The Beautiful, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Oakland Edition

As for good bad uglies...

Funny how so few are mentioning Dalton as beautiful.  Well, sort of funny sad. I seem to remember some saying he'd never overthrow AJ.  I remember him doing that before, but that was really his only errant pass of the day but for a couple of high ones to TEs.  Of those, I don't mind high to Eifert,  That guy can jump 20 feet high and in some situations you're putting it where no one else can.  The pass to Hewitt was similar, only Hewitt doesn't have Eifert's ups. 

Sanu looked good, as did Jones (I was surprised MJ didn't get more chances).

I wasn't thrilled with our run blocking.  They had a couple of amazing plays, but lots of clogged lanes.  Pass blocking was lights out.

Defensive line got some pressure, but we need more.  MJ simply isn't providing much from his side.  Atkins and Dunlap need that one other piece to complete the pressure puzzle.

Carter stood out on ST.

Aside from the penalties, ugliest play of the day?

AJ dropping another TD.

As for good bad uglies...

Funny how so few are mentioning Dalton as beautiful.  Well, sort of funny sad. I seem to remember some saying he'd never overthrow AJ.  I remember him doing that before, but that was really his only errant pass of the day but for a couple of high ones to TEs.  Of those, I don't mind high to Eifert,  That guy can jump 20 feet high and in some situations you're putting it where no one else can.  The pass to Hewitt was similar, only Hewitt doesn't have Eifert's ups. 

Sanu looked good, as did Jones (I was surprised MJ didn't get more chances).

I wasn't thrilled with our run blocking.  They had a couple of amazing plays, but lots of clogged lanes.  Pass blocking was lights out.

Defensive line got some pressure, but we need more.  MJ simply isn't providing much from his side.  Atkins and Dunlap need that one other piece to complete the pressure puzzle.

Carter stood out on ST.

Aside from the penalties, ugliest play of the day?

AJ dropping another TD.

I have no problem saying Dalton looked fantastic today.  Hell, I think everyone on this board WANTS him to play great every week!  He had no turnovers, his throws had a lot of zip, he was extremely accurate, and he got everyone involved.  Give a big credit to the Offensive Line for giving him plenty of time to throw today.  If Andy can play even close to that the rest of the year, and the team stays healthy, I see no reason why we can't make a deep run in the playoffs.

Didn't read all this but not riding hill kind of pissed me off. After his first td they pulled him for awhile. It seemed. I drafted eifert in my league so pretty stoked. 

It looked to me like Oakland was keying on him in the second half.  The caries he did get went for little gain.

Finally saw it

The Good

Oline gave Andy all kinds of time, I thought Fisher played well for his first regular season game. 

Dline even though we only had the one sack and the one fumble recovery Carr was not comfortable in the pocket much at all

Tyler Eiffert, hopefully he stays healthy and plays like that the rest of the season.

Run game, Jeremey HIll is special, and Gio did his part too.

Dalton. Had a pretty accurate day and was able to find the underneath stuff pretty well

Adam Jones and the 2ndary, Adam was aggressive even removing that bad helmet removal

The Bad

AJ's dropped TD, he needs to work on the drops too many easy ones for my taste

The Ugly

The taunting penalties, and Adam Jones. Illoka's could have gone either way for me and I thought was a bit tickey-tackey, Dre's was obvious, I will be suprised if Adam doesnt get a game or two suspension for that.

If Suh, a repeat offender on the field, can get a fine with no suspension for leg stomping I'm thinking Adam should get something similar.

Yeah well there was some "I didn't mean to do it" excuse that was used in the case of Suh.  I certainly didn't buy it but some did.  I don't think Pac Man will have much of an explanation and Roger hates him.  Expect the worst. 

The Good

Eifert - It took less than a quarter to show how much the Bengals lost last season when Eifert went down. Best, he did all of his damage from the LOS instead of lining up in the backfield, as he did so often in his rookie season. The Bengals finally have their anti-Gresham at TE and Andy Dalton is a better QB for it.

Dalton - Decisive and in control throughout. Took downfield shots when they were there, hit half of them, and avoided trouble brilliantly by checking down to the backs.

Gio - Answered the preseason question "What's wrong with Gio?" so well you have to wonder a bit about the people who questioned Bernard in the first place.

Defense - The pass rush was decent, the linebackers were solid, and the defensive secondary dominated to a point where they were able to impose their will.

The Bad

AJ Green dropped another potential TD pass that his him in the hands, which must have been a tremendous shock to the tiny group of Bengal fanboys who keep insisting he doesn't actually do that.

Iloka and Kirkpatrick selfishly turned great defensive plays into personal foul penalties.

The Ugly

The Bengals offense burned through timeouts as if that was a bigger goal than scoring points.

Everyones dream of a defensive shutout evaporated so quickly you were sort of embarrassed you thought of it at all.

Is there a stat anywhere that shows batted balls by QB?

But with regards to dalton, 3 real questions...

1. Is it daltons fault by staring down the receiver, not pump faking, etc?

2. Is it the lines fault for not engaging the defender enough? Seemed all three were on the guy Z was blocking. Is it his fault?

3. Is it just something thats gonna happen with a shorter qb like dalton and theres really just not a ton you can do about it?

Honest questions, I'm not sure what the answers are.

It was the DL changing what they were doing. A couple of their post game quotes said Dalton was getting rid of the ball so fast they would stop rushing and get their hands up to try to swat a pass to make him start holding it longer. 

Big news of the day to me is the incredibly solid perimeter tackling by our DBs.  Adam Jones had a dumbass penalty, but he was sensational with his open field tackling.  Leon Hall suddenly reappeared, and Dennard brought the boom I've been expecting from him since watching MSU.   In fact, the open field tackling all around was quite solid today. 

Hall is healthy again and had a normal offseason. I expect him to have a very good year. Especially with less wear and tear by having other corners taking snaps from him too.

I cant believe any of you miserable bastards have any "bads" on your lists. I feel sorry for you that you cant just enjoy a win. What a bunch of sad sacks.

:ninja:

Now I see how this works... I'm learning from the boards top posters how to criticize other fans the right way from the gameday thread.

2nd string D was kinda weak, no idea why McCooter & most of the other b-team offense wasn't in by the 4th, AJ's drop was not worth $15m & Jones trying to crush dude's skull was fucking dumb.

Otherwise that was close to a textbook ass-whuppin

It was the first game and no one had played 4 quarters yet. You have to make sure the players cardio is ready to handle 4 quarters. I didn't want them to pull anyone yesterday. Make sure everyone is ready for when a game is close and stressful late in a 4th quarter.

It was the first game and no one had played 4 quarters yet. You have to make sure the players cardio is ready to handle 4 quarters. I didn't want them to pull anyone yesterday. Make sure everyone is ready for when a game is close and stressful late in a 4th quarter.

:lol: 

Believe it or not I said much the same thing yesterday.  They did rest a couple guys, mostly on defense but Fisher got in the game for Whit there at the end & did OK. I just watched a clip to make sure & saw him getting in the face of some Raider after a play.  Gotta like that in him if he hopes to fill Whit's shoes one day.

:lol: 

Believe it or not I said much the same thing yesterday.  They did rest a couple guys, mostly on defense but Fisher got in the game for Whit there at the end & did OK. I just watched a clip to make sure & saw him getting in the face of some Raider after a play.  Gotta like that in him if he hopes to fill Whit's shoes one day.

I remember a lot of retired players saying until they played that first 4 quarter game they felt like they didn't have their lungs back. No conditioning in practice/weight room will prep them for football game cardio. They always seemed to feel like after they played their first full game they would have their lungs back where they need to be. I can understand that. It would have sucked it someone got hurt late though. Luckily, they didn't. 

Probably in the beautiful category Dalton led Sanu and he caught it right in stride and it went down the sideline for about 20+ yards.     Looked like a CFL highlight.

Dalton had a really good game, a few miscues but even the best have those. He was pretty damn good, and that play was nice

They as professionals have that responsibility, there is no more real offseason it's not the 80s anymore.

They as professionals have that responsibility, there is no more real offseason it's not the 80s anymore.

I don't know.   Coaches are in a tough spot, IMO.     New practice rules limit a lot of stuff that team's need to do.   I think it's been clear since that agreement that the first couple weeks of the regular season look like an extension of training camp.

Clearly don't want a key player getting hurt but they need meaningful full speed and contact reps.        Last season we saw a late concussion to AJ Green take him off the field for the playoffs.  

Tough call, IMO.

Archived