Gio Bernard's versatility may present conundrum for Bengals coaches

Gio Bernard's versatility may present conundrum for Bengals coaches

CINCINNATI -- Giovani Bernard has one main concern at this early stage of the Cincinnati Bengals' season: getting chances.

"When you've got the opportunity to build on something," the third-year running back said, "you've just got to capitalize on it and hopefully do something with it."

Last season, the number of opportunities Bernard had were ultimately fewer than he anticipated. A series of injuries caused him to miss three games. The emergence of Jeremy Hill last year also cut into Bernard's chances, leaving many to wonder how the Bengals will use both backs this season.

As Cincinnati enters its second full week of training camp, special teams continues to play a role in determining that. Although he isn't getting the No. 1 reps at either position, Bernard still continues to practice as a kick and punt returner while also backing up Hill on offense. That versatility could create an intense end-of-camp debate among Bengals coaches.

"He was successful at it in college," special-teams coordinator Darrin Simmons said about Bernard's return skills.

At North Carolina, Bernard had a 16.4-yard punt return average in two seasons. He also took two punts for touchdowns.

"We started to get him into it [as a rookie] and then he became a starting player for us as a running back right away," Simmons said. "So, I kind of had to back him out of that."

Enter, Hill.

After Bernard posted a combined 1,209 yards of total offense his first season, he had 1,029 in an injury-plagued second season. He also went from taking the bulk of the backfield receiving opportunities in 2013 to sharing them in 2014. Two years ago, en route to finishing as the Bengals' third-leading receiver, Bernard was targeted 70 times compared to BenJarvus Green-Ellis' six. Last season, he had 56 targets compared to Hill's 31.

As a rusher, Bernard had a similar percentage split with Hill last season that he had with Green-Ellis the year before. Bernard had 43.6 percent of the carries in 2013, and in 2014 he had 43.1 percent of the carries split between him and Hill. After Hill's strong rookie season, one that saw him lead the NFL in rushing across the final nine weeks, Bernard may have a lower share of rushing chances in 2015.

Enter Simmons' hope to use the speedy Bernard on special teams.

"That's obviously something that we are looking at and working towards," Simmons said.

Not every coach is thrilled about that.

"If anything, it might scare me because he's so valuable to our football team," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said about Bernard possibly getting more return work. "But if that's what it takes to help us win, then I'm all for it. And if it takes another opportunity for him to touch the ball then that's great for him.

"He's a very talented guy and he deserves to have the ball in his hands. But at the same time he's such a huge part of what we do on offense that I'm sure as we move forward we'll continue to discuss it."

Regardless how Bernard's special teams role shakes out, he wants to use this camp to keep showcasing his quick, shifty skill set as much as possible.

"Whenever those opportunities come, however they come, whether it's on special teams or not, I've just got to capitalize on that," Bernard said. "It's just more opportunities to shine."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18232/bengals-giovani-bernard-training-camp-versatility-debate-coaches-returner

I think Gio and Hill will be alternated by series and not by down.  In other words I don't just see Gio as a third down back, and Hill looks like a very good receiver out of the backfield.  

I am guessing that Gio gets a little less than a third of the snaps at RB this year.  Hill is just too good.  So definitely let Gio return kicks and/or punts.  He can be absolutely electric in the open field.

Why does the title give me the impression that the Bengals are not smart enough to use talented players?

Maybe because their answer to having two talented players with different skill sets has been to alternate series rather than, say, use them based on the situation? 

The only thing that worries me about Bernard returning punts is that he hardly ever fair catches the ball, and had fumbles in the return game in college as a result.

He did? I could have swore I read when he was drafted that he had only 1 fumble (or maybe even zero fumbles) in the return game at NC.

Archived