With everyone healthy, Bengals offense is balanced in opener

AP - Sports

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green (18) runs past Oakland Raiders defensive back Neiko Thorpe …

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The first throw went to tight end Tyler Eifert, who was out for all but eight plays last season.

It wasn't long before one went to Marvin Jones, who sat out all last season with injuries.

The Bengals' offense is intact and looking good.

Cincinnati spread it out with multiple formations and lots of options during an opening 33-13 win in Oakland on Sunday that felt more like a long-delayed unveiling. The Bengals had expected to look more like this last year, but never had everyone on the field.

''I'm happy that we did that,'' said Andy Dalton, who was 25 of 34 for 269 yards with two touchdowns to Eifert. ''It kind of sets the tone for the season.''

The first time out, the Bengals started emptying their playbook.

They went with four receivers and five receivers, loaded up with extra blockers for running plays, even had tackle Andrew Whitworth spread out in a slot position to block after a quick pass to a nearby receiver on one play.

''We have some flexibility with our players and their ability to line up at different spots and do different things,'' coach Marvin Lewis said.

They also showed they can run as well as throw it, finding a better balance than in the past.

''The first half and the beginning of the second half, I think we did a lot of great things,'' said Jeremy Hill, who ran for 63 yards and two touchdowns. ''We definitely showed what we're capable of doing with all the weapons we have as an offense.

''I think the sky is the limit for us, especially after just seeing some of the things we could do.''

Their receiving group was hit hard by injuries last season, when they went 10-5-1, got a wild card and lost their opening playoff game for the fourth season in a row. A.J. Green missed significant time with an injured foot and a concussion that kept him out of the playoff loss at Indianapolis.

In addition, Jones never got on the field because of foot and ankle injuries. Eifert suffered a severe elbow injury early in the season opener and never returned.

Eifert's injury was especially costly. The tight end led the way on Sunday in Oakland with a team-high nine catches for 104 yards. On both of his touchdown catches, Dalton threw his way because he was matched on a smaller defender.

''Just put it up there and let me go make a play on it,'' Eifert said.

Dalton and Eifert were in sync during training camp that has carried over to the season. With teams concentrating on Green, Eifert is getting more chances at the outset.

''I missed all of last year and we're still developing that relationship and the trust factor,'' Eifert said. ''So hopefully that keeps developing and the offense keeps putting up points.''

Dalton was eager to showcase the Bengals' many options. He wasn't sacked and had plenty of time to find an open receiver.

''It's great having all our guys back,'' Dalton said. ''Our guys played well. We spread it around, got both (running) backs going and that's what we wanted to do.''

Notes: Defensive end Michael Johnson was on the field for 38 of the defense's 66 plays after missing most of training camp with a sprained knee. ''I thought it was good to get him some snaps and get him going,'' Lewis said. ''So he'll be a step ahead next week, and that's good.'' ... Lewis again addressed several on-field issues with the team on Monday. Safety George Iloka was flagged for taunting after a tackle, and cornerback Adam ''Pacman'' Jones got a personal foul penalty for an altercation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/everyone-healthy-bengals-offense-balanced-opener-211408321--nfl.html

I don't know if anyone noticed this but it's not Andy Dalton that chokes in prime time games, ...it's the whole team.

Marvin needs to figure a way to fix that.

I concur.   Andy is the merely the most visible and the focal point of the entire team's failings.   With all of our weapons depleted last year the OL needed to dig deep and kick ass in the playoff game...instead they got their asses handed to them.  Same with the DL.   Inspired and dominant play, like last Sunday, seems to happen only in the daylight of Sunday afternoons in regular season.   It only makes a cameo appearance once in a while in the other time slots.

I am not a Dalton basher but, with 1 TD and 6 INTs coupled with a 57.8 QBR in four post season games he not only didn't help the team, he was largely responsible for the loss. He and Marvin Lewis need to step up, prepare and win playoff games before Bengals fans (and fans of the other 31 teams for that matter) get off their nuts about this.

I am incredibly excited about the possibilities for this season. This team, when healthy, is as dangerous as any in the NFL. I was ultra impressed with the diverse game plan on Sunday and hope that continues throughout the season.

I don't know if anyone noticed this but it's not Andy Dalton that chokes in prime time games, ...it's the whole team.

Marvin needs to figure a way to fix that.

Not sure how this turned into an Andy debate, but for the record I thought he played well on Sunday and I haven't been the biggest fan of Andy.  With that being said, I agree the whole team chokes, but you expect your "franchise" QB to help stop the bleeding.  When things go bad, good QBs are able to make a play and pick the team up.  When things go bad for us, it seems like Andy is helping to compound those issues.

Not sure how this turned into an Andy debate, but for the record I thought he played well on Sunday and I haven't been the biggest fan of Andy.  With that being said, I agree the whole team chokes, but you expect your "franchise" QB to help stop the bleeding.  

He's not a franchise QB.

The Bengals had no starting QB, yet they drafted a WR a full round before spending a 2nd round pick on Dalton.

And he's not getting paid like a franchise QB either.

He signed a very modest team friendly deal.

He's not a franchise QB.

The Bengals had no starting QB, yet they drafted a WR a full round before spending a 2nd round pick on Dalton.

...and yet, ....the receiver will still drop the ball when it's thrown perfectly right at him.

He's not a franchise QB.

Which was the right decision.  2011 was a crap draft for QBs, and they got one of the top 3 in that draft.

Imagine how bad we would be right now if we had passed on Green for Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder.

Archived