The Beautiful, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Oakland Edition

I don't know.   Coaches are in a tough spot, IMO.     New practice rules limit a lot of stuff that team's need to do.   I think it's been clear since that agreement that the first couple weeks of the regular season look like an extension of training camp.

Clearly don't want a key player getting hurt but they need meaningful full speed and contact reps.        Last season we saw a late concussion to AJ Green take him off the field for the playoffs.  

Tough call, IMO.

None of that precludes these guys from doing work on their own outside. Cardio is not a thing where you can only get it during the games and practices. That can be simulated.

They as professionals have that responsibility, there is no more real offseason it's not the 80s anymore.

It is impossible to get in football shape by running in practice and shit. You can't create the adrenaline that happens from a real game. I used to run 8 miles a day and also run all out sprints at one point and when my basketball league started back up the adrenaline from competing at something where I would run and exert way less energy than needed for 8 miles and sprints would wipe me out fast the first week. There is no way my adrenaline rush from a BS basketball league can come anywhere near the level for an NFL player playing in front of 60,000 nutty people and competing against the most elite in the world.

The Good

Eifert - It took less than a quarter to show how much the Bengals lost last season when Eifert went down. Best, he did all of his damage from the LOS instead of lining up in the backfield, as he did so often in his rookie season. The Bengals finally have their anti-Gresham at TE and Andy Dalton is a better QB for it.

Dalton - Decisive and in control throughout. Took downfield shots when they were there, hit half of them, and avoided trouble brilliantly by checking down to the backs.

Gio - Answered the preseason question "What's wrong with Gio?" so well you have to wonder a bit about the people who questioned Bernard in the first place.

Defense - The pass rush was decent, the linebackers were solid, and the defensive secondary dominated to a point where they were able to impose their will.

The Bad

AJ Green dropped another potential TD pass that his him in the hands, which must have been a tremendous shock to the tiny group of Bengal fanboys who keep insisting he doesn't actually do that.

Iloka and Kirkpatrick selfishly turned great defensive plays into personal foul penalties.

The Ugly

The Bengals offense burned through timeouts as if that was a bigger goal than scoring points.

Everyones dream of a defensive shutout evaporated so quickly you were sort of embarrassed you thought of it at all.

Spot on assessment

Beautiful: Andy Motherfucker. He can be a bad man when he gets protection. Consistency is key, but you've gotta love what he gave us. His pocket presence seemed better. He's gotta continue to relax back there and take what they give them.

O-Line. Andre Smith is underrated by a lot of our fans, i feel. He absolutely handled his side of the line. Whit played like Whit and was just a badass as well. 

Personally, I love the energy coming from our defensive guys. I mean I would say they're bullies if it was any other team doing it to us. But when Pac man was doing his thing with Cooper, Reggie standing there next to him kinda just staring him down and mean mugging him too, and Iloka walking by and looking on.....man. It feels good to be on that side of the bullying after seemingly an eternity on the other side. These motherfuckers are mean. 

Even better since Pac man isn't getting suspended lol.

GOOD

The tackling by the secondary was exceptionally good. Every member of the starting group laid a big lick or made an excellent tackle.

The offensive play calling seemed to be very effective. I loved seeing them move a lineman out to WR to block for screens or to draw the defense to that side thinking that was the play that was going down.

Aside from AJ's drop and some early stuffs on Gio, the offense was deadly today.

BAD

AJ and Andy still seem to be out of sync on the deep toss. AJ had the defender beat twice and they missed both times.

Beautiful:

- O-line pass pro: dominant

- Eifert : dominant

Good:

- O-line run blocking

- Dalton: great job; accurate and consistent, poised in the pocket

- Despite what the announcers would have you believe, Atkins was tearing up the Raiders O-line despite being double teamed.

- The defense put the hammer down most of the day, but it would have been nice if the backups could have kept the shutout going.

- Gio is back

- Standing up to the Raiders dirty play (and dominating them in the first place, precipitating the Raiders' desperation)

- A refreshed Leon Hall being shot out of a cannon on swings and other plays in the flat.  This guy is a weapon when used in these specialized situations.

Bad:

- Typical Bengals/Lewis second half on offense: opponent defense adjusts, Bengals do not.  If not for the big first half lead it would likely have been yet another nail-biter.

- Second unit on defense and special teams with embarrassing screw ups during personnel switches.

Ugly:

- Stupid, unnecessary taunting penalties

Late to the party (really like the insights in this weekly thread) but a couple I thought of in addition that may already be on here.

The Good

Gronkowski (whatever) was the last Eifert only nowhere near as good.

Really liked Hue's multiple players changing alinement at the line of scrimmage (Fisher a wide out? wow!).  MUCH better than Andy in the shotgun on first down or not dropping back to pass from under center.

The Not So Good

Peko is more and more of a liability and should be on the inactive list rather than Brandon Thompson and Margus Hunt. At least Hunt gets into the backfield rather than pushed off the line and out of the play.

Gio... still reminds me too much of Archie Griffin... gets stuffed at/behind the line more often than breaking one and goes down too easily.

Still shades of Marvinball... poor clock management/time outs, too many men on the field, and moronic penalties (taunting and Pacanimal pounding the rook's head into his helmet) Got away with it Sunday but that kind of thing has hurt us before and can come back to haunt again)

Wonder if that win will affect us in the future.  Like this Sunday.  Come out overconfident and flat like there is a tendency to do.  Wait and see.

But good game and good start to the season.  Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore shitting the bed made it all the more enjoyable.

The Ugly

Cleveland's uniforms.  I thought it was some sort of joke.  Seriously.

The Not So Good

Peko is more and more of a liability and should be on the inactive list rather than Brandon Thompson and Margus Hunt. At least Hunt gets into the backfield rather than pushed off the line and out of the play.

Ya Peko sucks :ninja::ninja:   #whatgamewereyouwatching

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/643535093492019200

Ya Peko sucks :ninja::ninja:   #whatgamewereyouwatching

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/643535093492019200

Actually, I'm talking about the Peko that has NO stats from yesterday's game

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=CIN

Not sure of the point of the video but he looks like a dancing bear stood up at the line.  As usual.

Actually, I'm talking about the Peko that has NO stats from yesterday's game

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=CIN

Not sure of the point of the video but he looks like a dancing bear stood up at the line.  As usual.

dude peko is mauling that guy. His arms are up in the air his feet arnt set. peko's killin the dude. wtf are you watching?

Just stats, apparently. 

Yep football is more then a boxscore. This isnt baseball. Im pretty sure whit isnt on the stat sheet either. Guess he must have had a shitty day. Or how bought our hback dont see his stats either. Guess he didnt throw anyblocks for hill. Football is about nonstat plays as well as the ones that get recorded on paper man. Thats what makes it so great.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Beautiful:

- O-line pass pro: dominant

- Eifert : dominant

Good:

- O-line run blocking

- Dalton: great job; accurate and consistent, poised in the pocket

- Despite what the announcers would have you believe, Atkins was tearing up the Raiders O-line despite being double teamed.

- The defense put the hammer down most of the day, but it would have been nice if the backups could have kept the shutout going.

- Gio is back

- Standing up to the Raiders dirty play (and dominating them in the first place, precipitating the Raiders' desperation)

- A refreshed Leon Hall being shot out of a cannon on swings and other plays in the flat.  This guy is a weapon when used in these specialized situations.

Bad:

- Typical Bengals/Lewis second half on offense: opponent defense adjusts, Bengals do not.  If not for the big first half lead it would likely have been yet another nail-biter.

- Second unit on defense and special teams with embarrassing screw ups during personnel switches.

Ugly:

- Stupid, unnecessary taunting penalties

Lol your complaining because the Bengals didnt make 2nd half adjustments. You are a moron. They were up 33-0 before the Raiders even crossed midfield. The Bengals took out some starters in the 4th or it probably wouldve been worse.

I re-watched the game and Geno Atkins only had one sack in the game but he was getting to the QB so fast. Just didnt get sacks because they get the ball out so quickly. The rush defense was great. All I heard was Latavias Murray was a must start in fantasy. Adam Jones doesnt deserve the critisism on the talk shows today. Cooper had his hand up inside Jones facemask and took Jones to the ground. He deserves half the fine Jones will probably receive. Dalton was spot on on every throw but one, the first deep ball to Green. Absolutely nothing bad about that performance.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Lol your complaining because the Bengals didnt make 2nd half adjustments. You are a moron. They were up 33-0 before the Raiders even crossed midfield. The Bengals took out some starters in the 4th or it probably wouldve been worse.

I think I'm well supported by Marvin himself coming out in his most recent press conference with:

"I think one of the key things that we have to do better is that opening drive in the third quarter. That’s a key drive and we didn’t do well enough with that. Again, something else to do better. We are generally going to defer (if winning the coin toss), and we had an opportunity for back-to-back possessions in the game, so we need to take advantage of the possession coming out after halftime."

Get it now?  They came out completely flat in the second half.  Did you pay attention to the Lions - Chargers game? You think 24 points is a gimme in this league?  That was their opportunity to "put their foot on their throats" and they instead gave them back momentum.  It doesn't matter that the Raiders suck and couldn't take advantage of it, that is classic Marvinball and if it doesn't change, this season will look a lot like seasons past. 

Next time bring some real observations to the table.

Archived