Roger Goodell Death Knell?

ColdWarrior

Hail, hail, the witch is dead!  Which old witch? The wicked witch!

I have to believe that the deflategate Brady ruling is the final straw to get Goodell removed from the commissioner's throne.  That is, at least, what he thought it was.  A Throne.

Well, the courts have set him straight.  The NFL is a business and businesses have to abide by the rules of business law, including all those nasty human resources laws and policies which attempt to create some semblance of fairness.  They don't get to serve as judge and arbitrator using kangaroo court investigators.

I know the owners initially liked his role cleaning up a horrible public relations mess with chronic player misbehavior (like during the Bengals bad old days) and he certainly played the necessary bad-guy during CBA negotiations, but how long were the owners going to tolerate a guy who gets boo'ed by the fans every time he walks on stage at the draft?  He's become the symbol of NFL power abuse and monopoly.

The players hate him, the fans hate him, and now the courts agree that he was out of control.  Now the owners, who mostly LOVED how much money he was generating, will have to pretend that his capricious judgments were too over-the-top and tone-deaf to the public and players.

I predict the new commissioner gets a standing ovation next April/May at the draft in Chicago.

Have no idea.    But Goodell has gotten his ass kicked in the public for a while.     On one hand the NFL is in the headlines year round.    On the other hand it's been fueled by public opinion over scandals created by Goodell that he never wins.  In about every case it could have been handled much better with way less public discussion.

Back when the Bengals were on the police blotter constantly.   I said the NFL needs to get out of this discipline/investigation business.      Most of the interest on the public is driven by the player being off the field which drives public interest to be more intense and keeps the story in the headlines longer.

Something like a deflated ball needs to be handled like excessive stick'em on gloves or linemen covering themselves in grease.   No need for the months of dumbness seen from Ray Rice's video tape, deflategate, bountygate, bullygate or whatever.

Archived