Can McCarron push Dalton for Bengals’ QB job?

Can McCarron push Dalton for Bengals’ QB job?

Sam Monson examines whether there's anything to the idea of a QB controversy in Cincinnati.

Sam Monson | 15 hours ago
(AP Photo/Frank Victores)

(AP Photo/Frank Victores)

Can AJ McCarron really push Andy Dalton to start in Cincinnati? There’s something to be said about the cliché of the backup quarterback always being the most popular person in town, and the combination of Dalton’s past postseason struggles and McCarron’s college success for a major program (Alabama) makes the Bengals’ QB job one vulnerable to a QB controversy.

However, even with McCarron’s impressive preseason performance against the Bears last week, it’s highly unlikely he is a better option as Cincinnati’s starting QB. If he does ever replace Dalton for reasons other than injury, it will have far more to do with Dalton’s perennial rollercoaster performance than it does McCarron’s consistently impressive tape demanding the job.

McCarron was excellent against the Bears when he came in, completing 12 of 17 passes (70.6 percent) for 149 yards and a score. He had a dropped pass in there, one hit as he threw and two passes thrown away, so if you look at just “aimed” passes, he was 12 of 14 (85.7 percent).  That earned him a +3.1 passing grade and got people talking about his ability to push Dalton to start.

We only need to go back a week though to find him with a -2.0 overall grade for his performance against the Bucs. In that game he completed 6 of 13 attempts for just 46 yards and two interceptions. While his passer rating against Chicago on aimed passes was 134.8, against the Bucs it was just 15.7. He completed just one pass that traveled 10 or more yards past the line of scrimmage, and was also charged for a sack in the game — meaning that one of the times he was sacked he was at fault for the pressure.

These have been McCarron’s first pro passes in real action, so we are dealing with tiny sample sizes, but there is little to suggest that the Bengals should be readying themselves for a switch at quarterback. If, on the other hand, the Bengals are just looking for a cheaper version of the DaltonCoaster ™, maybe they’ve found their man in McCarron.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/02/can-mccarron-push-dalton-for-bengals-qb-job/

I can't believe this guy got this piece of drivel approved. Only way McCarron takes that spot anytime soon is injury or Andy simply lays a few eggs in a row.  I always laugh when people say Brady only took over for Bledsoe because Bledson got hurt and that Bledsoe was a great QB.   Bledsoe had been 13-19 the previous 2 seasons and started off the season 0-2 before he went down and was a mid 70s those two years.   He hadn't been good for years. 

I can't believe this guy got this piece of drivel approved. Only way McCarron takes that spot anytime soon is injury or Andy simply lays a few eggs in a row.  I always laugh when people say Brady only took over for Bledsoe because Bledson got hurt and that Bledsoe was a great QB.   Bledsoe had been 13-19 the previous 2 seasons and started off the season 0-2 before he went down and was a mid 70s those two years.   He hadn't been good for years. 

Hey now, he played reasonably well in part of a preseason game - obviously he is destined for greatness!

Still too early to say McCarron is a better alternative than Dalton but his  preseason ability to hit his receivers in stride and deliver under pressure has been  encouraging

If Dalton struggles the pressure from the fans is going to be unbearable

Still too early to say McCarron is a better alternative than Dalton but his  preseason ability to hit his receivers in stride and deliver under pressure has been  encouraging

If Dalton struggles the pressure from the fans is going to be unbearable

The fans don't really give a shit about Mikey, why should he give a shit about them?

The fans don't really give a shit about Mikey, why should he give a shit about them?

I'm talking about the pressure Dalton is going to endure,  the boos got to Palmer and he didn't have a better alternative waiting in line,  Dalton is going to be brutalized if he struggles

While I don't disagree with this statement, I am not sure what it has to do with AJ Mc and Andy.  I am sure Marvin makes that call.

I'm talking about the pressure Dalton is going to endure,  the boos got to Palmer and he didn't have a better alternative waiting in line,  Dalton is going to be brutalized if he struggles

Booing mouth breathers in the stands are not everywhere? Ever been to Philadelphia or New York?

If Dalton starts having games like last year's Cleveland game - forget all this entitled player bullshit.  At that point you bench him and try the next guy.  I'm amused by commentators (and coaches, for that matter), who act like playing QB in the NFL is damn near impossible, so if you've got a known quantity you stay with him almost no matter what.  No one knows how a player will deal with game day.  Hell, five years ago if someone had told me the extent to which Dalton would choke in big games, I would have laughed in their face and said no way.  There's another side to that coin as well, but you'll never know unless you give the player a chance.  

I'm just happy the Josh Johnson experiment is over.

Beyond that, no, there's no fucking way McCooter is ready to push Dalton.

Every sideline out McCarron has thrown has looked like a moon ball, and I'm guessing he was well on his way to being sacked a half dozen times in the last game.

There is a difference in the speed of the game between preseason and regular season.   You just don't know how a young player is going to handle it.   That's why many get their chance via injury.    My guess is it will take an injury for AJ to play.

If AJ McCarron ever plays for us it means this franchise is garbage. The positive is it will lead us to getting a top pick and a shot at a potential franchise QB.

Not sure where you are getting this.   Here are the facts:

Bengals rumored to like Murray and McCaaron.   They take AJ right after Murray was taken.  Both players fell in the draft about a round maybe two. 

Bengals did hide him on PUP list.

reports had AJ impressive in OTAs.

coaches declared they think they have a starter potential in him.

From mock game through preseason he's proved those reports as accurate.  

Not sure where you are getting this.   Here are the facts:

Bengals rumored to like Murray and McCaaron.   They take AJ right after Murray was taken.  Both players fell in the draft about a round maybe two. 

Bengals did hide him on PUP list.

reports had AJ impressive in OTAs.

coaches declared they think they have a starter potential in him.

From mock game through preseason he's proved those reports as accurate.  

He's also shown that he is a poor mans Dalton. His arm is weaker and he plays the same style. The only difference is he's the backup so he gets glorified and he was on a stacked college teams that won a ton and not because of him.

as for this article.

its obviously nonsesne from a facts standpoint alone. we all(should) know the bengals better, there is no QB controversy, never will be, the job is either yours or its not. 

two things make andy not the starter all year:

1. injury

2. out of the playoffs by week 10, then you get mccarron in to finish the season and see what he has to offer. this is unlikely, the defense and RB's are good enough to keep us in the playoff hunt. 

so pretty much just injury..

Archived