Here comes the Bengals public defender. No one is down on Gio. But Gio hasn't shown me much since his rookie season. I'm not writing him off but it's an idea that I heard on the radio and it was in interesting. Also why do you feel he would be working next to us? Why aren't you in it too? 

Come on Rumble, you know you have ADHD, you're always looking for the next "Shiny Thing". :P  And I don't hire newbies, that's why they wouldn't be working for me.

Well after tonight's performance I'm sure he'll get cut but I hope they get him to the practice squad. Wilder looked good and Peerman was a beast. I like Watson but I think he'll have to adjust to the pros but I still believe he will be one heck of a back in this league.

I hope they give Gio a chance to shine against the Indy back-ups and evaluate him versus Terrell against similar competition.

dI also want to pay attention to Terrell's catching skills.  Hope they dump a few shorties his way.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it to the PS.  Just a bunch of good runners out there.

If you stayed late at Paul Brown Stadium for the final minutes of the first and third preseason games, perhaps you saw something familiar out of a Cincinnati Bengals running back wearing a somewhat unfamiliar number.

There was No. 31, at 6-foot, 1-inch and 242 pounds getting upfield, showcasing some power at the end of runs, and perhaps some unexpected speed in the open field.

It isn't a coincidence that rookie Terrell Watson bears a stylistic resemblance to the Bengals' No. 32, a 6-1, 235-pound runner who proved last year that his power and speed combination could lead an offense.

"I like Terrell a lot. I think he's going to be a good player," running back Jeremy Hill said. "He's coming along. He runs really hard, so I think that's the great start for him. If he can continue to keep playing hard he'll definitely have a great shot."

Watson, undrafted out of Division II Azusa Pacific University, should get a final opportunity to confirm a spot on the Bengals practice squad Thursday night in Indianapolis in the Bengals' last preseason game.

And he should capitalize on it because, at least to Hill, Watson is already proving he's earned such a shot in practice.

"To me, practice is the most important thing, just coming day in and day out and showing," Hill said. "He's done a great job of practicing. Preseason games, I mean, they're realistic but at the end of they day that's not really the guys that he'll be going against. (They) are not really going to be the guys we play on Sunday. When he goes against our guys in practice, our (starters), that's the best time to really get a look at what he can do. And he's doing a pretty good job."

Which is perhaps why Watson has had some impressive moments this preseason.

In the first game against New York, Watson took a handoff and made a blitzing Giants corner miss in the backfield with a little shoulder dip, and then quickly turned off the edge for a 26-yard run. It was the highlight of a 52-yard fourth quarter effort.

"I think we knew the style of runner he was (and) it was good to see him get into the open field and really down the field and show a little bit more of his speed," Bengals running back coach Kyle Caskey said. "He is a power, downhill-type of runner and that's what he's good at."

But – there is always a "but" when it comes to rookies – Watson also put backup quarterback Keith Wenning in some precarious situations with shaky pass protection attempts.

"He can run. Oh, he can run. But he's got to protect, too," Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said flatly. "You've got to do more than one thing to play for us. But he has run talent. We knew that. He's got to learn how to protect and do all the other things we ask him to do. He can't just be a one-phase guy. Hard to be one phase and play for us. I think he understands that now."

Watson missed the Tampa Bay game with an ankle injury, but returned last week to get nine carries against the Chicago Bears for 41 yards. He was only in the game for one pass however, a Wenning bootleg.

While he didn't have a breakaway run against Chicago, Watson showed his toughness. On his first carry he was contacted by safety Brock Vereen at the 16-yard-line – and finished the run after two other Bears had to help at the 20.

Watson's second run against the Bears showed a quick step through a seam at the line, and he finished the run by taking on three Bears defenders six yards past the line of scrimmage. One of them, safety Anthony Jefferson, was knocked backwards.

When the whistle blew, five Bears had to unpile off the running back.

"I know what type of runner I am," Watson said. "I'm a downhill runner and I make people not want to tackle me. That's who I am. I feel that that's one the best qualities I have."

Watson also showcased an ability to redirect, hit holes decisively, and a little bit of flash with a nifty spin move inside a block for extra yardage.

"It's a natural ability," Watson said. "I've been playing football for 16 years. I know how to get out in open space, you know? Touchdown is north. Touchdown is that way, so that's where I'm going."

Where he would like to get to next is on the roster in some capacity.

The Bengals appear to be set at the position for the 53-man roster, but head coach Marvin Lewis said the most important attribute a practice squad member could bring to the team is an ability to be called up and perform in case of injury.

"The type of runner he is, it does suit us well," Caskey said. "It's the type of run game we like. He is aggressive. We've just got to keep him moving in the right direction with all the other parts of the game."

Watson is out to prove he's ready for that task.

"It's just watching film, be into it at practice and watch what the veterans are doing," he said of his preparation. "Stuff they miss, make sure I know why they missed it and stuff they see, make sure I know why they see it. Taking mental reps pretty much and watching film so when I get an opportunity to go in there it won't be like any lag in the rope, it'll still be tight."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/09/02/bengals-terrell-watson/71555566/

image.jpg

Another example to remember for future seasons, as this happens every year.

For the most part, teams are usually able to get their own undrafted/late-round rookies onto their practice squads without other teams scooping them. It's never 100% guaranteed, but it usually plays out that way. Helps to keep that in mind when people get stressed every preseason about somebody claiming our favorite undrafted guys.

Archived