Geno Smith “sucker punched” in Jets’ locker room, out 6-10 weeks

Montana Bengal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/geno-smith-sucker-punched-in-jets-locker-room-out-6-10-weeks/

Geno Smith “sucker punched” in Jets’ locker room, out 6-10 weeks

Jets quarterback Geno Smith has been injured in a fight in the team’s locker room and will likely miss the start of the regular season.

In a stunning announcement today, Jets coach Todd Bowles said that Smith suffered a broken jaw when he was “sucker punched” by Jets linebacker IK Enemkpali. The Jets have cut Enemkpali as a result.

Smith is expected to miss 6-10 weeks. The Jets’ opener is less than five weeks away, so Smith will almost certainly miss some time to start the regular season.

Training camp fights are common, but those fights are usually on the practice field, when players are in full pads. For a player to seriously injure a teammate in the locker room is very rare. And for a player to seriously injure his team’s starting quarterback is completely shocking.

For Smith and the Jets, it’s a major setback. And it’s a story that will raise serious questions around the NFL, about whether the league needs to crack down harder on fights between teammates.

I just couldn't resist this thread.  I'd love to know if I'm alone in my sentiment about this event.  If reports are true about Geno owing him money and, after repeated confrontations, refusing to pay and saying "you're not going to do anything about it", I'm GLAD IK punched him in the face.

There are so many weasels in our society today who know the limits of the law and use their position of power or authority to screw people over that I'm glad one of 'em finally got punched in the face.  Every working man who ever got verbally abused by a boss, every "little person" who ever got screwed over by a wealthy neighbor or associate - anyone who ever knew that they couldn't afford a lawyer to take a jackass to court - this punch is for you!

I know in my heart that we can't have a society that allows the settling of disputes by a fist in the face, but this situation just reeks of "I'm the cool franchise QB and you're a 6th round draft pick.  I have all the power here - you have none."    Honestly, what recourse did IK have?  Small claims court?  You're gonna take your franchise QB to court and expect to not be cut?   I know I'm revealing some not-so-latent hostility here at our society which legally protects rich punks like Geno and corporate people who operate with zero sense of loyalty to employees.  I'm glad one of 'em finally got a busted jaw.

There.  I said it.

Geno will probably sue and IK will lose in the long run, but for one day everybody who ever wanted to punch a boss or a rich bully in the face had to smile.

Archived