new Apple TV discussion...

GoBengals

This is probably the announcement i was most excited for, sadly the tv subscription serves got pushed off until next year, but the new apple tv is great, the mirroring from iphone, i pad, and macbook alone are super handy, but the new one with the games, kids will love, so games i have on ipad or iphone, can be played on apple tv with remote as wwell (some of them), the media searching is useful, searching hulu, netflix, itunes, etc for actor or show or movie is cool, i have sometimes bought a movie or rented it to find out it was also on netflix.. once the tv subscriptions hit and if i can get sunday ticket, directv will be over..

anyone else stoked for these things?

I have all 3 between Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV. Have to say all my kids care for is Youtube (watching people play games and comment on it like that Southpark episode), so the Roku is just fine for them. And the Fire TV already does what the new Apple TV box does. But I agree with you, the subscription a la carte TV could be a big winner, provided the streaming is good and comcast doesn't decide to "throttle" bandwith and implement a data cap to ensure they don't lose cable TV subscribers

i do fear comcast whores and the throttling...

if anyone can rape and pillage comcast in court  battle, its apple though..

apple tv beats the amazon fire for me ONLY due to my other apple things, i was watching a show at lunch on netflix on my ipad, paused it, came home was watching it while kids wee playing xbox, they stopped, i hit share to TV, it autoopens the apple tv, netflix and starts where i was watching..

so just the integration... and mirroring all devices to TV is handy more often than i expected...especially this time of year..

i have also had both, had two roku's gave away or sold both, got the fire stick for $19 last year, like it, but never use it.. smart tv and amazon stick are about the same..

the games and apps for apple tv will be solid..

That is my understanding, yes...

sunday ticket as in live streaming games?

Be careful. It's not "live" streaming. It's NFL Gamepass. You will be able to stream the games of your choice after the game was played, possibly even have to wait until the national broadcast are done as well. Since I don't enjoy at all knowing the score before I see the game, I have to unfortunately still stick with my current provider. DirecTV still currently holds all live national broadcasting rights.

Copy and paste below:

The new Game Pass service coming to Apple TV will mark the first time that users have access to watch full NFL games on the device, although the service won’t offer any live streams of regular season, playoff, and Super Bowl game broadcasts. Currently, the Apple TV has an app called “NFL Now” that only offers access to breaking news, analysis, and on-demand highlights and video archives. 

Be careful. It's not "live" streaming. It's NFL Gamepass. You will be able to stream the games of your choice after the game was played, possibly even have to wait until the national broadcast are done as well. Since I don't enjoy at all knowing the score before I see the game, I have to unfortunately still stick with my current provider. DirecTV still currently holds all live national broadcasting rights.

Copy and paste below:

The new Game Pass service coming to Apple TV will mark the first time that users have access to watch full NFL games on the device, although the service won’t offer any live streams of regular season, playoff, and Super Bowl game broadcasts. Currently, the Apple TV has an app called “NFL Now” that only offers access to breaking news, analysis, and on-demand highlights and video archives. 

Thanks for the clarification, but in some instances it does include live streaming:

https://nflst.directv.com/

I happen to qualify...  :1hump:

How, do you already subscribe to DirecTV? Don't you have to have that MAX package extra subscription ($49.95 on top of sunday ticket) for that to work?

Per their Site (emphasis mine):

Can't get DIRECTV? Stream NFL SUNDAY TICKET games live online with NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV — now available in more cities and on more streaming devices than ever. That means more fans can watch every out-of-market NFL game, every Sunday afternoon, without a DIRECTV satellite TV account. So pick your package and suit up for 2015 NFL action.

Where I live precludes my getting a DIRECTV dish (not that I was interested), and per my address I qualify for this (though I'm still unlikely to shell out for it as it is expensive).  

Just read it will only have 200mb reserved for apps. Not sure how much gaming can be done with that. 

that would be odd, since its a 32 or 64gb device, what else would be stored on it other than apps? i would assume all of the storage is for apps.. all media is streamed, movies, music, etc.

ah just googled, the APPS themselves are limited to 200mb in size.. thus you cant have a 1gb app, etc.. but all of the storage is open for apps..

and apps can use more than the 200mb of space, however the extra data will be downloaded and stored  on-demand, so 5 huge apps dont hog the whole thing..

Archived