Bengals' season comes down to 1 game in postseason

There will be plenty there again this year. Hopefully CincyinDc leaves some for everyone else... ...or I'll just bring more that day. emoji2.png

There's a distillery here in Las Vegas, and I'm planning on bringing something for the group. It might suck though, so let's drink yours first... 

Palmer had so much heart he quit, or so goes the spin.

It's bullshit.

And Chad and TJ quit too, each in their own unprofessional way.

In fact, all three of them not only quit in some fashion before they left Cincy, all three conspired to do as much damage as possible before they left.

Because that's what you do when you have heart, right?

Palmer waged a passive aggressive war against the Bengals by ironically hiding behind the money he was paid to be a franchise player. His refusal to continue playing for the franchise afforded him the luxury of inflicting the most damage possible on the franchise, all by doing and saying nothing, as if the prick didn't owe anyone an explanation for quitting. Later the Bengals make out like bandits by trading Palmer away, but that was no thanks to Palmer. His selfish actions caused deliberate harm to this franchise and if he had gotten his way the damage would have been far greater.

More heart?

Chad claimed he was one of the poorest paid WRs in the NFL, conveniently ignoring the then massive signing bonus he had already been paid, and during Super Bowl week that year he launched into what would become a six-month long media waged hissy fit against the Bengals. The Bengals waited him out and Chad eventually half-assed it back to Cincy for the paycheck. But because he had convinced himself he was underpaid he no longer gave full effort and half assed it the rest of his time here, because that's what players with heart do. Finally dumped years later in a trade he promptly goes to a championship team and becomes a punchline, a veteran WR who can't learn a simple playbook that isn't drawn in crayon. In short order he's out of the NFL and the reality show business.

Not to be outdone, TJ Housh also ignored the way the Bengals had made him a star by focusing on his strengths while ignoring the weaknesses no other team would, a fact that would soon become all too clear in Seattle, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc. Making the story perfect is how Housh once bragged about not negotiating in good faith with the Bengals during free agency, using them only to drive up his price in Seattle. Faster than you can say overhyped journeyman Housh was quickly exposed in Seattle and shitcanned without ceremony or fanfare, a fate he could have avoided simply by being less of a dick.

Add it all up and the 2005 team is a perfect example of the very thing so many haters claim the current Bengals fanbase is guilty of. 

They were a team completely satisfied with achieving a playoff berth, and when it wasn't handed to them on a platter all of it's most celebrated star players eventually quit trying. 

LOL, yeah lets blame the best players on the team who were the only reason they won games and ignore the fact that the first 5 years Palmer was here, the defense was ranked 28th, 19th, 28th, 30th and 27th.

Yeah, lets pretend our coaching staff and front office was holding players accountable like Chris Henry, Odell, Chad etc...  I mean do you honestly think these players get away with any of the crap you posted above on the Stealers, Patriots, Packers, etc..?  Fuck no.    Odell, isn't even drafted by any of those teams. 

The 2005 team was a fun to watch.  Had all the makings of a great team if they could have figured out how to play defense and the coaches had done their jobs.  Of course, having watched Marvin led teams going on 13 years now, discipline has never been part of the program.  Oh, and the fact that we made Justin Smith look ordinary here is all the proof you need to the ineptitude that was our defensive coaching staff.

The down fall of the 2005 squad legacy was caused by the amount of games loss due to injury and off the field behavior in the seasons following.

Very similar to post 1988 Bengals.   Injuries and Victoria C took so much young talent off the field. 

2006 would see Braham, Odell, Tab Perry, Pollack never touch the field again after the 2nd game.  In addition several draft picks were removed from the squad like Brooks.   Kenny Irons would never touch the field.    Then career changing injuries to Chris Perry and Levi Jones. 

Any franchise would struggle to maintain performance given the number of losses in such a short period of time. 

You were bragging about that team having heart the current team lacks.

I gave you examples of three from 2005 who quit before they left.

You immediately respond by describing those future quitters as the only reason they won, and then try to change the subject to something other than the heartless, gutless, and wholly unprofession actions of the three quitters you still adore. (slurp)

It seems to me the current group of 4-peaters deserves far more respect than 2005s one-hit wonders, especially for the way it's emerged mostly unscathed from the Carson Palmer's attempt to leave the Bengals in the worst possible condition imaginable

You were bragging about that team having heart the current team lacks.

I gave you examples of three from 2005 who quit before they left.

You immediately respond by describing those future quitters as the only reason they won, and then try to change the subject to something other than the heartless, gutless, and wholly unprofession actions of the three quitters you still adore. (slurp)

It seems to me the current group of 4-peaters deserves far more respect than 2005s one-hit wonders, especially for the way it's emerged mostly unscathed from the Carson Palmer's attempt to leave the Bengals in the worst possible condition imaginable

I never said the current team doesn't have heart.   Yeah, elite athletes decided to quit on Marvin and the Bengals,  why is that a surprise?   The organization was a running joke by 2009.  Seriously, the TO and Ocho show?  For whatever reason Carson left,  the only people who blame him are Bengals fans.  Talk to anyone else and they will same the same thing, " I don't blame him."  Yeah, things are better now but it has taken a VERY long time to get to somewhat respectable. 

For whatever reason Carson left,  the only people who blame him are Bengals fans. 

Who did you think was going to care?

Fans of teams he never played for?

And how funny is it that years later you still have to guess why he left?

Truth be told you were going to swallow whatever excuse he gave, but Palmer knew he could count on you without bothering to say anything at all.

The 2005 team was an absolute blast and fun as hell to watch.   Carson was throwing the ball all over the place, Rudi was running bitches over and our defense bent like crazy but pulled ints and fumbles out of their asses.   Justin Smith sacking big Jen late in the 4th quarter on 4th and 13 in Pittspuke to seal the victory was FUCKING epic.   Don't ever talk bad about this team....they had heart.  

Oh yeah, the same heart-filled team that had TWO 10-point leads after the a Quitter assassination, and did not hold them?

I never said the current team doesn't have heart.   Yeah, elite athletes decided to quit on Marvin and the Bengals,  why is that a surprise?   The organization was a running joke by 2009.  Seriously, the TO and Ocho show?  For whatever reason Carson left,  the only people who blame him are Bengals fans.  Talk to anyone else and they will same the same thing, " I don't blame him."  Yeah, things are better now but it has taken a VERY long time to get to somewhat respectable. 

Except they signed TO at Carson's request.

All of the bitching on the boards is laughable to me.  Born In 68 and been a diehard fan since I can remember.  Moved out to the western slope of Colorado in 2000 and been one of the lone Bengals fans in the area since I got here. Every week I go to a sports bar to watch the games surrounded by Bronco and Squeeler fans. Driving over 2 major mountain passes in the middle of winter to see the Bengals play the Donkeys outside in the freezing cold at night.  It's ok to be critical of the team and organization, but  some people who are fans seem to just be negative about everything. I'm not pollyanic or a fan of a team like the Browns and predicting a super bowl every year when we win less than we loose, but enjoy the ride.  Maybe it's just that some people just enjoy being negative

All of the bitching on the boards is laughable to me.  Born In 68 and been a diehard fan since I can remember.  Moved out to the western slope of Colorado in 2000 and been one of the lone Bengals fans in the area since I got here. Every week I go to a sports bar to watch the games surrounded by Bronco and Squeeler fans. Driving over 2 major mountain passes in the middle of winter to see the Bengals play the Donkeys outside in the freezing cold at night.  It's ok to be critical of the team and organization, but  some people who are fans seem to just be negative about everything. I'm not pollyanic or a fan of a team like the Browns and predicting a super bowl every year when we win less than we loose, but enjoy the ride.  Maybe it's just that some people just enjoy being negative

Welcome to the board, and I think you hit it on the head with your last point. I moved west from the Dayton area in 1997, ending up in Las Vegas in 1999. There is an underlying pessimism in that area of the state/country that is almost palpable. I never really noticed it until I moved away, but holy shit are people cynical there, including my own family. I don't know that it's as bad in Cincinnati as up in Dayton, but people there just like to bitch, lol. Perhaps it's the sunlight deprivation during the winter...  

Fresh outside perspective is not welcome here.

(welcome!)

Archived