Projecting the Bengals' 53-man roster

Yeah, I thought Hunt looked unwilling to finish the other night.

As for trade talk, I read an interesting "article" last night on reddit that had someone in Philly projecting we make a trade with them: Jake Fisher goes back to Kelly (who apparently badly wanted him in the draft) and we get Jordan Hicks (who we apparently badly wanted (I know I did) and some draft picks).

Almost certainly no merit, but you can't argue with the fact that we are fat on the DL and lean at LB and WR.

There's only so much roster space that can be dedicated to the "future".       Every year you typically can mark down just about every team's picks 1-4 are making, it has to be high 90s percentage.      You can't go to far in reserving spots for guys that aren't performing and getting out played.    Sure you run the risk (as every team does) that the light comes on once you cut the individual. 

Probably more guys never pay off vs. the ones that eventually do. 

I agree as well, but I don't see any way that Carter isn't one of the inactives every week. Plus he is too small and only has one ability. I'd much rather have Pat Sims behind Brandon Thompson to help stop the run and Deshawn Williams sitting inactive each week for the future than having Chris Carter waste a 53 man spot and we lose Sims or Williams.

I agree as well, but I don't see any way that Carter isn't one of the inactives every week. Plus he is too small and only has one ability. I'd much rather have Pat Sims behind Brandon Thompson to help stop the run and Deshawn Williams sitting inactive each week for the future than having Chris Carter waste a 53 man spot and we lose Sims or Williams.

Carter is not competing with Sims, Williams, or Thompson.  Or even Hunt.  He is competing with Flowers and DiManche.  He is a LB.  He can rush the QB.  Can he do the other stuff well enough that he is not a 1 trick pony.

• Upvote 2

Carter is not competing with Sims, Williams, or Thompson.  Or even Hunt.  He is competing with Flowers and DiManche.  He is a LB.  He can rush the QB.  Can he do the other stuff well enough that he is not a 1 trick pony.

They will NOT give Carter a single snap at LB. He is shitty as a LB. They would keep him as a rush end. They will count him as an extra LB/one of the DL and make a cut on the DL. Dimanche has no shot at this roster imo.

Here's my crack at this before the final preseason game...

OFFENSE (25)

QB (2) – Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron

O-Line (9) – Andrew Whitworth, Clint Boling, Russell Bodine, Kevin Zeitler, Andre Smith, Eric Winston, Jake Fisher, Trey Hopkins, TJ Johnson

RB (4) – Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Rex Burkhead, Cedric Peerman

FB (1) – Ryan Hewitt

TE (3) – Tyler Eifert, Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah

WR (6) – AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Muhamed Sanu, Eric Little, Mario Alford, Brandon Tate

DEFENSE (25)

D-Line (10) – Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Pat Sims, Brandon Thompson, Wallace Gilberry, Will Clarke, Marcus Hardison, DeShawn Williams

LB (6) – AJ Hawk, PJ Dawson, Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey, Emanuel Lamur, Chris Carter

CB (5) – Dre Kirkpatrick, Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Darquez Dennard, Josh Shaw

S (4) – George Iloka, Reggie Nelson, Shawn Williams, Derron Smith

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K – Mike Nugent

P – Kevin Huber

LS – Clark Harris

PRACTICE SQUAD – OT Dan France, RB James Wilder Jr, RB Terrell Watson, QB Keith Wenning, DT Devon Still, WR Jake Kumrow, plus whoever's left.....

6 week PUP includes: Ogbieue, Burfict, plus whoever......

OFFENSE (25)

O-Line (9) – Andrew Whitworth, Clint Boling, Russell Bodine, Kevin Zeitler, Andre Smith, Eric Winston, Jake Fisher, Trey Hopkins, TJ Johnson

RB (4) – Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Rex Burkhead, Cedric Peerman  Wilder Jr.

FB (1) – Ryan Hewitt

WR (6) – AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Muhamed Sanu, Eric Little, Mario Alford, Brandon Tate Kumrow

DEFENSE (25)

D-Line (10) – Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Pat Sims, Brandon Thompson, Wallace Gilberry, Will Clarke, Marcus Hardison, DeShawn Williams

LB (6) – AJ Hawk, PJ Dawson, Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey, Emanuel Lamur, Chris Carter, Burfit

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K – Mike Nugent

P – Kevin Huber

LS – Clark Harris

PRACTICE SQUAD – OT Dan France, RB James Wilder Jr, RB Terrell Watson, QB Keith Wenning, DT Devon Still, WR Jake Kumrow, plus whoever's left.....

fixed

Yeah, I thought Hunt looked unwilling to finish the other night.

As for trade talk, I read an interesting "article" last night on reddit that had someone in Philly projecting we make a trade with them: Jake Fisher goes back to Kelly (who apparently badly wanted him in the draft) and we get Jordan Hicks (who we apparently badly wanted (I know I did) and some draft picks).

Almost certainly no merit, but you can't argue with the fact that we are fat on the DL and lean at LB and WR.

I saw a trade scenario earlier today, (I think on Cincy Jungle).  Margus Hunt and a late round

draft pick to the Vikings for Cordarelle Patterson.   I think the reason it was brought up is because

of the relationship between Zimmer and the Bengals.  Zimmer loved Hunt and Cordarelle hasn't 

exactly done anything since his rookie season.  We could replace Tate with Patterson as the #4 WR

and kick off returner.  

I saw a trade scenario earlier today, (I think on Cincy Jungle).  Margus Hunt and a late round

draft pick to the Vikings for Cordarelle Patterson.   I think the reason it was brought up is because

of the relationship between Zimmer and the Bengals.  Zimmer loved Hunt and Cordarelle hasn't 

exactly done anything since his rookie season.  We could replace Tate with Patterson as the #4 WR

and kick off returner.  

I've been advocating that trade for month. I fear it continues to be a pipe dream, but what's a fella to do this time of year but dream...?

And while we're at it, I'd love to trade a CB to OAK for Sio Moore.

and kick off returner.  

That sounds too good to be true.   Patterson would be an elite return option compared to Tate and good potential as a WR. 

OFFENSE (25)

RB (4) – Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Rex Burkhead, Cedric Peerman

FB (1) – Ryan Hewitt

WR (6) – AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Muhamed Sanu, Eric Little, Mario Alford, Brandon Tate

DEFENSE (25)

LB (6) – AJ Hawk, PJ Dawson, Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey, Emanuel Lamur, Chris Carter

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K – Mike Nugent

P – Kevin Huber

LS – Clark Harris

Looks good, though I think they'll end up keeping a 7th LB (Flowers) over a 10th DL (Williams). The LBs are more valuable on special teams and we've tended to get pretty beat up at LB so the extra depth is needed. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Little get cut in favor of somebody cut by another team. He's just a guy and we could really use a more experienced/talented backup WR. 

If there are any trades to be made, I think it would be a WR coming in and a DL going out. 

Silly rabbits. Mike Brown doesn't trade. 

Name the last significant player the Bengals traded for.

I wouldn't call Mike Brown a wheeler dealer, lol.      The Bengals have done trades out of TC.   Taylor Mays?  They also nabbed a former 1st round CB from Seattle can't remember the name?    I think they dump a RB on the Saints for a pick, 1 year. 

Trades involving draft picks have been way more common with the Bengals.   There are multiple key players in this training camp that were obtained with drafts picks from trades.  

Edited by scharm

I wouldn't call Mike Brown a wheeler dealer, lol.      The Bengals have done trades out of TC.   Taylor Mays?  They also nabbed a former 1st round CB from Seattle can't remember the name?    I think they dump a RB on the Saints for a pick, 1 year. 

Trades involving draft picks have been way more common with the Bengals.   There are multiple key players in this training camp that were obtained with drafts picks from trades.  

Can't remember the exact transaction to acquire Taylor Mays, but Mikey very rarely trades for players. He just waits for them to get thrown on the trash heap and rummages. Not that it's a bad approach. A lot of NFL trades have been disasters for certain teams, but then again, there are a lot of what ifs from Mikey not even seemingly considering trading for players.

and kick off returner.  

I would absolutely love this trade 

James Brooks.

Not sure how Ashley Ambrose and Deltha O'Neil got here via trade or something but they did well for awhile.  One went to the pro bowl once as a Bengal.

Ambrose was a Free Agent.    Deltha was a trade. 

Both made pro bowls. 

Edited by scharm

Going off memory but   Dre Kirkpatrick, Gio, Iloka, and Marvin Jones were all obtained from draft picks acquired by trades.      Carson Palmer trade.  Chad Johnson trade, and I think they moved down to grab Zielter and pick up an extra pick and that series of moves generated  those 4 key players.

Pretty strong, IMO.  

Going off memory but   Dre Kirkpatrick, Gio, Iloka, and Marvin Jones were all obtained from draft picks acquired by trades.      Carson Palmer trade.  Chad Johnson trade, and I think they moved down to grab Zielter and pick up an extra pick and that series of moves generated  those 4 key players.

Pretty strong, IMO.  

I was talking about them going after a player under contract with another team via trade. Not players acquired in the draft from teams agressively pursuing Bengals players.