Pacman Jones likely to be fined but not suspended for Amari Cooper incident

Pacman Jones likely to be fined but not suspended for Amari Cooper incident

Adam "Pacman" Jones is likely to be fined for slamming Amari Cooper's head into his helmet Sunday but will not be suspended, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The incident will be reviewed by the NFL as part of its normal review process.

The Cincinnati Bengals' cornerback told ESPN that he wasn't expecting a punishment to come following his involvement in the controversial play that featured offsetting penalties.

Asked if he anticipated a fine or suspension, he simply replied: "No."

Although officials clearly missed it, cameras caught Jones on top of Cooper, the Oakland Raiders' top draft pick, slapping at the wide receiver's helmet hard enough that it came off. As soon as it did, Jones grabbed Cooper's head and slammed it once into the helmet while Cooper was on his back underneath the veteran corner.

"Whatever you saw happen, that's what happened," Jones said. "I'm just here to play football. I don't back down from anybody and I'm not out here trying to start anything. I'm just out here playing football."

Cooper said he thought if officials had seen the play occur, they would have enacted a harsher penalty, such as ejecting Jones. Overall, though, he wasn't bothered by the play.

"I mean, it's football," Cooper said. "It's a physical game so you kind of expect it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13654762/pacman-jones-cincinnati-bengals-facing-likely-fine-no-ban-of

Adam Jones won’t be suspended for helmet slam

Wild Card Playoffs - Cincinnati Bengals v Indianapolis Colts

Getty Images

It looks like Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper will get what he wanted after having his helmet removed and his head slammed into it by Bengals cornerback Adam Jones during Cincinnati’s 33-13 victory on Sunday.

PFT has learned, via a league source, that Jones will be fined for his actions but that he will avoid a suspension just as he avoided being ejected by the officiating crew working the game in Oakland. Those officials flagged Jones for uneccesary roughness instead.

Cooper said after the game that he thought the officials would have handed down a “harsher penalty” if they had a better view of what Jones did, but said he didn’t think Jones should be suspended because they were “just playing physical.”

Over the summer, the league sent a memo to every team reminding them of the prohibitions against fighting and vowing that actions that break those rules will not be tolerated. It will likely be hard for many people to reconcile that stance with one that treats Jones’s act as not being worthy of discipline beyond a fine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/14/adam-jones-wont-be-suspended-for-slamming-amari-coopers-head/

Funny how this is the only thing people are talking about in that game, ...forget that it was a rout, ...or that we are leading the AFC North right now.

At least teams know to expect trouble if they start it, ...we'll finish it. 

We dish it out, ...we don't take it, ...those days are long gone.

Damn right. Cooper don't need no help! He's already been served. Pacman served him. He's taken care of. He's a little slow, but he got it. See, what he thought was he can come up here and make the rules. But now, he see that Pacman make the rules in the NFL, that the Bengals run this bitch, and now he 'bout to bounce! 

All of this mano y mano crap is all well and good if you are in the WWE. But even with something as benign as Iloka's penalty, things like this could potentially be game-changers. If one of these "I'm tougher than you" demonstrations costs us a game, does the tone then change to: "you can't do those things!"?     

I agree they don't need to do the stuff that draws penalties.

BUT, sometimes a little of this early in the season serves notice to opposing teams as they watch film. As this secondary gets known for their physical play and take no shit attitude, it will work to the team's advantage somewhere along the line as opposing receivers start to go more alligator arm. Swagger is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, this defense has missed that element from its game in taking the step to be elite at some point - with Tez out, glad it is coming from somewhere.

All of this mano y mano crap is all well and good if you are in the WWE. But even with something as benign as Iloka's penalty, things like this could potentially be game-changers. If one of these "I'm tougher than you" demonstrations costs us a game, does the tone then change to: "you can't do those things!"?    

I keep yammering about the transition going on in the defensive secondary and this is a big part of it.

Nutshelled, I think it's time to morph from a so-called heady veteran group to balls out bunch of young playmakers, and I'm willing to pay a price in exchange for more interceptions and splash plays.  

I keep yammering about the transition going on in the defensive secondary and this is a big part of it.

Nutshelled, I think it's time to morph from a so-called heady veteran group to balls out bunch of young playmakers, and I'm willing to pay a price in exchange for more interceptions and splash plays.  

Yup.

Again, be careful what you wish for. 

And the fact is Pac Man wasted what probably will be his only get out of jail free card on a shitty Oakland team during a blowout.  If there is a next incident it will probably be time off.    Save that crap for the Seahawks or fucking Stealers. 

Playing hard nosed football is one thing.  Doing dumb shit is something else.  What Adam did was dumb.

Will that crap intimidate some receivers?  Yes it will.

The other side of the coin is now you have savvy receivers from future games that now know they can get Pacman to react and are scheming how they are going to do it.  Adam isn't smart enough to figure it out.

yes, no, and maybe...  Lol 

I've always wondered how much of Pacman's check he gets to keep. Presumably the disabled guy who won a suit vs him from the Vegas shooting garnishes some of Pac's pay. Otherwise I'd expect him to be outside PBS protesting periodically. Jones is free to assign his checks to his wife to avoid garnishment but something like that would result in bad publicity.

I remember watching Michigan State a couple of years ago and saying THAT's the attitude I want in our secondary.  We end up with the central personality of that MSU defense (the No Fly Zone; the name alone suggests a unit that understands an identity is something you build and rally around) and I couldn't have been happier (anyone see that hit by Dennard in OAK?).  Kirpatrick was brought in the year before, and sure, he's "Swag," but it's the controlled version of that attitude that I'm excited about.

We didn't have the control on Sunday, but I guess getting the attitude is the first step.  

The corp is obviously Pac, Dre, Dennard, and Iloka in the backfield (although methinks I saw a little attitude and extra pop from Hall).  

Now we just need the other units to pick it up.  When Burfict is finally suited up next to Dawson, we're going to be a fearsome back 7.

I'm surprised Pacman only got fined, but the league may have been partly supporting the on-field official and partly recognizing that Cooper started it.

I wasn't bothered much by Iloka's taunting call.  Although he looked down at the receiver after the hit, I didn't think that stomp was so much a taunt as it was Iloka's being fired up and unfortunately having to step over the guy to get back for the next play.  He wasn't even looking at the guy anymore.

Archived