Projecting the Bengals' 53-man roster

I am fickle and very predisposed to the "recency" effect - meaning I place too much emphasis on what I witnessed recently, versus whole body of work.  I don't think I'm alone that way.

Tate was open repeatedly last night even though AJ missed him half the time.  He's in.

Watson sure came back to earth quickly.  Now I think he'll make it to the PS without getting stolen.

Hunt is still an enigma.  How can 6'8 dude bullrush his way into the backfield so consistently and still, despite the wingspan of a condor, miss the freak'in tackle?  Doesn't he make you want to cry?  Or scream?

Carter is in.  Just as good as our other back-up linebackers and has a special skill off the edge.

I am fickle and very predisposed to the "recency" effect - meaning I place too much emphasis on what I witnessed recently, versus whole body of work.  I don't think I'm alone that way.

Tate was open repeatedly last night even though AJ missed him half the time.  He's in.

Watson sure came back to earth quickly.  Now I think he'll make it to the PS without getting stolen.

Hunt is still an enigma.  How can 6'8 dude bullrush his way into the backfield so consistently and still, despite the wingspan of a condor, miss the freak'in tackle?  Doesn't he make you want to cry?  Or scream?

Carter is in.  Just as good as our other back-up linebackers and has a special skill off the edge.

Where was Tate when we really needed him last year? Was he getting open? Fuck what he does against CBs that won't make the other squad's team. He wasn't "repeatedly" open for AJ to miss anyways. He missed him on one good throw down the sideline. At least he didn't throw a fuckin pick like....uh....other QBs do under pressure. Tate was open about as much as he always is in the final pre-season games. We've seen him do this shit before. We've seen him be a complete and utter nonfactor when it comes to actually receiving. Like....what?

Hunt bullrushes against inferior, smaller competition. He also tends to get lucky when he's simply forgotten by shitty untalented OTs, like the sack he could have had that he completely whiffed on. Like....I feel like I'm the only one actually watching this shit sometimes. He is not a football player. He is a big ass man who has absolutely zero pop when he sticks someone. Its like he doesn't want to hit them. Like he thinks his size is good enough.

• Upvote 1

Where was Tate when we really needed him last year? Was he getting open? Fuck what he does against CBs that won't make the other squad's team. He wasn't "repeatedly" open for AJ to miss anyways. He missed him on one good throw down the sideline. At least he didn't throw a fuckin pick like....uh....other QBs do under pressure. Tate was open about as much as he always is in the final pre-season games. We've seen him do this shit before. We've seen him be a complete and utter nonfactor when it comes to actually receiving. Like....what?

Hunt bullrushes against inferior, smaller competition. He also tends to get lucky when he's simply forgotten by shitty untalented OTs, like the sack he could have had that he completely whiffed on. Like....I feel like I'm the only one actually watching this shit sometimes. He is not a football player. He is a big ass man who has absolutely zero pop when he sticks someone. Its like he doesn't want to hit them. Like he thinks his size is good enough.

You are a man with strong opinions.  We'll see shortly whether the coaches agree with your evaluations.  I agree with your frustration with Tate - we sure needed him in the playoffs and he was MIA.  Hunt, however, CAN push first stringers too and his size (and measurables) shouldn't make that a surprise.  His problem is arm tackling instead of crushing people.  

He's big and strong enough to play some DT in a pinch which increases his usefulness.  I really like the guy, but I still think he's our best trade bait.  MJ's injury will influence his retention on the roster.  DeShawn Williams is now our most-likely-to-be-stolen waiver candidate who may not make it to the PS.