a mock before the 2014 season, we the Bengals staff did try to trade Dalton. He was coming off his 33 TD, 4K season so we thought he'd have trade value comparable to Alex Smith. We offered him to his hometown Houston Texans who had dumped Mr Pick Six, Matt Schaub. They laughed, since they'd seen Dalton play them twice in the playoffs and considered him a step down from TJ Yates. So they made a deal for RG3. Nobody else would make us a decent offer for Dalton either. This was before his contract extension when he was really cheap so we just drafted Derek Carr. 

Not really. I do quite a bit of traveling and invariably end up talking football with fans from other teams/cities. When I ask about their impression of Dalton, the answer is almost always that he's wildly inconsistent, chokes on the big stage but about average overall. Actually, about the only fans I've ever heard say that Dalton sucks are, in fact, Bengal fans.

Average guys don't have games like 2.0. That's why it was the lowest rating in decades. 

Must not have watched the pro bowl.   Unless those were all Cincinnati fans or booing over in Hawaii is a form of appreciation.

Must not be on social media.  Although I'm not going to attempt to summarize the entire view of  NFL fans participating of social media there is plenty of evidence provided on a frequent basis that disputes only Bengal fans think Dalton sucks.

Just for the record.  I don't think Dalton sucks.  He's a starting NFL QB.   As 3rd tier as it gets but there are always 3rd tier starters.  

Once again, I will echo how the people can't see the forest through the trees when it comes to Dalton.    Sure we can trade evidence of opinion of other fans all day.   We can make great and long arguments about how Dalton really is the 15th best QB instead of 23. 

At the end of the day, he is a marginal performer in the regular season and a horrible performer in the postseason.   Which makes it very difficult to win a championship.   Not that it can't be done or won't be done.   He either has to raise his play or the team has to reach historical greatness in the mode of Dilfer/Ravens or Johnson/Bucs.

Average guys don't have games like 2.0. That's why it was the lowest rating in decades. 

I don't know why you think passer rating is the end all be all, but there are currently 5 quarterbacks in the hall of fame that at one point in their career had a passer rating of 0 in a game.  In fact, 1 of them did it twice and another did it three times.

oh, and his 2.0 wasn't the "lowest in decades", as there was a 0.0 as recently as 2007 (not to mention another one last year, albeit after Dalton's 2.0)

I don't know why you think passer rating is the end all be all, but there are currently 5 quarterbacks in the hall of fame that at one point in their career had a passer rating of 0 in a game.  In fact, 1 of them did it twice and another did it three times.

oh, and his 2.0 wasn't the "lowest in decades", as there was a 0.0 as recently as 2007 (not to mention another one last year, albeit after Dalton's 2.0)

1181, you know facts don't matter on this board.  "I'ze sent it wif my own Ezes" is the measurement.

Passer ratings have been rising overall for decades as interceptions are more hated currently than they were 40 years ago. Back then on 3rd and medium to long, teams would throw deep figuring that if it was intercepted, it was no worse than a punt and if it was caught could be a TD. 

Anyway this piece says that Dalton's 2.0 on 33 pass attempts was the first game with a rating of 2.0 or less with at least 30 attempts since 1983. Not sure which games you are referring to but I'll bet they had fewer attempts than Dalton did vs Cleveland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/07/andy-daltons-passer-rating-was-fifth-worst-since-1960-for-qbs-with-at-least-30-attempts/

Must not have watched the pro bowl.   Unless those were all Cincinnati fans or booing over in Hawaii is a form of appreciation.

Must not be on social media.  Although I'm not going to attempt to summarize the entire view of  NFL fans participating of social media there is plenty of evidence provided on a frequent basis that disputes only Bengal fans think Dalton sucks.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to the context of personal conversations I've had with other fans. Next time I'll make sure I spell it out for you.

Not sure why'd you brought it up but yes indeed Dalton isn't very highly valued by fans of other teams. In a mock before the 2014 season, we the Bengals staff did try to trade Dalton. He was coming off his 33 TD, 4K season so we thought he'd have trade value comparable to Alex Smith. We offered him to his hometown Houston Texans who had dumped Mr Pick Six, Matt Schaub. They laughed, since they'd seen Dalton play them twice in the playoffs and considered him a step down from TJ Yates. So they made a deal for RG3. Nobody else would make us a decent offer for Dalton either. This was before his contract extension when he was really cheap so we just drafted Derek Carr. 

I brought it up because you've mentioned it about a half dozen times.

Myself, I'd be hard pressed to name something with less merit, but apparently you think the inability to find a trade partner for a mock draft is something worth mentioning over and over again.

Good luck with that.

Does he think that?  Why are you dismissing it?

There's been plenty of analysis using game film and game action to highlight Dalton's struggles.   Those are typically met with the same dismissive attitude.

Who cares?

At the end of the day we are splitting hairs about high Dalton ranks among the crop of 3rd tier QBs or fringe 2nd tier QBs.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to the context of personal conversations I've had with other fans. Next time I'll make sure I spell it out for you.

You were clear.  No need to spell it out.   That's why I pointed out the Pro Bowl and Social media to dispute your conclusion you based solely on the context of your personal conversations.

1181, you know facts don't matter on this board.  "I'ze sent it wif my own Ezes" is the measurement.

One thing I never see with my eyes is Kenny's counter argument as to why he disputes Dalton's ranking.  

At the end of the day he'll place him slightly higher due to a homer bias but in the end he sees the same as the rest.   The only difference is Kenny enjoys turd polishing more than others.

You were clear.  No need to spell it out.   That's why I pointed out the Pro Bowl and Social media to dispute your conclusion you based solely on the context of your personal conversations.

I think you're letting your contempt for Dalton cloud your reading comprehension (or maybe it just isn't that good). Either way, I never posited a conclusion, just anecdotal evidence to contest the notion that only Bengal fans think Dalton is average. I mean, damn dude, it's really not worth arguing over.

I think you're letting your contempt for Dalton cloud your reading comprehension (or maybe it just isn't that good). Either way, I never posited a conclusion, just anecdotal evidence to contest the notion that only Bengal fans think Dalton is average. I mean, damn dude, it's really not worth arguing over.

Why are you trying so hard to be insulting?   I posted two sources that you could reference to add to your vast inventory of anecdotal evidence to come to a better conclusion.

I brought it up because you've mentioned it about a half dozen times.

Myself, I'd be hard pressed to name something with less merit, but apparently you think the inability to find a trade partner for a mock draft is something worth mentioning over and over again.

Good luck with that.

Well, I was able to trade Dalton to another team in a mock this past offseason. I'm proud of myself for trading Dalton and a 3rd to San Diego for Rivers. At the time Rivers was saying he wouldn't move to LA with the rest of the Chargers so it was mainly a salary dump from their point of view. But I did con them into believing that Dalton was about as good as Alex Smith and Derek Carr and probably better than Brock Osweiler. Nobody else wanted Gresham in free agency so we ended up re-signing him for a couple mil per year. Greg Hardy, Terence Knighton, and Brandon Graham were our main FA additions. We let Peko, Geathers, Maualuga, and Hall go and drafted Flowers and Lockett to start off the draft. 

So where do the ESPN insiders rank Dalton? 

So where do the ESPN insiders rank Dalton? 

don't know about the ESPN Insiders, but Jaworski just put him 16th, which is pretty spot on IMO.  Also the highest Jaws has ever ranked him during the preseason, 2 spots up from last year's preseason rankings.

don't know about the ESPN Insiders, but Jaworski just put him 16th, which is pretty spot on IMO.  Also the highest Jaws has ever ranked him during the preseason, 2 spots up from last year's preseason rankings.

That's a few spots higher than Palmer and more than a few higher than Cutler.

For those who missed it Jaws used a play against Atlanta to demonstrate how good Dalton is presnap, noting how quickly he spotted no safety help over the middle...prompting him to shift Gresham from the outside to a spot on the line where he could pick up an unaccounted for blitzer.  

After the snap Dalton still gets blasted by another unblocked blitzer but has enough time to hit Sanu with a short pass that resulted in a 70+ yard score.

After the clip the panel of three ex-NFL players all agreed the narrative about Dalton not being able to win a playoff game was false but had taken on a life of it's own.

Tim Hasselbeck (sp?) then claimed Dalton and #17 ranked Tannehill were both capable of performing as well as any QB ranked ahead of them but still lacked enough consistency to rank higher.

All three agreed the Bengals won't take the next step in the playoffs until the rest of the team shows up and plays well, and as a demonstration showed several plays....including the clip of AJ Green dropping the bomb that hit him in the hands.  

In short, a familiar Dalton defender narrative from ex-NFL players, none of whom could be described as homers.

But what do they know, right?

After the snap Dalton still gets blasted by another unblocked blitzer

Closer to Top 10 than absolutely pitiful!

After the clip the panel of three ex-NFL players all agreed the narrative about Dalton not being able to win a playoff game was false but had taken on a life of it's own.

Here at GB.com it's not only taken on a life of its own, it has a 2nd secret family across town.  It's the hand that stirs the pot & shall not be questioned.

He went to a Pro Bowl so he's an elite talent just like Jermaine Gresham

I just read how unimpressed the Cards were with Gresham's visit. 

Kicked the tires and then immediately turned their attention to a 33yr old Chris Cooley.

New Orleans still looks like the best fit to me and I bet they're offering peanuts.

I just read how unimpressed the Cards were with Gresham's visit. 

Kicked the tires and then immediately turned their attention to a 33yr old Chris Cooley.

New Orleans still looks like the best fit to me and I bet they're offering peanuts.

My thinking is that there is no 'best fit' which is why Jermood is still unemployed.

Archived