Week 1 -- Dalton vs McCarron. Who do you want?

Who would you rather see start at QB week 1 ?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather see start at QB week 1 ?

I'd start Dalton due simply to experience. Chicago's defense isn't very good so we shouldn't make too much of last night's game. For what it's worth, the Browns whipped Tampa last night too. Anyway Dalton should be on a short leash and I'd be fine with giving McCarron a series every game even if Dalton is playing well. 

The way I saw McCarron fastening his helmet, I knew at that moment there was no way he would ever make it as an NFL QB.  Most QBs require years before you should properly judge them, but the way McCarron's hair was parted during the draft process was all I needed to know he's never going to be better than a backup.  

It's not the hair...

It's that damn ugly chest tattoo

He looks like a dumbass with those terrible tattoos. 

This is Andy's team for 2015.

Andy has to play better than he did in 2014 or it might not be Andy's team in 2016. 

McCarron looks like a great 5th round pick even if he's just a backup. Nice work by the Bengals scouting staff and their patience in not reaching earlier in the draft paid off for them.

The 2014 draft class could go down as another in a string of strong drafts by Tobin and company. Hill is a stud and an absolute steal in the 2nd. Finding a solid starter in Bodine in the 4th was nice. Both Dennard and Clarke look like pretty good picks and should see a lot of playing time going forward at premium positions. And AJ in the 5th, as mentioned, was another good pick. It looks like we did really well with the first 5 picks. Even Flowers and Wright in the 6th and 7th look like pretty good picks considering how late they went. 

It's just one guy's opinion, but what I saw from McCarron last night was Andy Dalton Lite.  

He got away with a couple floated balls down the field, but he doesn't have the arm strength to scare the shit out of anybody.  He's pretty accurate, but too often, receivers were catching the ball after a pirouette or picking it off their back hip.  He looked fearless in the pocket, but is a couple steps slower than Dalton when he takes off with the football.  

Given what I've seen of his physical tools in an extremely small sample size, I still believe they are a notch or two below Andy Dalton.  There's simply not enough "poise and leadership" in the world to make up for those shortcomings.  Meanwhile, I'm watching Brett Hundley show of an honest-to-goodness big time arm on NFLN right now...

I really wish I were more optimistic about A.J. McCarron.  The stream I watched last night was awful quality.  Who knows?  Maybe the HD replay will change my mind.

throws a better ball than Dalton

Archived