African-American restaurant patrons upset after labeled ‘black couple’ on receipt

Go Skins

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29606086/black-couple

ST. LOUIS -

A waitress was fired because of the way she labeled a pair of customers on a receipt at a St. Louis restaurant.

The receipt from Patrick's Westport Grill used the words 'black couple' to track a table where African-American customers were seated.

The owner, Patrick Hanon, said the waitress made an extremely bad decision and did so because she could not remember her table numbers.

"Totally, totally humiliated. I was frustrated. I was angry. I was thinking really -- are we still doing this in 2015?" said customer Kimberli Wilson regarding the incident.

"We were the very first table. If you walked into Patrick’s you would have walked into us. So she could have said first table. Table at front door. Man with coral shirt, there are so many other options that she could have chosen other than that, that's unacceptable," Wilson continued.

Hanon has owned Patrick's for 33 years and said an incident like this has never happened before.

Wilson says even after the restaurant offered her free food and drinks, she has no interest in returning.

"Basically my point is people need to know what's going on at a place where they're spending their money," she said.

Hanon says the invitation to return still stands and he hope to welcome them back.

Ok, so.....saying......"black couple" is racist now? I could understand it if it said "The niggers at table 4", but, are they not a black couple? If I'm a fan of say..... Morgan Freeman,and you don't know who he is, how many hoops do I have to hop through before I'm allowed to point out his skin color? Must we exhaust every other avenue possible before we're allowed to state the fucking obvious? If I was in a predominantly black shop and someone said "the white guy", I don't think I'd find much fault in that. And don't think for one second that I wouldn't be labeled as that the second I walked through the door. 

MULLY

Whatever.  I'm not going back into ANY Place that does that shit, either!

So you hold the owner responsible for the actions of his employees even when once they have found out they fire them? WTF are they supposed to do, scour the minds of possible employees of any possible dumb tendencies before hiring them?

WTF?

Seriously I agree that it's unacceptable, But what would you have them do? Put yourself in their place.. What the fuck do you do?

So you hold the owner responsible for the actions of his employees even when once they have found out they fire them? WTF are they supposed to do, scour the minds of possible employees of any possible dumb tendencies before hiring them?

WTF?

Seriously I agree that it's unacceptable, But what would you have them do? Put yourself in their place.. What the fuck do you do?

I'm held responsible for what my employees do, and I only manage the place. There is something in the culture of that place that allows that to occur. Culture comes from the top down.

I'm held responsible for what my employees do, and I only manage the place. There is something in the culture of that place that allows that to occur. Culture comes from the top down.

The culture? What are you talking about? She didn't write "Those n'ers.." And even if she did, how are they supposed to know? There is no litmus test for stupidity.

I would hope you would give credit to the business owner for firing her. He didn't have to. Most wouldn't have. Maybe he shouldn't have since apparently it doesn't matter.

They should probably number their tables like every other restaurant does. 

He said she was having trouble remembering the table numbers.

Ok, so.....saying......"black couple" is racist now? I could understand it if it said "The niggers at table 4", but, are they not a black couple? If I'm a fan of say..... Morgan Freeman,and you don't know who he is, how many hoops do I have to hop through before I'm allowed to point out his skin color? Must we exhaust every other avenue possible before we're allowed to state the fucking obvious? If I was in a predominantly black shop and someone said "the white guy", I don't think I'd find much fault in that. And don't think for one second that I wouldn't be labeled as that the second I walked through the door. 
MULLY

Completely agree

Yeah, what do I know. I'm quite sure that all of you white guys know a lot more about the American Racial experience than I do.

My inlaws are black, man (they call themselves "black" so that's how I refer to them). My father in-law grew up in Jim Crow south literally on a cotton plantation (share croppers in Alabama, outside Mobile). I think I know a little about it. My wife read this and without reading any of the comments basically parroted what Mully said.. In her words "Ok... So what's the problem? It's not like she called them N'ers". I sent it to my Father in law and he thought she was over-reacting.. I mean we can all face-palm about this, But the owner fired the girl over it. I don't know what more you should expect. It wasn't a racial slur, if anything she (waitress) just comes off as ignorant and dumb.

Don't act like all "white guys" are the same. And I have probably experienced more racism than my wife has since we have been together, both from blacks and whites. But by far more from African American men who seem personally offended by the fact that I would dare to be with a black women..

I don't think it's right to make assumptions of the waitresses character on this. Us "white guys" often don't know what's considered acceptable because it changes so frequently. My understanding is "black" is preferred over "African American" so the issue isn't the term, it's being identified by race. It's simply a physical characteristic that there shouldn't be any shame in. If there's a fat black guy at the restaurant, seems like he'd prefer being described as black over fat.

When telling a story and calling someone black when it has no bearing on the story is racism, but I have a hard time seeing the issue when trying to help identify someone. If they got shittier service, then it's definitely an issue. I'm guessing age is at play here as well, the older you are the more offensive you find it.

I cant imagine she wouldn't win a wrongful termination situation. 

Lets say I went to your car dealership and you gave me great service. And lets say your the only black guy there. Would you be upset if I said, you have to go to Kenneth for your service. He is the black middle aged guy who will likely be in an Andy Dalton jersey?

Its not derogatory to point out a trait about someone. This is the equivalent of saying the blonde guy or the black haired guy.  I actually think it's a bit negative to act like this is a big deal. As if calling someone black is the same as calling someone fat or short or ugly. Those would all be negative things you wouldn't want to put on there. A description that is simply a trait with no negative correlation should get a complete pass. 

I can't imagine how much time people are wasting in their lives to get outraged by this stuff. Go outside. Go for a bike ride. Go to another restaurant. The world is gigantic and to spend one second complaining about this seems dumb. 

I don't see how you fire her at all. If I am the owner I am asking myself what kind of climate have I created that there is only one black couple in my restaurant so that they can be found by a simple note. 

I cant imagine she wouldn't win a wrongful termination situation. 

Lets say I went to your car dealership and you gave me great service. And lets say your the only black guy there. Would you be upset if I said, you have to go to Kenneth for your service. He is the black middle aged guy who will likely be in an Andy Dalton jersey?

Its not derogatory to point out a trait about someone. This is the equivalent of saying the blonde guy or the black haired guy.  I actually think it's a bit negative to act like this is a big deal. As if calling someone black is the same as calling someone fat or short or ugly. Those would all be negative things you wouldn't want to put on there. A description that is simply a trait with no negative correlation should get a complete pass. 

I can't imagine how much time people are wasting in their lives to get outraged by this stuff. Go outside. Go for a bike ride. Go to another restaurant. The world is gigantic and to spend one second complaining about this seems dumb. 

I don't see how you fire her at all. If I am the owner I am asking myself what kind of climate have I created that there is only one black couple in my restaurant so that they can be found by a simple note. 

:24:

Sorry Kenny but that's funny!!

He just said it wrong. My guys would say "the black guy in the sweet suit and Cole Haans with the signed Andy Dalton Jersey on the wall." I'm a baller!) :)

I was going to say nice dressed black guy....but I honestly thought that sounded a little racist with the assumption that there are not many nice dressed black guys so that guy stands out. When in reality most black guys who work with me are about 100x more well dressed then me. 

Archived