Is Marvin Jones "soft"?

I hate throwing aroud the "s" word, but I am starting to question his toughness.

I am also starting to wonder if this was the reason he fell all the way to the 6th round.

Marvin Lewis doesn't seem too happy with him now.

based on what?

soft IMO, means you are a pussy..

getting injured doesnt make you soft, ... and missing a few days of camp in august isnt as big of a deal as people want to pretend, especially marvin, who doesnt want to be talking anyway and says shit like he did about marv all the time.. it shows me that marvin is going to get his ego hurt be being talked about, unlike other players who obviously must get danced around and never say a foul word about no matter what... 

IIRC he broke his foot last year.. valid injury... missing a few practices to get healthy or stay healthy is nothing...

literally nothing...

he starts missing preseason games and game due to injury you can call him injury prone, perhaps.. but soft doesnt really seem to apply... IMO

If by "soft" you mean "injured all of the time and never fucking plays and is therefore useless" then yes, I do believe he is soft...

But he hasn't been that...yet. His 2013 season was awesome for a #2 aside AJ Green. If he can even come close to replicating that this season then we're good. Dude is a legit redzone threat (when healthy).

This is a hamstring issue with a guy who who makes a living with his legs and hands.

From my days playing rugby, I know first hand that tweaking a hammy messes with you. I do not fault the guy for sitting out. Plus it is giving Little and Burkhead extra reps, which they are apparently making the most of.

I would be questioning Jones if this were the regular season and he was sitting out of games. But right now, it does not bother me in the slightest that he is erring on the side of caution.

I actually prefer it.

An ounce of prevention...

It's not like he's ever refused to play through a minor injury. He had season ending surgery and missed the whole year...

Is Vontaze Burfict soft? 

No, VB is dirty. Or was, anyway - and it caught up to him. No one to blame but himself.

Jones never played a game last year and now he is "hurt" the first week of camp.  Maybe it's Jones himself with a little self doubt thinking he might be injury prone and afraid to get off the sidelines.  Lewis sees that and calls him out on it.

Nothing against Jones.  I am sure that is mentally difficult on a lot of players.

Extremely hard to trust Marvin Jones at this point. The man has not played meaningful NFL football in almost 2 years. A guy can have all the talent in the world but does the team no good if he can't suit up and play.

In 3 seasons he has played in 28 games and missed 21.
He has only 8 starts in those 3 seasons.
He only has 5 games of 65+ yards.
Yes he had the 10 TDs in a season but he wouldn't be the 1st player to score double digit TDs in a season then never come close to that total again. (see Laurent Robinson as an example...among others)

I hope I'm wrong but Jones has one-season wonder written all over him imo.

Seems kind of mentally weak when it comes to trusting his body from an outsiders perspective. Marvin usually doesn't call guys out unless he thinks they can play for the most part. Get out there Jones.

Like I said, I want to spend a top 3 pick on WR next draft

I'm surprised we waited until the 7th round to take a WR this past draft to be honest.  

On Jones being "soft", I wouldn't go that far just yet.  We haven't even played the first

preseason game yet.  He definitely needs to play during the preseason games being out

all of last year though.  Let's just hope this stuff doesn't drag into the regular season. 

Is Marvin Jones holding himself out or is the training staff telling him he needs to rest the hamstring? Is Marvin Jones making up injuries and symptoms so the training staff has to tell him to sit out? Who knows. All I know is this is a money year for Jones and he worked his butt off to prepare for this season. My guess is he wants to be out on the field at all cost. Also I wonder why Marvin Lewis would make the comments he did if he didnt feel like Jones could be out there practicing.

based on what?

getting injured doesnt make you soft, ... and missing a few days of camp in august isnt as big of a deal as people want to pretend, especially marvin, who doesnt want to be talking anyway and says shit like he did about marv all the time.. it shows me that marvin is going to get his ego hurt be being talked about, unlike other players who obviously must get danced around and never say a foul word about no matter what... 

IIRC he broke his foot last year.. valid injury... missing a few practices to get healthy or stay healthy is nothing...

literally nothing...

he starts missing preseason games and game due to injury you can call him injury prone, perhaps.. but soft doesnt really seem to apply... IMO

Well Said!

based on what?

literally nothing...

Good stuff. Anyone who plays in the NFL isn't soft but some are injury prone and more than others.

Archived